As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romahome demountable on piggio

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome demountable on piggio

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice please ...

Sadly my much loved 1994 C15 Romahome finally bit the dust with rusted away engine bulkhead. So I am without my campervan.

I have always thought that the Romahome layout is the best of all the small campervans and am hoping to get another for this spring / summer. My C15 lasted me for 4 years and always got me home. Very sad to see it go.

So here's my question...

I have seen advertised a romahome but mounted on a 1.3 16V petrol engined
    Piaggio pickup which is demountable. Is this a viable option ?

If so, it seemes a great way to get the much loved Romahome but without the C15 rusting and lack of brakes etc.etc.

I fear there must be a snag somewhere perhaps with lack of engine power or possibly too much weight ? so any info, tips, experiences you may have would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Regards
    Scotty
    Last edited by scotty; 13-02-2012, 16:50. Reason: misspelled words

Bulkheads can be repaired, it is a lot wof work but it may be worth it

Peter

Comment

Hi Scotty,
      sorry to hear of your rust problems on your C15.
      When we were looking at the same problems with our C15 hytop I looked into different options.
      The demountable pod system looked a tempting idea. Out of the different pickups available I think the suzuki carry is the best. Slightly more room in cab and access to engine through small bonnet. Compared to under seats in others.
      The late 80's pods (think mkv) with the sloping side windows is the most similar to your C15 Hytop. I think the modern 1.3 engines are up to the job and give decent cruising speeds etc. Romahome themselves did an updated demountable the "Freespirit" this was mounted on a Diahatsu Hi-jet 1.3. These were available late 90's and some were registered as late as 2001. Interiors are similar to the early Duo's and very comfy and smart. Very rare though. It depends to be frank if you can cope with the compact cabs. I'm 6ft 2 and 18 stones so sadly they weren't for me.

www.leisure-vehicles.com/Contact.html
      The company above do recab's of C15's and we found they seemed decent and even Romahome have said they seemed to do a good job. Something else to consider, just make sure your insurance company would be happy
      covering you.
      In the end we managed to get a Duo+ on a berlingo 1.9d and this is like driving a limo after the trusty workmanlike C15's
      Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Comment

De mountable Romahomes

Many thanks for the info and possible options.
        I sold my C15 hitop to a dealer who I guess will remount on a 1.9D newer C15.
        or Berlingo.
        It was a great shame that the bodywork was rusting away as the 1.8D engine was superb and even though it had 78K on the clock, it was fantastic.
        I am not in a hurry and would like to try and get the best I can on a small budget. (6K max).
        Good point about the insurance, as it seems to be getting more difficult to get covered these days.

The thinking / search goes on....

Thanks.
        Scotty.

Comment

demountable on Piaggio

New members here saying" Hello everyone,"
          We have a1999 Freespirit on a Daihatsu Hi Jet which is really a Piaggio, clearly marked on the VIN plate.
          This is our first attempt at a motorhome having been small tent campers for 50 odd years, we are very pleased with it , so far two trips to France and lots to Cornwall the Freespirit layout isgood and I have made a few cunning mods!
          We bought it from the invaluable ANT last spring, about 60000 miles now 70000
          I am in awe at the wonderful engine just a 1.3, on a decent road 45 is easy cruising, a serious hill is a different matter can be embarrassing, I would like to replace the pickup bit with a new up to date unit, but I am assured that nothing is actually imported that will fit, Piaggio is but only in left hand drive and so I was very interested to read that Peterfowden has used a Berlingo 1.9d. Was this a demountable on a Berlingo pickup? or coachbuilt moulded in job ? we look forward to meeting up with you all soon .Phil.http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/im...ies/waving.gif

Comment

Hi Scotty,
            spotted this on autotrader they were made by JC Leisure of Sussex and have a very Romahome type camper back. Called Columbus on a Daihatsu hi-jet not demountable but GRP back good price I think at £3995 on a 97 reg

motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/stock-item-id/at8ab5af40355d214101356282fb0f52cf/advert[/url]
            Not sure if link will work direct but easy search on www.autotrader.co.uk

Comment

Try this link, looks a nice van and more roomy than the Romahome.

