Nissan NV200 no more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nissan NV200 no more

I have read that Nissan are dropping the NV200, with the exception of the electric version and replacing it with a Nissan NV250, which is basically a rebadged Renault Kangoo. The good thing is that the NV250 and I assume the Kangoo equivalent comes in a LWB version which gives you a 2.1m cargo platform enabling a full length one piece bed. I believe the Fiat Doblo/Vauxhall Combo already offer a similar option.

... And just when I had decided that was the very vehicle for me in a couple of years when I go back to campervanning!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      ... And just when I had decided that was the very vehicle for me in a couple of years when I go back to campervanning!
      I think there may be a few good secondhand ones still around when you need one

Comment

That's a shame. I always felt that it would have been a good idea to have a long base NV200, though. I'm really happy with mine. I found a video of the new one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHyYDfqGAi4

Comment

I looked at the LWB Kangoo and Citan passenger carriers, but ruled them out because the floor isn't flat. The NV200 is shorter but felt more spacious to me. It's a shame they're discontinuing the NV200, but hopefully it will make ours worth a bit more!

Comment

It was always an odd decision by Nissan to develop the NV200 in the first place. It shares most of its underpinnings with the Kangoo in any case so it never quite made sense, at least in Europe, for Nissan to sell a bespoke bodied version. It perhaps made sense in other markets around Asia where there is still a preference for narrower but taller small vans. The more likely explanation though is that Nissan spent billions developing the NV200 as an electric van and wanted to prove it could do it better than its Alliance partner Renault (who make the electric Kangoo ZE). This likely also explains why the e-NV200 will continue rather than just rebadging the electric version of the Kangoo.

Few people will remember it now but Nissan has badge engineered the Kangoo before. It used to sell the first generation Kangoo badged as the Nissan Kubistar, which the NV200 replaced.

Its ironic that the small van segment is booming yet there are really only 3 different vans on sale, just rebadged my multiple firms. You have the PSA offering sold as a Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Vauxhall/Opel Combo and the soon-to-be-released Toyota Pro-Ace City; Then you have the Alliance offering sold as a Renault Kangoo, Mercedes Citan and now the Nissan NV250; and lastly the Fiat Doblo which soldiers on alone in Europe but is sold with a Ram badge in the USA. Given that Fiat are now rebaging the Renault Trafic (as the Fiat Talento) for their medium sized van you have to wonder if they might drop the Doblo and start rebadging the Kangoo as well.

Edit: i lied, there are 2 other vans in the segment - The Ford Transit Connect and the VW Caddy
            Last edited by Rob B; 02-07-2019, 13:45.
            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Nissan produce a pop top campervan conversion of the electric NV 200 at their factory in Spain and have done since 2018. Intended for the European and Japanese markets.

I believe it has a 40kw battery pack.

It certainly looks impressive.

They also produce the NV 300 a larger campervan conversion, but, not electric.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                It was always an odd decision by Nissan to develop the NV200 in the first place. It shares most of its underpinnings with the Kangoo in any case so it never quite made sense, at least in Europe, for Nissan to sell a bespoke bodied version. It perhaps made sense in other markets around Asia where there is still a preference for narrower but taller small vans. The more likely explanation though is that Nissan spent billions developing the NV200 as an electric van and wanted to prove it could do it better than its Alliance partner Renault (who make the electric Kangoo ZE). This likely also explains why the e-NV200 will continue rather than just rebadging the electric version of the Kangoo.

Few people will remember it now but Nissan has badge engineered the Kangoo before. It used to sell the first generation Kangoo badged as the Nissan Kubistar, which the NV200 replaced.

Its ironic that the small van segment is booming yet there are really only 3 different vans on sale, just rebadged my multiple firms. You have the PSA offering sold as a Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Vauxhall/Opel Combo and the soon-to-be-released Toyota Pro-Ace City; Then you have the Alliance offering sold as a Renault Kangoo, Mercedes Citan and now the Nissan NV250; and lastly the Fiat Doblo which soldiers on alone in Europe but is sold with a Ram badge in the USA. Given that Fiat are now rebaging the Renault Trafic (as the Fiat Talento) for their medium sized van you have to wonder if they might drop the Doblo and start rebadging the Kangoo as well.

Edit: i lied, there are 2 other vans in the segment - The Ford Transit Connect and the VW Caddy
                You are very well informed. I'm still glad they did make it, though. I talked to Adrian Flux today and could only describe it as a van derived car (the combi that is).. which it is I think and which I would struggle to describe any of the other offers by.

Comment

Isn't the NV300 just a rebadged Renault Tragic?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                    Isn't the NV300 just a rebadged Renault Tragic?

Peter
                    Yes and no. The current NV300 is a joint product of the Nissan/Renault Alliance and has more than a bit of Nissan engineering and componentry in it – the engines are all Nissan for example. You are right though in as much as the Trafic and NV300 are essentially identical.

Comment

Originally posted by marc288 View Post

You are very well informed. I'm still glad they did make it, though. I talked to Adrian Flux today and could only describe it as a van derived car (the combi that is).. which it is I think and which I would struggle to describe any of the other offers by.
                      The Kangoo and by extension the NV200 are both derived from the Renault Scenic platform so your combi is in fact a car, derived from a van, derived from a car!

The PSA vans are essentially rebodies of the Citroen C4 Picasso MPV which in turn can trace its roots all the way back to the Peugeot 306 car of the mid-90s.. Likewise the Doblo is car derived, its platform a development of the Fiat Punto architecture.

Comment

Where do you get all this stuff from Rob B ?! Our very own SMF walking encyclopaedia! (Cars/vans/campers/motorhomes/caravans/trailer tents/tent section)
                        Amazing knowledge. I think you should try your luck on BBC Mastermind next year!
                        A well-impressed Cynthia.

P.S., is there anyone else out there who is old enough to remember encyclopaedias? You know, that huge set of heavy, dust-gathering tomes that one leafed through back in the days of yore before we forgot how to research anything for ourselves!

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                          Where do you get all this stuff from Rob B ?! Our very own SMF walking encyclopaedia! (Cars/vans/campers/motorhomes/caravans/trailer tents/tent section)
                          Amazing knowledge. I think you should try your luck on BBC Mastermind next year!

P.S., is there anyone else out there who is old enough to remember encyclopaedias? You know, that huge set of heavy, dust-gathering tomes that one leafed through back in the days of yore before we forgot how to research anything for ourselves!
                          You're too kind, I just read up that's all. My Dad worked in the car industry for 40 odd years so you pick up the odd thing or two.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

I do. My parents have one that didn't have a chance to gather dust as I was reading them so often. I wanted to know everything about everything. They are more or less falling apart now. It's alienating to think that not too long ago, that was almost the only way to find something out quickly. It's very difficult, even for us 'oldies' to imagine a world without the web or before the web.

Rob B's knowledge is very impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post

Yes and no. The current NV300 is a joint product of the Nissan/Renault Alliance and has more than a bit of Nissan engineering and componentry in it – the engines are all Nissan for example. You are right though in as much as the Trafic and NV300 are essentially identical.
                              Don't forget the Vauxhall Movano and Fiat Tallento are also in the same design stable.
                              What will Vauxhall's next offering be - now that they are part of Peugot Citroen group?
                              Jon

Comment