As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a silly thought for a conversion

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a silly thought for a conversion

OK. I wonder if anyone else has thought of this conversion. A HORSE TRAILER.
    Everyone has
    passed one sometime or another I see one regularly when I drive past my local caravan storeage place. It's about the same height and length of my Romini but slightly narrower (approx 1 foot). I'm sure that if it will hold a single horse comfortabely(even though the horses head sticks out of the door) there would be room for 1 human

Just a silly thought

Pam

I seem to recall reading about someone who was doing this ........ I think it was these people
    Horsebox conversion link

Another in a different style
    Horsebox conversion

Oh sorry, I read your post wrong - you were talking about trailers!! Now theres a dinky idea!
    Mary

Comment

You either need to have no sense of smell or be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning it first.

Comment

Heres a silly idea

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
        I seem to recall reading about someone who was doing this ........ I think it was these people
        Horsebox conversion link

Another in a different style
        Horsebox conversion

Oh sorry, I read your post wrong - you were talking about trailers!! Now theres a dinky idea!
        I know that horse boxes are being converted. in fact there's a firmm just down the road from me, doing just that. You're right. i did mean a little horse trailer.

Pam

Comment

I saw a little bow top pony trailer once (a long time ago) which had been converted into a tiny caravan, complete with tiny windows with lace curtains! That was approx 20 years ago, but I've never seen one since!

It seems like a good idea to me. I did wonder, if my Kip ever fell to bits whether I could use the insides to fit inside a trailer of some kind. It appeals to me!

Comment

A couple of weekends back at Rowan Park I saw an "A" class motorhome(one of those stupidly enormous things) towing a large fibreglass box trailer, "whats in that?" quoth I, "Our Lotus Elan!" answered Mrs Smug.
            It was the size of my Roma outlook minus the cab.
            Camp in it? I could raise a family in it!

Ripe for conversion into something sensible I thought.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I met a chap last summer who had just bought a brand new small box trailer and was intending to fit it out with bed, cooker etc.

It cost him about £1500 - I thought what was the point - could get a nice little caravan for that.

Comment

I've seen several horsebox conversions - a superb job made of each. The only limit is the imagination!

Comment

On the ferry back from France earlier this year we met a woman who was using a converted horse box as a trailer, towed by a land rover. I felt really sorry for her as she got pulled over by customs and had obviously just thrown in things for the journey home; the look on the custom officer's face was a picture as she opened the back and everything came tumbling out! I hate to think how long she was kept there.

Di.

Comment

A cargo trailer conversion may be easier, this is my favorite, based here in the UK.

Excellent design and self built construction, with two slide out's!

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44263

Comment

I am not detracting from the skill of the constructor but it looks to me like one of those magicians cabinets where the young assistant steps inside,they push in all the sliding bits,and the magician says" are you still alive?" and a hand appears out of the skylight. they then open the door and get 3 white rabbits and a balloon!
                      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Here's a silly thought

Not quite a horse trailer but whoever built that was very talented.I think it's great.
                        Pam

Comment

I've posted this comment in this contect before, but my post seems to have disappeared.

In my article "Other small motorhomes / self-build Doblo" on the Main Menu you will find a description of exactly this project. I still have on our drive, a trailer part converted to a three-way trailer / horse box / roomy two-berth caravan. Ie three metamorphoses, the first to give minimum annoyance to the neighbours and embarrassment to us; the second to provide a roadworthy usable "horse box" with galley and eating, but not sleeping accommodation except on the floor; the third, opened up on site to a decent all-season two-berth caravan.

Technically the project was very difficult, but the clincher was that the trailer (new) is wider than the towcar. Not a lot, but enough to take away the charm of driving a small vehicle in the out-of the way (and French) places we favour. So I've fitted out the towcar as a camper van instead, but I frequently look back with nostalgia to the much roomier and more civilised in many ways, trailer project.

Paul.
                          Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=hor...:429,r:13,s:42

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X