As to #11, probably deemed OffTopic..

https://theconversation.com/defensiv...f-cities-52399

but we are talking camping, not..?

Comment

Originally posted by NiedrigerIQ View Post

Why "Off Topic" ? I responded to CyberCynth report that Campfire Magazine said "Interestingly it claims that wildcamping in England is illegal ....."
      Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

Originally posted by NiedrigerIQ View Post

Yes, off-topic* NiedrigerIQ . I am always willing to discuss the emotive subject of homelessness but it would probably have to develop in the politics section: that's up to the Mods, as in Graham : boss man and his willing band of helpers/referees!
        * I don't think our regular wild campers would think much of being described as rogues or vagabonds! kernowjon ! However it's a fitting description of some of the pond-life that's been trashing the countryside with their filth since the new breed of staycationers has been taking up camping. Come to think of it, it's a bit of an insult to pond life to compare it to the louts ruining not just the scenic spots at which they choose to dump their filth, but also the reputation of conscientious wild campers.

tonyt Thank you for your comments. An interesting point about how to spend the long, dark autumnal evenings! I had EHU and an electric awning light which came with me into the camper in the evenings, along with my oil-filled rad, so I was both warm and well-illuminated! After catching up with emails, and the news, on my iPhone I settled down to read a book. I also had my notebook: previously my caravan log, in which, at the front end I use as a journal and the back end of the book to note down thoughts that occurred to me about how my set-up could be improved. 21.15: Time to put the kettle on for my hot water bottle: while that was keeping my jim jams and duvet warm I took Echo out for a last minute walk, came back and settled down for an early night. I covered a minimum of 4 miles walking per day (6 1/2 one day!) so was ready for my bed by then. Despite it being a very busy site during the day with many arrivals and departures, it was as peaceful as you could wish for once darkness had fallen.

I did find myself wishing I'd taken a sewing project with me to work on though, and I missed the radio/CD player I had in the Fleurette.

More thoughts of a septuagenarian wannabe wilder later - time for my Veggie chilli.

21.45: Whoops, forgot to post
        ​​​​​​​Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

Why "Off Topic" ? I responded to CyberCynth report that Campfire Magazine said "Interestingly it claims that wildcamping in England is illegal ....."
          This is a bit confusing as I think, kernowjon you were talking about a topic mentioned earlier on in this thread. I commented in #18 that NiedrigerIQ was off-topic, as he appeared to be talking about rough sleeping, as opposed to wild camping. I'll go back to sleep now. zzzzzzzz.....
          Cynthia

Comment

tonyt nowadays the only time I use CSs is during school holidays, when I find 'Adults Only' ones. Of course, I love children, really. I just don't think I could eat a whole one....

jayjay I was looking for a stainless steel bowl with a wide base and a lip at the top to deter spillages. In fact, Caz, that's exactly the dog's b...owl! Though I would hope to find one at an outlet other than Amazon. Screens... No, I'm not buying insulating material to make them; I've got three-layer curtains already cut to size. I didn't have time to get them finished before I left for Devizes as the magnets I ordered to attach them didn't arrive in time.

Gill Clarina Thanks for uploading the photo! You have very skillfully managed a shot that doesn't highlight the Khyam's precarious angle of dangle, though if anyone looks closely at the rear offside leg they might note it's cranked at an agonising-looking angle to the one at the front... Ouch.....

Looking forward to my next outing now, which will be New Years Eve at Hertford.
            Cynthia

Comment

Just for the record, I meant I was off topic....with #16...

Comment

I think you were asking about water containers CyberCynth

This is what I use, it lives permanently in the boot box in the van and holds 2.5 litres. It was £3.99 from B&M.
                IMG_20201018_115511549.jpg IMG_20201018_115501858.jpg
                Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                  I think you were asking about water containers CyberCynth

This is what I use, it lives permanently in the boot box in the van and holds 2.5 litres. It was £3.99 from B&M.
                  IMG_20201018_115511549.jpg IMG_20201018_115501858.jpg
                  That would do me for when I venture forth without the awning Rob B ! Thanks. However, isn't it the same sort of water bottle you'd buy already filled, which you could then use as a carrier? I'm puzzled by the blue appendage emerging from the lid, it looks as though a jaycloth has been used to plug a hole in the lid.... Anyway, it looks sturdier than my flopsie-wopsie collapsible carrier. I put that on my table filled with water and it sits there looking very well balanced for a while, until it suddenly starts doing Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men impressions.... Ooooh, flobadob.

