This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insulating a van?

i have decided i will camp all year round and want to insulate the van just wondered if anyone on here had done it and what did they use?

I intend to use Reflectix, closed cell foam mat and aerosol foam.

Comment

I used the silver bubble wrap stuff DIY centres sell for loft insulation.

Not totally convinced! But its hard to tell how good it is unless you have 2 identical vans with and without it to compare!

Dave
      SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
      "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

Originally posted by steamydave View Post
        I used the silver bubble wrap stuff DIY centres sell for loft insulation.

Not totally convinced! But its hard to tell how good it is unless you have 2 identical vans with and without it to compare!

Dave
        i will have a look in a few diy places and see whats there.

Comment

Avoid the fibre glass stuff. They sell it now in sealed bags - good, but it was too thick - bad, so I took it apart - very bad. If you use it, make sure you wear overalls, gloves,face mask and goggles if possible. If you open the bag like I did, you are back to the old problems of the fine particles causing problems. Don't breathe in the dust!

If you can keep it in the sealed bags, then that's fine.:so happy:

Dave

Comment

I would use the squirty foam stuff. It's cheap enough and the principal is that air is the best insulator. It gets in all the nooks and crannies. Just make sure the cavity is sealed coz if you want to get in there after you have squirted it in, it's going to be difficult. If using it where electrical cables are running make sure you go one size up on cross sectional area to compensate for heat retention when the cables are surrounded by insulation.
            :jump for joy:Jimish

Comment

I used the bubble foil insulation for the walls and roof then packed the cavities with bagged glass fibre insulation, cut - then resealed to fit.

I think it has made a difference. My husband's car of the same model parks beside my van and becomes very hot in warm weather whereas my van is significantly cooler - although I have only small side windows in the rear with an 85% tint which will account for at least some of this difference.

It hasn't yet been tested in winter...

Comment

Originally posted by jimish View Post
                I would use the squirty foam stuff. It's cheap enough and the principal is that air is the best insulator. It gets in all the nooks and crannies. Just make sure the cavity is sealed coz if you want to get in there after you have squirted it in, it's going to be difficult. If using it where electrical cables are running make sure you go one size up on cross sectional area to compensate for heat retention when the cables are surrounded by insulation.

i need to insulate the sides ,roof and maybe the floor in my combo :so happy:

Comment

I forgot to insulate under the floor, or at least was too much of a hurry.

Still, the carpet will help, and I have bubble-wrapped the undersides of the bed sections etc!

Dave

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X