X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VW Sharan with Khyam Motordome Tailgate Awning

Well here they are in all their glory:

IMG_3232.JPGIMG_3233.JPG

The photo doesn't do justice to the awning, which has windows/apertures on all three sides, (the front as well if the car isn't attached) and what I hadn't realised when I set up the awning was that you could use any of the fold-up window covers as a sun canopy, with the poles provided!

Loads of room to open the tailgate inside the awning, except I had to be careful the sharp corners of the side of the tailgate didn't foul the tent fabric: risk of tearing there!

Can't remember how long it took to set up, but I had some help from friends anyway, so it would have taken me longer to set up on my own. When it came to packing down, from the time I'd cleared up after breakfast to the time I was all packed up and ready to go was 1 3/4 hrs. Interestingly, exactly the same time it took to pack up my frame tent. I'm sure I shall be able to improve on that time with some practice.

The inflatable mattress wasn't 100% successful as it just kept sliding about in the back of the car. I shall investigate getting a semi-permanent arrangement sorted out, oh, and some means of hanging curtains. I had thought that sticky velcro might do the job short-term, but about an hour after fixing them up they'd all come unstuck again. The passenger windows have darkened glass and the tailgate windows are covered by the awning side fabric so I wasn't too concerned anyway. A large towel hung over the extended headrests on the front seats gave me sufficient privacy from any curious glances from the front.

I am wondering whether to invest in a small camp kitchen, as my current arrangement of two-plastic-boxes-under-the-table was not terribly satisfactory. However I don't want to end up having to buy a trailer to carry around all my camping equipment - I'd rather keep things minimal and simple if I can! Quite apart from anything else, I haven't got a towing hitch on the Sharan....

Echo was quite settled in our new camping arrangement, except she seemed to think my bed was much more comfortable than hers, and spent most of each night trying to push me off mine, to give herself maximum space.....

Looking forward to my next outing, hopefully Devizes C&CC site in October, so that I can continue to fine-tune the outfit. I shall definitely pack the toilet tent next time!
    Cynthia
    Attached Files

Echo looks very content
    Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

With the addition of a toilet tent CyberCynth you'd be pretty much set up wouldn't you.

I just wonder whether a little "curtain" under the tailgate would keep out any draughts, especially when cooking if you're cooking on gas.

Could your awning mat/ground sheet come up little bit and tie off at the sides to cover the open space. Less draughty for Echo's bottom

It's trying to find the balance isn't it. Not to buy too much stuff but to have enough to make it all viable.

We recently bought a camp kitchen/cupboard and it's been a real boon but too heavy and bulking for your arrangement I think.
      Ours has three shelves, adjustable legs for height and a cupboard door

It all packs away neatly in it's bag but it is heavy ROYAL CAMOING SHELVES 3.jpg . We bought it in our local Camping World. I think is was about £50

It measure about 93 x 60 x 48cm

Comment

Looking good CyberCynth ...and yes, you will fine tune and get it where you want it to be....all part of the fun.
        But so far, so good...looks a nice little comfy unit.

Privacy glass is so good...you simply cannot see through mine from the outside..but I do have curtains too.

Comment

Hi CyberCynth your new set up is looking good! Just a thought for your windows, you could try the foil backed radiator backing! I used this to make blinds for my caravan when it was stored so I didn't have to keep the blinds closed. I think you could get it from a diy shop. It's corrugated with foil on one side. Just a thought
          ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by RUToyota View Post
            Looking good CyberCynth ...and yes, you will fine tune and get it where you want it to be....all part of the fun.
            But so far, so good...looks a nice little comfy unit.

Privacy glass is so good...you simply cannot see through mine from the outside..but I do have curtains too.
            The Steppy is the same. All but the cab windows are virtually blacked out.

Set up looks good Cynth but I think you'll want a more secure and supportive bed for anything over a couple of nights stay. I am a big fan of Khyams quick erect tents, I've just sold one in fact but already slightly regretting it.
            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
              Well here they are in all their glory:

IMG_3232.JPGIMG_3233.JPG

The photo doesn't do justice to the awning, which has windows/apertures on all three sides, (the front as well if the car isn't attached) and what I hadn't realised when I set up the awning was that you could use any of the fold-up window covers as a sun canopy, with the poles provided!

Loads of room to open the tailgate inside the awning, except I had to be careful the sharp corners of the side of the tailgate didn't foul the tent fabric: risk of tearing there!