Well, I've got a whole 10 weeks until my next outing so I have time to make a few improvements to this unit. I thought I could probably get away with shaving off another couple of inches or so from the bedbase. That would give me a little bit more room down the 'utility' side of the vehicle for other items...... I note a number of vans have their storage units in a U shape by the tailgate (or barn) door. As they're double faced that would mean you have to get out of the vehicle and go round the back for access, rather like the teardrop caravans. Not ideal to my mind, but others may prefer the space it gives them elsewhere. I have become a very nosy small-camper-layout-spotter, peering through windows to see the set-up others have.
                  Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

That would do me for when I venture forth without the awning Rob B ! Thanks. However, isn't it the same sort of water bottle you'd buy already filled, which you could then use as a carrier? I'm puzzled by the blue appendage emerging from the lid, it looks as though a jaycloth has been used to plug a hole in the lid....
                    It's much more solid than a supermarket water bottle. The blue bit is just a strap that keeps the lid attached to the bottle so you don't lose it.

Comment

As I have previously alluded to, I am seriously thinking about putting the Nu Rio up for sale and getting a large MPV type vehicle (Galaxy or similar) to use as a mini camper and also a day to day vehicle. I have no regrets buying the Rio, but it just sits on the drive doing very little and costing a small fortune to do so. I will be following and looking for inspiration for car camping in the near future

Comment

Originally posted by TheOldHobbit View Post
                        As I have previously alluded to, I am seriously thinking about putting the Nu Rio up for sale and getting a large MPV type vehicle (Galaxy or similar) to use as a mini camper and also a day to day vehicle. I have no regrets buying the Rio, but it just sits on the drive doing very little and costing a small fortune to do so. I will be following and looking for inspiration for car camping in the near future
                        We haven't attempted to sleep in the Stepwagon yet but it's a doddle to the the seats into a bed so looking forward to testing it out properly at some point. It works great as a day van .

Comment

A dilemma many of us face/faced methinks.....having the time and opportunity to use what you might call a "dedicated" camping unit is a luxury we never seemed to master..so caravans et al simply sat for the vast part of the year doing...nothing.!..but still had to be maintained and insured etc..and sometimes in our case, stored.
                          We didn't want to buy a "proper" motorhome/campervan and still have the same problem, so that's when we hit on the idea of duality.!!..a vehicle that could be used daily, as a people carrier, a day van...or with a bit of thought, a campervan WHEN needed...a true MULTI PURPOSE vehicle.

Of course, a change of mindset, and compromise, was necessary...but we found the Estima and knew that it would be right for us.
                          Nearly five years later, and a few trial and errors under our belt, we pretty much have the optimum unit..for us...our stealth camper.!!

It simply gives us the ability to use it in whatever form we like..we love that flexibility, BUT it does have it's limitations and compromise is key.!
                          It certainly wouldn't be right for everyone and it depends on what you want to get from your camping.

Comment

Same size as the Sharan, so Rob B was telling me? Ideal! Mind you it's only my economic situation that's got me down to one unit. If I could afford to buy your Rio from you I would be first in the queue to purchase it. I think that's the same model Gill Clarina has, and I spent 4 days drooling over that last week... a lovely unit and ideal for one-and-a- dog! Oh, and in her earlier post on this thread Gill very graciously chose not to tell folk about my rather sweary grumbles about trying to erect a broken awning and attaching it to the car, which went something to the effect of 'B****r this for a lark, I'm going back to caravanning....' Still, new ventures (no pun intended) are bound to be fraught with idiosyncracies and hiccups. These things are sent to try us and I'm sure, with practice (and another set of spare joints!) the set-up procedure will get easier. The 'unit' is what it is, and I'm determined to make the most of what I can afford! Actually, I couldn't consider a Nu Rio at the moment anyway, even if finances allowed, as I think there's only one belted passenger seat? I still have my grandchildren to transport around, albeit only occasionally these days.

Meanwhile, I have become an avid reader of 'Campfire' e-zine; a brilliant source of ideas for car camping. I just have to ignore the constant stream of suggestions for purchases: 'You can buy a solution for so-and-so, it only costs such and such' and work out how I can make my own so-and-sos.
                            Cynthia

Comment

Hi Cynthia, CyberCynth just so you know for the future! My Rio has two passenger belted seats, one in the front and the forward facing one at the dinette also is has a seat belt!

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

... I note a number of vans have their storage units in a U shape by the tailgate (or barn) door. As they're double faced that would mean you have to get out of the vehicle and go round the back for access, rather like the teardrop caravans. Not ideal to my mind, but others may prefer the space it gives them elsewhere. I have become a very nosy small-camper-layout-spotter, peering through windows to see the set-up others have.
                                Cynthia
                                My last small camper, the Fiat Skamper, had a similar layout. I thought it would be fine with the beds being up top, and that there would be plenty of room, but I was wrong! However, it was quite a small vehicle for a camper anyway, but what I found was that, with all the heaviest stuff (a complete unit with storage, fridge, sink, cooker) at the back behind the barn doors, it made it very heavy at the back end and you could feel the drag of that, especially on hills. It was a semi auto gear box as well, but on hills or start off, you had to change it to a manual, or it would just roll backwards the moment you took your foot off the brake. I think a conversion with things along each side is a much better idea, it seems more balanced, and as you say, easier access at the rear.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X