This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kangoo front folding seats

As far as I know Kangoo seats are not fold-able. Yet when looking at recently advertised Kangoo Joey for sale I noticed that (at least) passenger seat appears to be folding permitting the bed to extend all the way to the front:

I would dearly love to have front folding seat like this, preferably on driver's side.

Any ideas?

thanks
    Chris

I have a 2002 Kangoo van, previously had a 2004 Kangoo Roo and my husband has a 2005 Kangoo car. The front seats can be pushed forwards and then tilted so that it's possible to create a sleeping area of approx 6' 6".

Certain models of the Kangoo van have a passenger seat which folds flat but you really don't need this.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
      ...front seats can be pushed forwards and then tilted...
      That is indeed the case with my Kangoo.

...so that it's possible to create a sleeping area of approx 6' 6"...
      Actually it is exactly only 6' 4" or 193 cm.

...Certain models of the Kangoo van have a passenger seat which folds flat...
      That explains the picture attached to my first post.

...but you really don't need this...
      And how do you know this? It always amuses me how people of average height don't seem to be able to imagine that some of us might have problems caused by being above average

If I could get 6' 6" I would be ecstatic. So now that Karen has confirmed that there are no fold-able driver's seat in Kangoos, perhaps somebody has a solution for me?

One possibility is extending seat rails to allow couple of inches more forward movement?

Chris

Comment

If you need extra length, then the easiest way could be to raise the height of the bed. Without going outside to measure mine, I think it's about 460mm. I could remeasure the length this achieves but it's definitely more than 6'. The downside of raising the bed will mean you lose the headroom when using it as a seat in the rear. I designed mine so that I have ample length (I'm just under 5'9") but can also sit in the rear without my head touching the roof!)

Comment

We have a Kangoo Joey with a different configeration, both seat slide forward with the backs of driver and passenger seats both tilted forward to their maximum. We then have brackets which slot into the floor, which in turn support a cushion which runs across the width of the van, providing the extra length.

Our bed when made up is 31" x 6'6", which is very cosy for two "thinnish" people and plenty of room for one of any size.

We sleep really well when camping, so far this summer have made 9 different trips, managing to walk many miles of coastal footpaths around Gt Britain, perhaps all the walking encourages sound sleep.

Comment

Yes Karen, you are right about trade off between bed height and length.
            My bed is 12" (30 cm) high without cushions/mattresses, giving 38" (96 cm) headroom. That is barely high enough for me. By the time I add 3" cushions I have to crouch to sit on it.
            As both you and Sanjuan say - if you are under 6' high there is absolutely no problem
            There is an easy solution (often suggested to me before) - chop my legs off

Chris

Comment

Passenger van seats on Kangoo's fold flat so I presume if you find a left had drive Kangoo in a breakers yard the right hand seat should fold aswell.
              Worth a try to get comfortable.

Comment

That is really good idea Peter!
                BTW - it is only some passenger seats that fold - mine doesn't
                Don't know where to start the search (not many breakers yards where I live) but maybe something will come up

Chris

Comment

I was just looking at a similar problem (Not the Kangoo or bed length), and one of the solutions I'm looking at is swivel front seats. It maybe a bit of an over-kill, but might just solve your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bambuko View Post
                    That is really good idea Peter!
                    BTW - it is only some passenger seats that fold - mine doesn't
                    Don't know where to start the search (not many breakers yards where I live) but maybe something will come up

Chris
                    There are a few kangoo seats for sale on ebay at the mo, you could ask the sellers if any are the folding type?? Otherwise, there are quite a few online parts/breakers.
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by Brindle View Post
                      I was just looking at a similar problem (Not the Kangoo or bed length), and one of the solutions I'm looking at is swivel front seats. It maybe a bit of an over-kill, but might just solve your problem.
                      The swivel seat mechanism in our old Motorhome raised the seats by a good few inches, worth bearing in mind if you go down this route, as viseability maybe hampered, especially as you say you are 6ft+ tall!!
                      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by peterfowden View Post
                        Passenger van seats on Kangoo's fold flat so I presume if you find a left had drive Kangoo in a breakers yard the right hand seat should fold aswell.
                        Worth a try to get comfortable.
                        Wouldn't the steering wheel be in the way...?

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                          The swivel seat mechanism in our old Motorhome raised the seats by a good few inches, worth bearing in mind if you go down this route, as viseability maybe hampered, especially as you say you are 6ft+ tall!!
                          Swivels are available for Kangoos and don't raise the seat height at all. They're a standard fixture on the passenger seat of a Roo. About 5 years ago they cost about £400. Could be a solution....

Comment

Yes Karen, that is my concern also, but if you look at the folded seat (I managed to find a photo on interweb) you might just get away with it (after removing headrest):

Chris

Comment

That looks a very nifty seat and could be a simple solution. I've looked at lots of Kangoos but haven't yet spotted one with the folding seat - you've just given me the encouragement to seek one out!

When my 10 year old Kangoo falls apart I'll be replacing it with another (or something very similar) and if the folding seat arrangement works then I could be interested in sourcing one myself so I'm very keen to hear how you get on. Although I'm under 6' anything that makes better use of the space available, while also keeping life simple, has to be good!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X