The Veepod fold out sleeping space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Veepod fold out sleeping space

A bed on a floor which stores vertically immediately inside the rear door(s) and folds out pulling with it a tent enclosure. It occupies only about ten inches of space when stowed.

I saw this at the Peterborough show in 2016 but couldn’t remember the product name or find it by a Google search. I thought it was a good product but too expensive at £1250. I have not been able to find any later developments but at least the web site is maintained: http://veepod.co.uk/#top

I have no connection with Veepod but hope it might be useful to someone here even if only as inspiration!

With a tailgate rather than barn doors it might be possible to add insulated sides to make it a bit more comfortable and perhaps extend its use into the colder months.

Hmmm, it seems to have all of the disadvantages of a camper van together with the disadvantages of a tent as a bonus.

Comment

There was something similar to that in the 70s on Vauxhall/Bedford Viva vans. 'Tweren't very good either!

Comment

Oh dear, Misted , that went down like a ton of bricks didn't it? Never mind! Thanks for posting, I for one love looking at different ideas for campers, even though I'm not yet ready to give up on caravanning.
        Cynthia.

Comment

Thank you Cynthia for your kind encouragement, I too take an interest in campers particularly small ones. Haven’t cracked the quart into a pint pot conundrum yet.

I didn’t expect the Veepod to be of much interest as I think many members of this forum either own or aspire to own a Romahome or similar. Others have moved on to alternatives that better suit their needs. I think all of those options offer a much more civilised and comfortable experience than the half van half tent Veepod. But although it appears not to have found a market I think there is a good idea or two there.

Montyburns56 fashions a good turn of phrase but has not shared with us what are “all of the disadvantages of a camper van” or “the disadvantages of a tent” to which he objects.

Comment

I think it might Danbury Campervans that make a glassfibre pod that slides out of the back of a VW T5/T6 which houses the bed, which makes the living space bigger. My only concern with this would be water getting in through the joins and having the tailgate left open in all weathers. Personally the simpler it is the better it is, less is more in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Misted View Post

Montyburns56 fashions a good turn of phrase but has not shared with us what are “all of the disadvantages of a camper van” or “the disadvantages of a tent” to which he objects.
              I meant the fact that you have the lack of protection/insulation compared to a camper van, but without the roominess that a big tent can give compared to a small camper van. I didn't mean to offend anyone or dismiss the concept, I just struggle to see what kind of customer would be interested in purchasing one of these?

Comment

Thanks for your reply Montyburns and apologies if my response appears curt.

I believe there are many customers for a compact vehicle which can meet the requirements of a couple who want to wild camp. We like the classic Romahome internal layout but I would not buy a vehicle with such a long rear overhang and also require walkthrough from cab to hab.

We very much liked our Stimson Tirol, a compact van (4.4 m long) which nearly met our requirements but had no insulation to the body and canvas sides to the pop up roof. It was good in warm weather but less so when colder. Before that we had tents, 2 man then 4 man never bigger. We were used to being chilly on occasions but the lack of insulation was not the principal reason we bought a bigger panel van to convert.

A hard shell slideout with insulation would be attractive but heavier and a lot more expensive than a canvas sided extension.

Berlingo and similar camper vans especially those with pop up roofs IMHO offer no more protection or insulation than the Veepod although they could be better insulated if one was willing to pay for that, £££ and extra weight.

Apart from the cost and weight of an insulated hard shell I suspect the wall thickness might reduce the internal space too much in a narrow van.

I like the look of the Doubleback but it has not been a commercial success, just too expensive I believe.

The Veepod was not a new idea here is an earlier version:

image_17742.jpg

Comment

If you want a proper campervan, actually this is a motorhome as it has a coachbuilt body, the Adria Compact has this slide-out bed sticking out the back. This link goes to a video done by a chap called Alan Heath, who does the most boring, least interesting, wobbly videos of campers on Youtube. He does lots of them, but his presentation is about a million miles behind Graham's;
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIk0_JWHLoQ

If you can't stand listening to him for more than ten seconds, go to one of the other video reviews of the vehicle.
                  I went in one and had a look and thought it was quite nice. With a full sized bed in a 6 metre motorhome, which is only the same width as the cab at the front is very appealing. I wouldn't buy one for two reasons: I have had terrible experience of an electric bed, and Adria have this stupid wash basin with no plug: As soon as the water comes out of the tap it goes straight down the drain. That is OK if you are plumbed into a permanent supply of free running water and you have a free supply of gas to heat it with but otherwise personally just that thing alone prevents me from buying one and I have told the dealers so.
                  The king knows all that they intend by interception which they dream not of.

