No announcement yet.

Building A Vauxhall Combo Micro Camper.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have chosen flat figure of eight cable for my final circuits as it is both double insulated and easy to run. The rating of the wire (35 amp) is sufficiently high enough to cover any possible demands, especially on the cigarette lighter sockets. Where possible I have routed the cables along with the main vehicle harness and when rising or crossing the van I have gone within the panel voids. When running through panel voids it's of vast importance to secure the cables (zip ties and self adhesive anchor points). This will prevent rubbing or rattle issues down the line.

Comment

Great progress so far. How satisfying to have the knowledge, skills and energy to realise your vision! Have you decided on type of fridge? The compressor + solar panel seem to be gaining popularity for the type of travel you have in mind. Good luck with next stage....looking forward to photos.

Comment

Thank you for your positive encouragement CJ.UK.
        Yesterday saw me with a night off. I went to watch Beauty and the Beast at my son's school. The end of a journey I'm afraid as that's the last school production I will attend (the youngest of my three sons is all but finished with school now).
        Today I managed to brave the wind and the rain and get a bit done on the van.
        I removed the old temporary plywood floor and cut two access holes for my leisure battery compartment and gas bottle storage compartment. I made a plywood template, drew round it and cut the metal with a slitting disc in the angle grinder.

Comment

I will dress the compartments up later in the build, I just needed to get the messy job of cutting metal out of the way. Each compartment will have a lid which will form part of the main floor and will be removable from the top. Particularly important in the case of the gas storage compartment as I have to (because of the dimensions of the box) use campingaz cylinders

Comment

Next job was to tape over any and all holes, manufactured or otherwise, in the ribs of the van. This particular job is very important and there are a couple of good reasons to do so. Firstly, as I intend to felt/fabric line the exposed structure of the van I do not want any divots or holes to be visible (other than the natural contouring of the panel). Secondly these holes within the ribs have a tendency to leach muck. By taping over the holes with a strong duct type tape you can prevent this from occurring.
            As you can see I also secured two long strips of 6mm plywood to either side of the van where the side meets with the roof. I'm going to build two rectangular cupboards (one on either side) with pigeon holes in the front for extra storage. The plywood will offer a little bit more strength to the back of the clipboards and, in this case, is better than just tape.

Comment

Great job you're doing there DANTAGE and very speedily too !!

Comment

Thank you SandraM. I have to maintain the momentum otherwise I have a tendency to relax and that will force the project to a grinding halt.
                Today we've had to set some time to one side for soft furnishings.
                In order for the rear of the van to function as a sleeping area it's obviously very important to be able to shut off the cab area. This will be achieved by a simple draw curtain. The van has a factory fitted cab parcel shelf above the driver/passenger seats. I have ordered a 1m length of curtain track called "silent gliss" for this. This particular type of track is commonly used in campervan/motorhome/caravan/boat applications and is durable (being made of aluminium) and is available in a range of profiles with a whole compliment of hooks and eyes and ends.
                We then went shopping for the fabric and came home with three cuts of medium dense material. The curtain will be made up of composite layers, plain on the cab side, black out in the middle, patterned on the sleeping side. We are currently trying to work out how to incorporate elasticated pockets onto the curtain to add additional storage.

Comment

Comment

It was late by the time the sewing machine got switched off last night but a curtain was born!!

Comment

Today I have managed to line the internal, skeletal, ribbed steel sections of the van. As these would ordinarily be seen or exposed it's always better if you can soften the edges a little and make it less "tin tent" like. Liberal amounts of contact adhesive sprayed both to the van and the lining allows for a good bond. When working the material into and around the contours of the vehicle it's advisable to warm the area/material with a hairdryer. This allows the material to stretch a little and hug the lines.

Comment

Comment

Earlier you wrote of getting a 5 litre petrol can for your water tank. I think you would do better to get 5 litre bottles of drinking water from Tesco for nothingpence halfpenny. You could still stick a submersible pump in the bottle and it is 'potable' quality plastic so avoiding any possible green or black plastic tasting water. I like your lining work, that is excellent with no folds or kinks.
                          You forgot to mention that all the doors must be opened when spraying or spreading contact adhesive over a big area. I did cork bathroom floor tiles once with Evostick, and when I got up to leave the room I fell over. Why on earth kids sniff the stuff I have no idea.
                          Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself.

Comment

Very good point that gasgas thank you. It is absolutely necessary to adequately ventilate the area you're working in when applying contact adhesive. Aside from the carcinogenic warning this type of adhesive carries it also has the ability to leave you feeling like you've just been kicked in the head by a donkey with boots on.
                            Thank you for the compliment too gasgas.

Comment

A very neat job. So satisfying when you tackle a job yourself and it ends up looking good. Well done. I'm watching closely as I do love a creation

Comment

Thank you SandraM.

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X