This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small awning with sewn in grounsheet

im looking for an awning that i could maybe use to sleep in that wont be drafty that i can use all year round so im looking for one with a sewn in groundsheet.
    it will need to fit on the back of my van not the side..
    thanks

The movelite square should fit the bill. It would fit over the back, and has a separate inner bedroom with sewn in groundsheet. Although the groundsheet for the inside of just the awning isn't sewn in, it has mudflaps all around which help keep out the draughts. They are pretty expensive - however, I've had mine for 4 summers now, and it hasn't let me down. All I've had to do is buy a new set of poles for it this year.

http://www.bowenawnings.co.uk/awning...te-square.html

I think you would have to be pretty hardy to use any awning to sleep in all year round though, Jason! It's only a posh tent when all's said and done.

Comment

It's 20 quid cheaper from amazon.

MOVELITE SQUARE

Although the picture shows it on the side of a van it will fit on the rear as well.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I wonder if there is such a thing as a CANVAS awning? I know canvas is much, much heavier than nylon, but, from my decades of camping experience, I know how much warmer canvas is than nylon when there is frost lying on the ground.

On the other hand, perhaps one could use an extra inner tent inside the awning for additional insulation?

Will be interested to follow this thread.
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
          I wonder if there is such a thing as a CANVAS awning? I know canvas is much, much heavier than nylon, but, from my decades of camping experience, I know how much warmer canvas is than nylon when there is frost lying on the ground.

On the other hand, perhaps one could use an extra inner tent inside the awning for additional insulation?

Will be interested to follow this thread.
          Oh yes! there most certainly is,I have one.It is specially made for romahomes,it is very weather proof,decidedly warm on a cold winters day, Storm proof...and very heavy.I use it for long stay camps.
          It is not cheap,available from Romahome or Avon Motorcaravans. It has no ground sheet,but does have a toilet/shower compartment.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
            Oh yes! there most certainly is,I have one.It is specially made for romahomes,it is very weather proof,decidedly warm on a cold winters day, Storm proof...and very heavy.I use it for long stay camps.
            It is not cheap,available from Romahome or Avon Motorcaravans. It has no ground sheet,but does have a toilet/shower compartment.
            I can't track down anything like this on their sites. Approx price and dimensions? Am currently searching for other poss suppliers.

Comment

I can't track down anything like this on their sites. Approx price and dimensions? Am currently searching for other poss suppliers.
              it will fit your van,and double your living space.Its not on any website Avon is cheaper than Roma but you are looking at £400+.
              I have attatched a photo

Comment

it will fit your van,and double your living space.Its not on any website Avon is cheaper than Roma but you are looking at £400+.
                I have attatched a photo
                Cheers, Ian.

It looks as if it is the type where you assemble the roof pole, fastening it to the tops of the legs. Finally lifting it up, leg by leg, to its full height? The hard bit being stretching the canvas to fit the poles snugly. Then, presumably, link the awning to the van in some magical way?

Therefore could possibly done by one person if necessary?

There was s.t. similar attached to a van quite near us on the Norfolk rally.

Comment

Hi NomadSue, The awning looks very similar to one that came with my C15. I had great difficulty lifting it single handed - it was quite heavy. Maybe the one pictured is a lot lighter.

Comment

Cheers, Ian.

It looks as if it is the type where you assemble the roof pole, fastening it to the tops of the legs. Finally lifting it up, leg by leg, to its full height? The hard bit being stretching the canvas to fit the poles snugly. Then, presumably, link the awning to the van in some magical way?

Therefore could possibly done by one person if necessary?

There was s.t. similar attached to a van quite near us on the Norfolk rally.
                    Hi Sue,
                    there was one next door to me at that meet,yes one can do it,as long as its not windy,its heavy.I am not as fit as you,so I am grateful for help. you assemble the frame,fit the canvas over,extend the legs to full height,and there is a short tunnel section that fits over the back roof of the van and has bungee cord in its front edge to peg it down.Finally there is a strip of canvas that seals the lower back of the van so no wind gets in under the van. It is great once its up - said the actress to the bishop -but I am pretty exhausted by the end,but as I said thats me and it may be easier for you.Its a doddle for two.
                    Ian

Comment

Hi Sue,
                      there was one next door to me at that meet,yes one can do it,as long as its not windy,its heavy.I am not as fit as you,so I am grateful for help. you assemble the frame,fit the canvas over,extend the legs to full height,and there is a short tunnel section that fits over the back roof of the van and has bungee cord in its front edge to peg it down.Finally there is a strip of canvas that seals the lower back of the van so no wind gets in under the van. It is great once its up - said the actress to the bishop -but I am pretty exhausted by the end,but as I said thats me and it may be easier for you.Its a doddle for two.
                      Ian
                      Thanks, Ian. I've been in touch with Ant and have expressed an interest in a decent second hand one, if he has any left. he said new ones cost in the region of 550 pounds, a second hand one about 250.

Ho ho our garage will become like our driveway which now has 3 old bangers and my R20 on. The garage already houses a motley collection of tents, old walking boots, vinyls.... oh dear, I feel a major clearout coming on!

Comment