Comment

I think this review is better, shorter and starts with the only part of interest, the slideout:

The Practical Motorhome Adria Compact SLS review
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3RIg2Llu8

Terrible tip up sink as you say!

It’s only 5.990 metres long (6.990 with the bed extended) so ideal for a bit of inconspicuous wild camping.

Only £54,625, should I have two, his and hers?

Comment

Originally posted by Misted View Post

Only £54,625, should I have two, his and hers?
                      Obviously yes, but you would have to add say £3000 to each price so you could have them resprayed, one pink and one blue so you know which is whose.
                      The king knows all that they intend by interception which they dream not of.

Comment

Don't fancy pink or blue, perhaps cammo pattern in leafy green shades.

Comment

gasgas some of us don't have £54k to spend on a motorhome. At the moment I couldn't even run to £5K.

The original post holds more interest to me as a 'budget' camper. Although I have the Fleurette Tamaris at the moment, it's 25 years old and once past its usable state I will probably have to look for a microcamper of some sort, with perhaps a Caranex to attach to the rear.

I looked again at the Veepod but one of the things that concerns me slightly is the lack of any support under the pod's front end. I know the makers say 'Make sure you sleep with your head at the front end', which means most of your body weight will be nearer the centre of gravity of the vehicle+pod. I'd love to see one 'in the flesh' and get touchy-feely with it.
                          ​​​​​​​Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                            Although I have the Fleurette Tamaris at the moment, it's 25 years old and once past its usable state I will probably have to look for a microcamper of some sort.....
                            Hello CyberCynth, I know nothing about caravans so please excuse the silly question:
                            What is your Fleurette made of? Is it not possible to keep it going indefinitely by timely maintenance and perhaps a larger repair if and when needed?

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                            I looked again at the Veepod but one of the things that concerns me slightly is the lack of any support under the pod's front end. I know the makers say 'Make sure you sleep with your head at the front end', which means most of your body weight will be nearer the centre of gravity of the vehicle+pod. I'd love to see one 'in the flesh' and get touchy-feely with it.
                            ​​​​​​​Cynthia.
                            What is your concern about lack of support at the front end of the pod?
                            I did have a look inside and out at the Peterborough show, nearly 3 years ago, and took some photos but can’t find the latter.

My memory suggests that the base of the pod was plywood or similar in an aluminium frame hinged at the floor within the rear door(s).
                            The front of the bed rests on the rear door cill and the back is supported by the tension wires attached to the aluminium posts in the door opening.

The makers say the max load is 200kg but it has been proof tested to 400kg

I wonder whether there are any examples of the Veepod available to inspect?

Comment

Hi Misted , thanks for your reply and interest.

Not sure about the construction of the Fleurette, i think the front and rear of the caravan is GRP but the sides are not. They seem like a thin layer of ?aluminium over the traditional sandwich of insulation over a timber frame. I don't know, I'm only guessing and I can't find anything specific about Fleurette construction on doing a google search.

Theoretically it must be possible to keep mine going indefinitely but I'm worried about the cost of future repairs as I'm not at all confident with DIY stuff and would probably make matters worse! I shall be having a full habitation service in June (I wouldn't normally bother but there are a few things needing attention) and thereafter just an annual running gear and gas safety check service. I should be able to keep the Fleurette going for a few years yet as long as no major faults occur.

In my last post I should have said I was worried about the weight on the back of the Veepod, not the front. It seems the back of the unit is unsupported, which would worry me slightly. Last time I used a Caranex I had an extension sewn onto the side of it, doubling the width and making it a much more practical unit. In the event of a return to camping I'd probably revert to that.
                              Cynthia.

Comment