This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what does my vauxhall combo come under?

theres no windows in the back but will have a movelite awning so bit confused as to what category it would come under when booking a campsite?
    i also heared some sites are fussy when it comes to commercial vehicles? as anyone had trouble booking their van onto a campsite?

Hi

You may find that without rear and side windows, your Combo isn't accepted on campsites. The C&CC stipulate that vehicles must have windows on all sides (and curtains!) and a lot of independent sites also state 'No commercial vehicles allowed' in the T&Cs as well as at their entrance.

I had to put fit windows into my Kangoo to comply for the few times when I need to use a site. Prior to this, the only site which accepted it was Pencelli Castle Camping Park near Brecon - a very smart and expensive site, but one which doesn't 'inspect' vehicles on arrival.

If you're looking to use campsites then I think you'll have to fit those windows, whether you want them or not...

Comment

i really cant see me putting windows in the side but i will check with campsites first and hopefully some will allow me in.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
        Hi

You may find that without rear and side windows, your Combo isn't accepted on campsites. The C&CC stipulate that vehicles must have windows on all sides (and curtains!) and a lot of independent sites also state 'No commercial vehicles allowed' in the T&Cs as well as at their entrance.

I had to put fit windows into my Kangoo to comply for the few times when I need to use a site. Prior to this, the only site which accepted it was Pencelli Castle Camping Park near Brecon - a very smart and expensive site, but one which doesn't 'inspect' vehicles on arrival.

If you're looking to use campsites then I think you'll have to fit those windows, whether you want them or not...
        what if i use my tent and park the van as i would if i had a car?

Comment

Taking a tent may be a way around this. On some sites though, you would have to leave the van outside or at/near the entrance as they are very strict about having no commercial vehicles on the site.

If you want to retain flexibility and keep your options open, you might need to rethink about those side and rear windows. They're not too expensive - eg I paid £25 to have each of the side windows cut from laminated glass, the rubber was about £5 and the fitting tool £12. Although I didn't want the windows, I have found them useful and have no regrets. I'd do the same again in a future van - something I didn't think I'd be saying...!

Comment

Taking a tent may be a way around this. On some sites though, you would have to leave the van outside or at/near the entrance as they are very strict about having no commercial vehicles on the site.

If you want to retain flexibility and keep your options open, you might need to rethink about those side and rear windows. They're not too expensive - eg I paid £25 to have each of the side windows cut from laminated glass, the rubber was about £5 and the fitting tool £12. Although I didn't want the windows, I have found them useful and have no regrets. I'd do the same again in a future van - something I didn't think I'd be saying...!
            who fitted them for you did they supply the glass?

Comment

I ordered the glass from a local glazing firm and we cut the holes in the van and fitted them ourselves. It was an easy job but fitting them into the rubber strip was a bit fiddly. We also cut holes in the roof for a solar-powered fan and Fiamma roof vent. It was the first time we'd ever done this and the hardest bit was making that very first cut and knowing there was no going back!

Comment

I ordered the glass from a local glazing firm and we cut the holes in the van and fitted them ourselves. It was an easy job but fitting them into the rubber strip was a bit fiddly. We also cut holes in the roof for a solar-powered fan and Fiamma roof vent. It was the first time we'd ever done this and the hardest bit was making that very first cut and knowing there was no going back!
                where did you buy the rubber strip from?
                i will have to get windows in the sides i can be ringing everyone in advance to see if they accept vans.

i wont do the window fitting so i will ask about locally

Comment

You should be able to buy the rubber strip from the glass supplier. However, if you're not doing it yourself, then it's probably best to ask for a supply and fit quote.

The average cost per cut is about £80 + VAT which quickly mounts up if you're fitting rear and side windows (and roof vents as well) hence we opted for DIY. It's actually a very easy job if you have a jigsaw and a steady hand and takes about 2 hours per window for a complete novice. You could save some ££...!

Comment

... 'No commercial vehicles allowed' in the T&Cs as well as at their entrance...
                    With my grumpy old man hat on I find this difficult to understand and irritating. What next ... "no blacks, no gypsies, no eastern Europeans etc..."
                    The only reason they (site owners) get away with it is because we all quietly acquiesce.
                    As recent court cases prove, hotel owners cannot be "choosy" about their guests, why than, do camping sites get away with it?

If my Kangoo is not good enough for them they can stick it but I'd rather they (site owners) were educated about error of their ways.

Chris
                    ps if this is considered too OT, I am happy to split it into separate subject.

Comment

Our local campsite takes it a step further, they don't even accept self-builds or 'any type of conversion'.

I can understand them wanting to keep 'travellers' (their word) off the site but to bar self-builds, many of which are done to a high standard, seems wrong.

Do you have a Kangoo car or van? If it's the car then this should be acceptable. If it's the panel then this would probably be barred as a commercial vehicle.

Comment

Mine is van (un-marked) and will remain so.
                        It is mostly used for staying at gliding clubs, but I had hopes of using it elsewhere.
                        It would seem that only option left for the likes of myself is wild camping.

And as for "travellers" ... they (site owners) may want to keep them out, but I have no doubt that if it were to be tested in a court of law it would be found illegal to discriminate against "travellers".
                        (I wouldn't worry though I guess they don't want to mix with us either).

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by bambuko View Post
                          Mine is van (un-marked) and will remain so.
                          It is mostly used for staying at gliding clubs, but I had hopes of using it elsewhere.
                          It would seem that only option left for the likes of myself is wild camping.

And as for "travellers" ... they (site owners) may want to keep them out, but I have no doubt that if it were to be tested in a court of law it would be found illegal to discriminate against "travellers".
                          (I wouldn't worry though I guess they don't want to mix with us either).

Chris
                          hi have you rang about or tried to use it on campsites?
                          i phoned 3 and 2 said no

Comment

There's a campsite in Dumfries & Galloway which states in their rules and regs that caravans over a certain age and not looking their best will not be allowed on site. So that rules me out then! So not just vans in some cases!

Comment

Stayed on a site in the Lake District a few years ago and they gave me the third degree over my vehicle. If it looked anything like a van it was a big no-no. Also there were static caravans on site and the people who rented them could have a dog but we weren't allowed to in the tent.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X