Curtains for self build micro campers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curtains for self build micro campers

Well, there are so many different threads on curtains for micro campers, I thought I'd start one of my own!

Rather than searching through every post which mentions curtains, perhaps we could all put pics of ours in here, and maybe hints on how they have been made, and how they are hung. There are so many different ways of doing this, it can get quite baffling as to which one will suit which vehicle.

I've made a start on mine. I've half made a hatchback panel, which will be attached by magnets.

Below are the pics of my WIP, it's not finished yet. I made a pattern from newspaper (on the inside of the hatchback window) and took it from there.

~And here is the video I watched before I started. (along with some others!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOW-...el=EatSleepVan

My panel has the patterned material (the right way up this time, I cut it out upside down the first time!) on the inside, so that when the hatchback is closed, I have the pretty material on the inside. The second photo shows the middle lining - this is part of an old thin quilt cover. I nearly chucked it away, then thought I could use it for extra insulation in the middle of the panel.

I have yet to sew the lining material (blackout and thermal) to the other side, but I shall remember 'right sides to right sides, sew on the inside, turn out the right way and sewing in the magnets so they don't move around. Then top stitch. And sew some strap ties with velcro fasteners, so that the whole thing can stay on the window and just be rolled up to the top for daytime use.

I'll add to this post as I progress.

Please feel free to post pics of your own solutions for curtains to this thread! ​​​​​​​
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Well here's my contribution:

There are two issues with curtains, the way they're held up and the curtains themselves.

I have a 63 Berlingo MPV XRT and I have no idea if other Berlingos, or their cousins, have the same interior.

This is how I've fixed up the main wire which is usually the most problematic.

Just one small hook into a trim pane at the backl. The hook on the wire could instead, be hooked behind the edge of the trim panel, I tried that but it tended to pull the panel away and in time would've distorted it so I just accepted one small hole.

The front end of the wire just hooks onto the sun visor bracket, very solid hooking point, a slightly bigger hook there.

This particular model has little flaps which I believe are fixing points for the optional interior roof rack (for surfboards etc). I cut short lengths of curtain wire, hook on one end to lift the side wire with the other end "cobble-fixed" onto a bracket already inside the flap.
    On the front flap fixing I made and additional short wire to take the curtain wire stretching across to the other side.
    Alternatively that cross wire could be moved further forward nearer to the windscreen.

Sorry about the long story but if you're trying to do similar onto a similar vehicle, you'll understand what I'm taslking about.

I'm still tempted, for the two rear side windows, to have simple "squeeze in" panels as I had on a previous Transit Connect conversion.

20210405_084307_resized.jpg 20210405_084446_resized.jpg 20210405_084332_resized.jpg
    Last edited by tonyt; 05-04-2021, 09:18.

Comment

Here's some photos of the back panel. I used button magnets here, because there's bare metal to attach them to. They are sewn in around the edges of the panel, and I used 10 - 4 at the top, 4 at the bottom and one each side in the middle. I only just made that panel big enough! It fixes well enough, but I could do with another two bar shaped magnets at the top I think. Or some velcro! It's ok and positionable when covering the tailgate window, but when wound up, it sags a bit.

Just the velcro to sew onto the roll up straps now. And think about some velcro/magnets at the top.
      And next - the curtains at the sides...

Comment

Looking good jayjay , Very neat sewing!

tonyt I am very covetous of your hooking points! As seen on another thread about curtains, mine have sagged a bit because of the lack of availability of reliable places to screw in curtain hooks.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

tonyt I am very covetous of your hooking points! As seen on another thread about curtains, mine have sagged a bit because of the lack of availability of reliable places to screw in curtain hooks.
          Thanks! You can see the inside (silver thermal) of the lining in places through the needle holes, but I'm not worried about that.

Cynthia, I'm just trying out some command hooks, to see whether they will hold both weight and tension, so I'll let you know if it works, with curtain wires. I would rather just have curtains on curtain wires, but I'm thinking of doing each window individually, rather than a single line which goes right along each side of the van.

When I get the professional version done, they can screw stuff wherever they like!

In the little Fiat, a lot of the curtains were held on with poppers. One side hammered into the fabric, the other side of the popper screwed into the facias. Proper sliding window rails where they could be fitted, but poppers around the front windscreen and around the two front side windows. It looked and worked ok.
          Last edited by jayjay; 07-04-2021, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

You should keep your eyes open for some Sky Hooks.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              when wound up, it sags a bit.
              Me too xxx

Nice Sewing xxx

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X