As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lateral thinking? No, vertical!

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lateral thinking? No, vertical!

Hi,

A lot of vans being considered for camper conversions do not have sufficient height to stand up in. The usual solution is to raise the hieght of the roof, by ditting either a "hi-top" or a "pop-top".

May I suggest a cheaper alternative?

Cut a hole in the van floor.

SWMBO may insist on you parking over a groundsheet. Or she may just hand me my coat. Remember, many a true work is said in jest, so think about it.

Originally posted by w3526602 View Post
    Hi,

A lot of vans being considered for camper conversions do not have sufficient height to stand up in. The usual solution is to raise the hieght of the roof, by ditting either a "hi-top" or a "pop-top".

May I suggest a cheaper alternative?

Cut a hole in the van floor.

SWMBO may insist on you parking over a groundsheet. Or she may just hand me my coat. Remember, many a true work is said in jest, so think about it.

There might be more logic in getting yourself cut off at the knees.
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

There's logic for you.
      A company called Razorback do just such a vehicle. Based on a VW, the whole floor lowers down to ground level to enable effortless loading for people like stonemasons and motorcycle recovery.
      I used to use one for recovery of Police motorcycles a few years ago but I'm sure someone could do a camper conversion.

Just Google Razorback and you'll find a few links to YouTube.

Peter

Comment

The little pod caravans (as seen on TV in Ade In Britain) have a hole in the floor. The table (when not in use) forms the floor. When the table is up, your feet can go through the hole when sitting at the table. The van comes with a sort of skirt/foot bag that snaps around the how to keep the wind and rain out.

Dave
        SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
        "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

This is exactly what I propose to do with a high roof Doblo!

The spare wheel will get relocated to a carrier on the rear NS door (like on the 'Locker' version sold in Europe) and an aperture cut into the floor to the size of the underfloor battery box (like on the Doblo Electric version).

The fitted 'box' will lower to sit on the tarmac when in parked mode, and with a Mini Heki Plus roof Vent fitted to align with the lowering floor, it becomes a stealth camper with standing room!

Whereas if the high roof Doblo had a pop top set up, it would be obvious that it was being used as a camper...

However, if a pop top is fitted, to be used in more remote locations or on campsites, the 'underfloor' locker becomes additional storage space and/or a hidden safe!

Doblo Electric, underfloor battery box.

Comment

A pop bottom instead of a pop top! cool.
            derek b and Babs

Comment

Hi,

My idea was for a simple trap-door .... and stand on the grass.

Then .... after having a shower, you just move a few feet to find a dry floor.

Comment

lateral,no vertical

Originally posted by Cal View Post
                This is exactly what I propose to do with a high roof Doblo!

The spare wheel will get relocated to a carrier on the rear NS door (like on the 'Locker' version sold in Europe) and an aperture cut into the floor to the size of the underfloor battery box (like on the Doblo Electric version).

The fitted 'box' will lower to sit on the tarmac when in parked mode, and with a Mini Heki Plus roof Vent fitted to align with the lowering floor, it becomes a stealth camper with standing room!

Whereas if the high roof Doblo had a pop top set up, it would be obvious that it was being used as a camper...

However, if a pop top is fitted, to be used in more remote locations or on campsites, the 'underfloor' locker becomes additional storage space and/or a hidden safe!

Doblo Electric, underfloor battery box.

Hi Cal,
                interesting idea. I have a high roof doblo. I would have to reorganize heights of units (being designed now) to do what you say. I think there is less room than you show in your photo as there is an exhaust pipe on a non electric doblo and our 2009 model has leaf springs that may take up a smidgeon of room. Certainly the spare wheel and some extra room is available. You probably only need say 400mm of width as standing room anyway. The doblo is a chassis based design so cutting away the floor panel should not be a structural problem. That's a big step up to the rest of the floor though! How do you mount the wheel on the door? Can you buy a wheel mounting kit?

Comment

Certainly a novel idea - but I'm lucky that I wouldn't need to do anything so drastic.

What has been enticing me to consider a high top Doblo for a mini campervan is that I can stand up in it - there are some advantages in being vertically challenged!

However, all the ones in my price range have been sheds and then there's the insurance issues. So I've given up the idea for now.

But I will watch this with interest to see if it is feasible!

Comment

Go Fred Flintstone!
                    then you don't need an engine either

Yabba Dabba Do
                    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by w3526602 View Post
                      Hi,

My idea was for a simple trap-door .... and stand on the grass.

Then .... after having a shower, you just move a few feet to find a dry floor.

Speaking as someone whose shower was in the utility tent, and who had sponged and showered, only to realise that my towel was in the van next door...

I just love this idea!
                      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

The spare wheel/rear door mount will be similar to the one fitted onto the Doblo Adventure Locker, and the exhaust will be shortened and exit on the offside, as on the lowered floor Motability supplied Doblo's.

I envisage a small section of lowered floor to allow for full height at the 'kitchen' work area's, in the manner of the demountable Romahome.

Spare wheel mount.

Side exiting exhaust.
                        Last edited by Cal; 29-08-2012, 00:29. Reason: To add info.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X