X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulation

Hello all

I want to insulate my C15, as it is going to have a new life as my "stealth" camper.

There won't be much alteration from the original van form; it will be insulated and lined, and there will be curtains for the side windows. I can't see how any insurance company would be able to object to that.

But the question is, what do you do for insulation? When I redid the insulation on my boat I used Thermawrap:

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulat...LAID=916286883

However, I am considering getting sprayfoam done; sprayfoamed boats seem noticeably drier and warmer than mine in the winter.

Or am I missing some other material choice? What did you use?

for a temporary solution that can be moved, try using the cardboard box that once contained a new door for a house. Fill it with rock wool or other attic insulation. Use a number of these to create a warm space. Cut these to size and seal them. Paint them whatever colour matches your interior.
    This will be better insulation than the thin tinfoil bubblewrap stuff (thermawrap ) and more hardwearing than the fixed aeroboard wall dry-lining stuff used in house construction.
    Can somebody please advise on good floor insulation that will withstand wear and tear ?
    Last edited by RomaDenizen; 18-01-2012, 18:33.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-insula...item3a6ed083d8

This is what I found on my many internet trawling hours ..
      Mine arrived last week and is not very thick so should hopefully not be too much of a problem to fit around corners , curves and everything else
      I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
      http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

That stuff looks like Thermawrap to me.

I was going to use that when I re-do my van, but I couldn't get the manufacturers to recommend what sort of glue to use to stick it to fibreglass, neither would the van importers commit themselves other than to say they use spray carpet glue for glueing the bespoke lining to the fibreglass inside of the van.

Comment

My boat's lined in thermawrap!

It's better than rockwool, but nowhere near as good as sprayfoam.

Mine is just held in place behind the wood lining, taped to avoid cold bridging.

If you wanted to bond it to fibreglass, Sikaflex would hold it on, but would work out quite expensive!

Comment

I was informed by both the insulation people and the carpet people that the spray glue or the brush on glue should be no problem .. I hope so .. got 10 cans of the stuff ...

Comment

It won't work!

Unfortunately, almost all contact adhesives comes off at about 50˚c. It will work great until you get a really sunny day, at which point the insulation will drop off. Get your money back.

Sorry to be a harbinger of doom.

Comment

"...both the insulation people and the carpet people..." are talking out of their rear orifice - Chris is right. Use high temp contact adhesive!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by bambuko View Post
                  "...both the insulation people and the carpet people..." are talking out of their rear orifice - Chris is right. Use high temp contact adhesive!

Chris
                  got any proprietary brand names or other handles for it please ?

Comment

I used 3 layers of silver bubble foil secured with duck tape in my Kangoo van, topped by a layer of car carpet glued on with Trade Tak spray adhesive. It made a noticeable difference and was very cost-effective although fitting the carpet was a fiddly job which I wasn't proud of!

Comment

Both the spray glue and contact glue I have are high temperature ones. But not branded. That are both sold my mega van mats

Comment

maybe construct a 'human sized' one of these inside your vehicle ? With the added advantage that your vehicle can revert back to its old ways when you have finished your camping excursion. Anybody seen such items for sale on the net ?
                        http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Comment

Why?? I can't see the point...??

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                            Why?? I can't see the point...??
                            lets pretend you wanted to do some extreme camping in a snowy wasteland ?

Comment

I can't see the point or practicality of this in the back of a vehicle. It looks pretty cumbersome to me!

I've camped on snowy ground in the back of my Kangoo (uninsulated) and camped in a tent but to camp in the 'dog-tent' arrangement in the back of a van - no, I can't see any merits in this. Sorry!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X