This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems With the Law

how can we avoid getting done by the cops for sleeping in our vehicle ?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-6-months.html

I think the point of this article was that he failed to give a breath sample.

As for avoiding being drunk in charge of a vehicle - easy:
    - don't sit or sleep in the driver's seat
    - don't put the key in the ignition
    - make it clear you have no intention of driving, ie sleep in a campervan bunk instead of the driving seat

If parked on a public road or wilding in a public area, then it's better not to drink at all just incase there is any possibility of having to move on.

Comment

dont **** of the law is the answer
      they diddent do him for sleeping or driveing or even being drunk ,
      they did him for not taking the breath test ,so being polite to an officer of the law is the answer ,they have a job to do and its a thankless one at the best of times ,so help them and they will help you (and no ime not a copper ),but i would rather have them around than not MOS

Comment

There is an interesting point here.
        I believe even having the keys for a vehicle can be construed as "being in charge of a vehicle".
        I do remember (many years ago) a local lady well known for being "drunk in charge" being arrested between pub and parked car on the basis of having keys and therefore in charge of the car. Certainly, with her reputation she would undoubtedly have driven off and she WAS under the influence.
        But if so. What about "wild campers" enjoying a tot before bed? Should the keys be chucked out of the window??
        Jim.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Alot of things I do not understand
          Firstly he was on private land.
          Secondly how could the officer have smelt alcahol on his breath before he woke him.
          Thirdly he was asleep with the seat reclined. Not about to drive.
          Forthly he co-operated with the first breath test but was arrested anyway.
          Fifthly if the police can go onto private property and require anyone in a motor vehicle to take a breath test and then arrest them if over the limit were do you draw the line.
          Could it be on a campsite.
          Private land
          Even your own driveway ????
          If the officer was worried he might try and drive he could of asked him for the keys and told him to pick them up from the station.

Comment

Originally posted by peterfowden View Post
            Secondly how could the officer have smelt alcahol on his breath before he woke him.
            Fifthly if the police can go onto private property and require anyone in a motor vehicle to take a breath test and then arrest them if over the limit were do you draw the line.
            Private land
            If the officer was worried he might try and drive he could of asked him for the keys and told him to pick them up from the station.
            I think the simple answer is that there is NO sanctuary. IF you have the keys you can be prosecuted! To be safe, pass the keys to someone else who is sober. So simple! Unless you have been seen driving.
            MANY people are killed by drink drivers. Should there be anywhere to Hide?
            I DO NOT THINK SO!
            And yes. It could be on a campsite, but I think there is not much chance unless they followed you there. Especially if you have a motorhome and are on ramps with an awning erected and EHU
            Jim.
            Last edited by Twolitre; 12-11-2011, 16:03.

Comment

I took two large mouthfuls of Listerine just before I drove out of a car park. I then drove to a recycling centre where I spent 10 mins. When I sat in my car a policeman came along and a 2 other police cars to give me a breath test. The reading was 38 micrograms. I was cuffed and driven to Torquay police station where I was asked to blow into a machine and the reading was 18 micrograms.

I cought the bus back to the recycling centre and my car.

Excuse my tone but I have a deep down hatred of men grouped up with the backing of some set of rules I had no part of in making.

Long live the sea kayak, and the tent!
              Last edited by Graham; 12-11-2011, 19:56. Reason: I have taken out phrases some might find offensive

Comment

Are you saying the Listerene caused the problem? Or fooled the Police?

Comment

Listerine has a high enough alcohol content to push you over the 35 micro limit. It can keep you over for up to 1/2 hour if you use it twice or 3 times in a go. I have to gargle twice otherwise I may swollow it. Odd thing is I don't really drink much acohol, normally shandy.

Comment

Originally posted by peterfowden View Post
                    Private land
                    As far as I am aware any car park that has white lines and parking bays counts as highway and as such classed the same as a road as well as any car park that is open to the public and not gated or closed for at least 1 day per year.

As with any newspaper story we get the edited bit only we are never informed of the true story as this would not make news.

I once read an article that stated that the land 15m each side of a road could be classed as highway.

It would depend on the circumstances but even parked on your own drive with the keys in your possession could see you arrested
                    the police only have to show intent but as I say it is individual circumstances that are important

Comment

Whenever I park up I pit my keys in a cup in the cupboard. !

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
                        I took two large mouthfuls of Listerine just before I drove out of a car park. I then drove to a recycling centre where I spent 10 mins. When I sat in my car a policeman came along and a 2 other police cars to give me a breath test. The reading was 38 micrograms. I was cuffed and driven to Torquay police station where I was asked to blow into a machine and the reading was 18 micrograms.

I cought the bus back to the recycling centre and my car.

Excuse my tone but I have a deep down hatred of men grouped up with the backing of some set of rules I had no part of in making.

Long live the sea kayak, and the tent!
                        Hi Rio

I have had to edit your post as some people including myself find some of the phrases you use regarding the police as offensive, I know you have some strong feelings against the police, perhaps with good reason but I would rather you didn't vent your anger on this forum.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

putting a steering lock on the vehicle may be another indication of lack of intent to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            Hi Rio

I have had to edit your post as some people including myself find some of the phrases you use regarding the police as offensive, I know you have some strong feelings against the police, perhaps with good reason but I would rather you didn't vent your anger on this forum.
                            Well said Graham

Comment

Hmm. So what about the pubs included in Britstops?

If you buy / eat something at these specified pubs (and other locations), you can spend the night in their carparks. Could be temptation there to drink a little more than otherwise. So be careful, folks.

(Admittedly one should not drink too much if one is intending to drive the next day as the alcohol could / would be still in your system.)
                              Last edited by NomadSue; 12-11-2011, 20:30. Reason: spelling error
                              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X