As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaters and heating

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karen - I haven't got a 600 watt radiator, and none available will fit into our van. Hence my queries.

Glenw's link to the small fan heater with a 600 watt minimum setting is absolutely relevant, but there are no dimensions and it's rather expensive.

I expect you all have your mains hookup cables, but the one most suppliers currently offer, 20 metres of 25 amps cable with circuit breaker and three socket outlets and super-cheap, is even superer cheap on Amazon. But I cannot find the cable specification anywhere. We have and I intend no mains installation in the van, so in this respect we function like a tent - cable and sockets passed through a front window subsequently wound up and whatever appliances we decide to take (except a diesel heater if we get that far) loose.

Karen's dislike of fan heaters is interesting: if they make the atmosphere "dry" isn't that just what we want when the windows may be teeming with water? I don't actually see how either a radiant heat source (fan heater) or a convection one (perversely called a radiator) can make things any dryer or wetter, since they both recycle the same air in the van. They both vary the dew point with temperature (as do all heat-exchange appliances), but none of these appliances draws wet air in from outside, and jolly good too. As said: all available radiators are too bulky for us.

I've had additional messages off-list.

Thanks, folks.

Paul.
    Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

How about a flat panel radiator? I used one of these for a while before finding the 500w Bambino (which will fit into the front passenger footwell with a passenger in situ when travelling).

Re fan heaters drying the air, yes of course we want dry heat but if you run one for a long period of a few hours, you may find the air feels very dry and stuffy leaving you feeling muzzy-headed and dehydrated. Try it and you may find the same. It's less noticeable with a radiator. I also ensure there's some ventilation overnight.

Re hook-up cables, I made mine. I used arctic outdoor cable with a caravan plug on one end to connect to the EHU and a socket on the other into which I plug an RDC then a 4-gang socket. It fits beneath the rear door - I don't have an EHU on the van - nothing so sophisticated!

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
        most metered electricity supplies are by coin meters or tokens you buy on site

Alf
        oh right. I have never been on a site where its metered so I didnt realise. Think it would be a good idea. It would stop people using every appliance possible.
        Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Eberspacher heaters-A WARNING!

Hi! I hope this is the right thread for this. Recently while using my 2008 Romahome Hylo due to the coldish and wet weather I had occasion to use the Eberspacher heating/hot water unit. I had not used it much before in my year of ownership. In the morning I was surprised to find a ring of brown scorched grass below the exhaust pipe-thank heavens the grass was wet. Although some Romahome handbooks warn of this inherent danger mine does not. I now carry and use a plumbers' heat resisting mat that I put on the ground below the exhaust. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

This is interesting. Karen: what is a Bambino? (I don't mean the floppy-eared sort).

Paul.

Comment

Oh! And another thing, Karen: what colour is your hook up cable (is this a polite thing to ask a lady?). I've got a reel of top grade 2.5mm flexible industrial cable which is obviously ideal - and I have the other bits, as mentioned - but being white I feel it would make site wardens, especially abroad, suspicious. It's plenty fat enough to look the part - just the wrong colour. I understand that cold-weather cable which I suppose we ought to use is blue but I think my cable is cold-weather capable too. Ordinary approved site cable is orange, of course.

Paul.

Comment

In my Autosleeper Frisky (SWB Transit with pop up roof) I had a Propex gas heater which was very efficient. (Although it did sound like Concorde taking off from outside when it was first lit)

It didn't use a lot of gas - I used less than one 4.5 Calor bottle in two years, using it for cooking and heating on at least a dozen weekends during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
                  Hi! I hope this is the right thread for this. Recently while using my 2008 Romahome Hylo due to the coldish and wet weather I had occasion to use the Eberspacher heating/hot water unit. I had not used it much before in my year of ownership. In the morning I was surprised to find a ring of brown scorched grass below the exhaust pipe-thank heavens the grass was wet. Although some Romahome handbooks warn of this inherent danger mine does not. I now carry and use a plumbers' heat resisting mat that I put on the ground below the exhaust. Graham (and Carole)
                  Graham the exhaust is a flexible stainless steel pipe it should be pointing outwards from under the van skirt this is important to ensure the exhaust gases are directed away from any air intake otherwise they can rise under the van and be trapped there waiting to be drawn into the van.
                  Try to reposition the exhaust pipe

Alf

Comment

I'm not sure how practical it would be in your converted/adapted doblo but as a low watt heater, would you be able to fit one of these for use on EHU?

https://sslrelay.com/olearymotorhome...dex.shopscript
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
                      This is interesting. Karen: what is a Bambino? (I don't mean the floppy-eared sort).

Paul.
                      It's one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Bam...0338154&sr=8-6

I've given it a 5-star review - please feel free to give me (KL Wren) a 'helpful' vote!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
                        Oh! And another thing, Karen: what colour is your hook up cable (is this a polite thing to ask a lady?). I've got a reel of top grade 2.5mm flexible industrial cable which is obviously ideal - and I have the other bits, as mentioned - but being white I feel it would make site wardens, especially abroad, suspicious. It's plenty fat enough to look the part - just the wrong colour. I understand that cold-weather cable which I suppose we ought to use is blue but I think my cable is cold-weather capable too. Ordinary approved site cable is orange, of course.

Paul.
                        Ask away....

My cable is yellow but it's also available in orange!

Karen

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                          It's one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Bam...0338154&sr=8-6

I've given it a 5-star review - please feel free to give me (KL Wren) a 'helpful' vote!!
                          --------------------------
                          Thanks for the link, Karen. I think I've seen this one recommended before and I certainly do need something like this for winter camping.
                          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

(BTW Please could you tick the 'yes' button beneath the review to say it was helpful - I'm trying to get back into the 'top ten' Amazon reviewers!! Thanks )

Comment

Hi Karen

I've just clicked the helpful box.
                              Graham
                              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                                I don't think you'll be disappointed!

(BTW Please could you tick the 'yes' button beneath the review to say it was helpful - I'm trying to get back into the 'top ten' Amazon reviewers!! Thanks )
                                -------------
                                I did tick it the first time I registered a comment. Then I changed my name to NomadSue2011 as the one on view, and my comment got posted again!
                                Carpe diem! :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X