Can't remember how long it took to set up, but I had some help from friends anyway, so it would have taken me longer to set up on my own. When it came to packing down, from the time I'd cleared up after breakfast to the time I was all packed up and ready to go was 1 3/4 hrs. Interestingly, exactly the same time it took to pack up my frame tent. I'm sure I shall be able to improve on that time with some practice.

The inflatable mattress wasn't 100% successful as it just kept sliding about in the back of the car. I shall investigate getting a semi-permanent arrangement sorted out, oh, and some means of hanging curtains. I had thought that sticky velcro might do the job short-term, but about an hour after fixing them up they'd all come unstuck again. The passenger windows have darkened glass and the tailgate windows are covered by the awning side fabric so I wasn't too concerned anyway. A large towel hung over the extended headrests on the front seats gave me sufficient privacy from any curious glances from the front.

I am wondering whether to invest in a small camp kitchen, as my current arrangement of two-plastic-boxes-under-the-table was not terribly satisfactory. However I don't want to end up having to buy a trailer to carry around all my camping equipment - I'd rather keep things minimal and simple if I can! Quite apart from anything else, I haven't got a towing hitch on the Sharan....

Echo was quite settled in our new camping arrangement, except she seemed to think my bed was much more comfortable than hers, and spent most of each night trying to push me off mine, to give herself maximum space.....

Looking forward to my next outing, hopefully Devizes C&CC site in October, so that I can continue to fine-tune the outfit. I shall definitely pack the toilet tent next time!
              Cynthia
              Looks great. Enjoy! 😊🚙

Comment

Thank you all for your comments and helpful suggestions, folks.

I was looking again at the possibility of hanging curtains at the windows. Not that I really need them - although I note the degree of darkness seems a bit less on the VW than other vehicles I've seen. Curtains will help with insulation as well, and will I think look cosier than bare glass, albeit blackout glass. As already stated. I tried sticky-backed velcro as a temporary solution but it was a bit too temporary for purpose! When I was camping in the Ital I used curtain wire, If I remember, attached to the sunshades above the front windscreen, though I can't remember what I attached the back end to. Now, I noticed something rather strange about the Sharan when I was looking for rear wire-anchoring points. On the offside of the car there are three passenger grab-handles but on the nearside there are only two! The unfortunate 5th passenger, in the third row of seats doesn't have a grab-handle.. How strange. So I'm still not sure how I shall be able to attach, or hang, curtains. I thought of suckers, to stick onto the windows but in my experience they are not always any more reliable than so-called sticky velcro.

Anyone got any other ideas? Bearing in mind I don't want to buy anything at the moment! (Boracic Lint*) I've got plenty of fabric I can reuse, hence the determination to make do with curtains.

* Speaking of which, the electrician has turned up today to finish the work he started on my bungalow pre-lockdown!

What was it Edmund Blackadder said....? 'I feel like a pelican - every time I turn round there's this huge bill in front of me'
                Cynthia

Comment

Hiya Cynthia, my lovely!

I know you're not a big fan of Amazon, but how about somethung like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clyine-Univ...0345359&sr=8-1

If you put the search term 'stick on wondow blind for cars' in the Amazon search box, all sorts of things come up. You might be able to adapt something cheaply.

Panda
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/pandabloke

Comment

I bought some of these for my van. It had a huge front window and with the sun, it still got hot inside, in spite of the insulation!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they are enormous and more than covered the windscreen.

I think if I was DIY-ing, as I did with my little Romahome side windows, I would make my own. From the foil backed radiator backing stuff that Clarina suggested. If you want to make it pretty on the inside, you could always line it with your material. You could even put it on both sides.

I bought some suckers from Ebay, (they weren't expensive) fixed them to the foil stuff (you have to cut a teeny hole to push them through, but it has to be a tight fit) and then they stuck to the windows on the inside. It stopped a lot of the condensation and also kept the van warmer at night. they are not flexible like curtains though, more like a soft fitting panel.

The other alternative is to make double curtains, and insert a piece of insulating material in the middle. Something like either quilting material or that silver black out blind stuff. That's what the ones in the Skampervan were like. Made from two lots of material, so double the insulating properties.

Like you say, the hard bit is how to fix them onto the windows. It was easy to use the sucker method. I actually found all the reaching around to close the curtains in the Skamper quite difficult. Get out and come back in a different door most of the time. The ones around the cab front and side windows were made to measure, and fitted. They had proper metal poppers (one side of the poppers screwed onto the cab on the inside and the others on the curtains) on them to fix them to the body of the van around the front windscreen on the inside.
                    Last edited by jayjay; 17-09-2020, 17:12.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X