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/m...b0f52cf/advert

Peter

Comment

[URL="http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/stock-item-id/at8ab5af40355d214101356282fb0f52cf/advert%5B/url%5D[/URL]

Managed to track it down, hope this link works a bit better... I would buy that right now if I had the money!

ETA: nope, I can't get this link to work either - however if you copy and paste the above into a new tab - it does come up!
                Last edited by jayjay; 13-02-2012, 20:54.

Comment

Hi all,

Many thanks to PeterFowden, Mayfair Pete, and Jay Jay.. you have all provided me with an excellent link to the same van. Very many thanks.
                  I agree that it looks very good and in great condition. I will contact the garage in the morning to get some more info. They do not mention the milage in the advert and at that price it may be very high ? but certainly worth a look.
                  As I live in the Cambridgeshire fens and the van is in Somerset, it's not really close enough to just pop along for a look see.
                  I would love to own a van like that as it's much smarter than my C15.
                  I must say that knowing that the old C15's really can suffer from corrosion, I like the idea of a newer and updated front end like this one and similar types. I need to try and find one nearer to me so that I can have a drive.

Cheers
                  Scotty

PS. MayfairPete, I love the look of the mini caravan in your name picy.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                    PS. MayfairPete, I love the look of the mini caravan in your name picy.
                    Hi Scotty,
                    More pictures in my album, just click on my user name and then album and you'll se what I tow it with.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by freespirits View Post
                      New members here saying" Hello everyone,"
                      We have a1999 Freespirit on a Daihatsu Hi Jet which is really a Piaggio, clearly marked on the VIN plate.
                      This is our first attempt at a motorhome having been small tent campers for 50 odd years, we are very pleased with it , so far two trips to France and lots to Cornwall the Freespirit layout isgood and I have made a few cunning mods!
                      We bought it from the invaluable ANT last spring, about 60000 miles now 70000
                      I am in awe at the wonderful engine just a 1.3, on a decent road 45 is easy cruising, a serious hill is a different matter can be embarrassing, I would like to replace the pickup bit with a new up to date unit, but I am assured that nothing is actually imported that will fit, Piaggio is but only in left hand drive and so I was very interested to read that Peterfowden has used a Berlingo 1.9d. Was this a demountable on a Berlingo pickup? or coachbuilt moulded in job ? we look forward to meeting up with you all soon .Phil.http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/im...ies/waving.gif
                      Oops sorry for the confusion.
                      I was saying that when we changed from a C15 hytop.
                      We considered demountable romahome pods but unfortunately because of the cab size in the pickups it was not for me.
                      I ended up getting a very good deal on e-bay for a Romahome Duo+ on a berlingo chassis. In fact it was one of the first Duo's made and is featured on the download magazine pages on the main website.
                      Nearly forgot this site for demountable Romahome's he imports newer Honda pickups from japan and either swaps your old pod to them or puts one of his own on . I think he's on this forum aswell.( Tony) Actyman
                      www.actyvan.net

Good luck to Scotty in his search
                      Last edited by peterfowden; 13-02-2012, 23:45. Reason: further info input

Comment

Many thanks to all for the help and advice and very useful links to suppliers.

It looks like the demountable option is a good way to get a newer vehicle at a reasonable cost.

I checked out the Columbus in Somerset and it has 84K on the clock and looks excellent but it is a long way away and I will probably miss out on that one as I can't see it will be long before it's sold.

Has anyone any thoughts if the Honda acty with 600cc is man enough to support the romahome pod ?

Scotty.

Comment

Our first Romahome was on a Honda with a 360cc engine!!!

Peter

Comment

Did it actually move or was it a static romahome ?

It is amazing what they can do with small engines but I used to struggle to get up some hills near Dollgelly in my 1.8D C15 and as I tend to go to the hills
                            a lot for my hobby of flying radio controlled gliders, I need to keep hill climbs in mind for my next van.

Cheers
                            Scotty

Comment

Yes it went fine although we only used the Honda truck for a few weeks. We bought it to put the camper shell on an Indespension Jiffy pickup.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X