As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaters and heating

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the 'helpfuls'. They are very much appreciated and help lead to a lot of free goodies to review!

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
      Graham the exhaust is a flexible stainless steel pipe it should be pointing outwards from under the van skirt this is important to ensure the exhaust gases are directed away from any air intake otherwise they can rise under the van and be trapped there waiting to be drawn into the van.
      Try to reposition the exhaust pipe

Alf
      Thanks, Alf. I will go under the Romahome as soon as he rain stops! Graham (and Carole)

Comment

Doblo7 - why do you need to pay £800 for a Webasto diesel heater (the best one, in my opinion)?

Have you had a look on eBay - you sound a handy type of chap - so source one cheap, and fit it yourself - it isn't difficult.

I sourced a brand new Webasto Airtop 2000 on eBay for £325, complete with all the fittings - and fitted it to my Mazda Bongo. I think the hardest bit was drilling through the bulkheads for the outlet and inlet fittings.

I actually made it a lot more difficult for myself by using a 24volt one - but they do tend to be cheaper!! I then had to build an electronic box to series connect the traction and leisure batteries, when parked, to give me the 24volts.

The diesel supply was simply tee'd off the main feed to the vehicle fuel filter.

I did source seperately exhaust and an inlet silencers so i didn't annoy anyone parked nearby - and it really doesn't sound at all intrusive from outside - but it really does heat the van up quickly - you certainly wouldn't want it running all night!!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
          It's one of these: [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Bam...0338154&sr=8-6
          I've given it a 5-star review - please feel free to give me (KL Wren) a 'helpful' vote!!

You can also buy these from Costco if you have a card. The smaller one is about £39+VAT. They have both sizes in our local store in Oldham so I imagine they'll be the same in other branches.

Di.

Comment

Can I ask why is it that the Webasto diesal heater is thought to be better than the Eberspacher?

I have heard this said a few times but I do not think I have ever heard why and would like to hear more about it please.

I know you have to have a good whack from the battery to get the Eberspacher going, and it will lock if you keep trying and it does not get going but is that the only reason? Given both are diesal heaters I would have thought the Webasto would also need a hefty kick start to get the diesal going. Could somebody explain please? Thanks

Comment

Eberspcher

We have had quite a few Auto-Sleeper motor caravans these have always had Eberspacher heaters and been quite noisy both inside and out on our last one I fitted a second silencer to reduce external noise, when we changed to the Dimension we were surprised by how quiet the Eberspacher is, the way Romahome have fitted the heater reduces noise by 75% I think they are also slightly smaller than the Webasto.

All in all we have never had any bother with the Eberspacher heaters.

Alf

Comment

I have an eberspacher,it works very well,although the programmer is a mystery,so I just turn it on and off manually.It is very noisy inside and out,but I use an oil filled rad when needed,thats silent.Only ever use the deisel heater in winter so am always on EHU.Deisel for a quick blast of heat then the little rad to maintain.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                  You can also buy these from Costco if you have a card. The smaller one is about £39+VAT. They have both sizes in our local store in Oldham so I imagine they'll be the same in other branches.
                  Di.
                  It's always worth shopping around. I paid £29.99 for mine in a DIY store. (I like a bargain!)

Comment

Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
                    Glenw link to the small fan heater with a 600 watt minimum setting is absolutely relevant, but there are no dimensions and it's rather expensive.
                    Have found a bit more info about this heater, seems it may well be an American 110v appliance.

http://www.pelonis.com/forced.htm#hb211
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                      --------------------------
                      Thanks for the link, Karen. I think I've seen this one recommended before and I certainly do need something like this for winter camping.
                      yes, definately the very thing.

The cheaper ones are not as effective! The bambino is expensive by comparison, however my sis bought a cheap one from B&Q and it isn't half as good as mine is.

I think Gadgetman has one for sale in the For Sale/ Equipment section of this forum.

Comment

I bought a cheap one (£24.99) from Argos, it seems ok for our Dimension but then again I haven't compared it to a Bambino.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

The Bambino is too big for us: I detest travelling as a passenger with anything other than my feet in the footwell, and since we share the driving this rules out this place for stowage in our case.

It's unclear in the above comments who is writing about oil-filled radiators, and who, fan heaters.

If we don't get a Webasto, we will take our home fan heater and put it on "low", using the thermostat. This is likely to be 1500 watts intermittent (the device has no label). I'm skeptical of Karen's comment that fan heaters are "dry". With the windows running with condensation, I only wish they were!

If we go for diesel, we will go for a Webasto for the specific reason stated by Tentpeg: they seemingly don't lock out (and relying on engine charging for the leisure battery, voltage will always be a problem on long stays). Also, the lower minimum heat setting of the Eberspacher (compared to the Webasto and otherwise an advantage) may be associated with greater proneness to sooting up. So since Webasto heaters seem to be a bit cheaper, that clinches it for me.

If I can get a RELIABLE Webasto second hand I will, but it's such a vital piece of kit in Winter that I would take some convincing. I don't mind repairing things if they go wrong, but I don't choose to have to start out repairing them with no knowledge of whether it will work properly subsequently. I would also prefer the latest model.

Paul.
                          Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

Heating

Paul in 30 years of using Eberspachers in either D2 or D4 form we have never had a faulty one we may be lucky !! the biggest draw is on ignition if you start the engine for a few minutes whilst whatever heater you get once its lit you should be OK if you are only going to use 1 battery replace it with the biggest you can fit in its place It would pay to see if you could fit a small leisure battery though.
                            Aldi do an excellent 3 stage small battery charger this would be worth taking if you do use a mains hookup.

Alf

Comment

Thanks once again for the advice, Alf, and for the fittings. I've replied to you privately.

We have a leisure battery: the problem would be (and will be with the cool box) keeping engine charging to a minimum. Yes, I'd thought of running the engine when the diesel heater starts up but that's awkward if, as we suspect, the van will sometimes get too hot and the heater have to be turned off and started again later, perhaps more than once. After all, that is happening the whole time with our central heating at home.

I don't fancy getting a hookup and then running a diesel heater in addition. To me it's either/or. But in the early days we may have to rely on a hookup.

Paul.
                              Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

I see myself quoted and just a word of caution I am not an authority on diesal heaters quite the reverse I just am quoting stuff that I have heard here before on the forum nothing more. I have no idea which system is the best at all. Diesal always need preheating I understood to combust so I suspect would always need a good kick start whatever the system... but I have no idea if this is the case or not.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X