• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berlingo Conversion

Be Free, Be Safe, Be Happy and most of all Enjoy Yourself

Looks like a lot of hard work to me!

Comment

Amazing! but like Caz pointed out, it seemed to take a long time to put it all up. A bit annoying to have to dismantle it all again because you needed to pop to the shops!

Comment

Sorry to disagree but I thought it a very clever and useable conversion. The first thirty seconds shows the “outside kitchen” followed by the “assembly process” which takes only a little over 3 minutes of the video, the remainder shows off the various features.

We have a traditional dome shaped awning which takes many times longer to erect and much the same to dismantle. It does have one redeeming virtue, the van can be disconnected and driven away leaving the awning freestanding. I believe there are more user friendly awnings available now.

I expect the design of the Berlingo conversion might be developed to streamline the set up process but am sure a good few people would like it in its present state. Whether it could be built by a commercial firm and sold at an attractive price is a separate issue. I saw this conversion video a couple of years ago and wanted to link to the video in my post on the “Advice on a small camper van that I can use as my main car” thread but couldn’t find the video.

Thanks to Teloupee for linking to this video.

Comment

I wouldn't blood to have to put it together in the rain.

One of the advantages of our Romahome is that there is no setting up

Peter

Comment

Okay it will give more room to spread out in, but the MPG will go down a fair bit, seen a back like it the maker said its heavey to pull out, but its a quick set up.
            I think the drive away awning is the way to go, easy to put up, detach when wanting to go out, 2meter square gives sleeping area, plus with screens ideal for getting dressed or strip washes as your not crunched up inside the van when not on site. Light enough to take out when not camping and will not bother the MPG to much.
            But for fit people a good idea.

Comment

This is giving me too many ideas and inspiration. The Berlingo has always been my preferred base vehicle but just a little too small for all I need to carry for a longer trip. I like this slide-out idea but it could be vastly simplified with a fitted slide-out pod for overnight sleeping (in van - just feet in pod) to avoid all that unnecessary setting up. Hmmm.... I like it and am already sketching more practical ideas...
              Last edited by karenw; 30-11-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Like your thinking Karen. Two of my favourite ideas are “Small is beautiful” and “KISS”.
                My ideal would be small enough to fit in a standard car parking space combined with simple and quick to extend to make a comfortable space. It would ideally be set up in less time than it takes to erect an awning to address Peter’s point about “doing it in the rain” and equally quick to return to driving mode.
                Maybe easy for a solo traveller, possible for two but difficult for more than two?

Comment

It is nice, but I think very soon after continual assembly / disassembly the parts would no longer click together and stay in place. I am sure a cleverer slide in slide out pod, could be made, (basically a box with one side missing - the side facing forwards). This would simply slide out thereby extending the leg room in sleep mode. And maybe a separate kitchen pod to stand outside either in the open or under an awning.
                  Jon
                  Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                  https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment