X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billdash
    replied
    It was done when we bought the van (1995 C15 HiTop) in June. There's no ply visible. The under sink cupboard has a thinish, black rubber/plastic material glued to the bottom (and sides I think), with one layer of this rubber matting on top. Can't remember what was under fridge - had it out a few months ago to repair lighter - but nothing appeared damp in there.

PS The fibreglass mouldings from the sides go right down to the floor, so it forms a tray. If there had been ply there it would be a square fairly easy to lift out.
    Last edited by billdash; 19-11-2012, 20:35.

Leave a comment:

• karenw
    replied
    Originally posted by billdash View Post
    So we've no plywood flooring at the back or anything else that can rot, get damp or smell. The rubber mat makes the floor nice and soft under the matting, and possibly cuts down road noise a little. Rubber offcuts have been used in the outside lockers to stand the gas bottles on.

A couple of times I've found a little water under there after leaving wet parkas to drip, or after heavy rain and wind. I've now drilled two 1/4" holes through the GRP in the lowest corners that hopefully will avoid pooling. (Some day I'll get round to replacing the door seal.)

All in all it seems a simple, maintenance free flooring method, especially for the area near the door which is bound to get wet at times.
    I'm interested in this. When you say you have no plywood flooring, have you removed the original ply floor fitted beneath and between the fridge and sink units? We replaced the floor in my van but it would have been a very fiddly job to remove the original and rotten ply floor so this remains in situ with a new floor on top.

Leave a comment:

• billdash
    replied
    Our HiTop is 'carpeted' with a thick synthetic (polypropylene?) material. It's non absorbent (so stays dry), doesn't seem to stain, get damp or pick up dirt. Not woven, more a sort of giant scouring pad (though it feels OK to stand on). No idea what it's called, or where it came from, but it seems to be very practical. Perhaps a type of indoor safety mat?

And underneath this in the kitchen area at the back, a previous owner put two layers of rubber matting - looks just like the stuff in this link:

http://www.boddingtons-ltd.com/produ...er-matting.php

So we've no plywood flooring at the back or anything else that can rot, get damp or smell. The rubber mat makes the floor nice and soft under the matting, and possibly cuts down road noise a little. Rubber offcuts have been used in the outside lockers to stand the gas bottles on.

A couple of times I've found a little water under there after leaving wet parkas to drip, or after heavy rain and wind. I've now drilled two 1/4" holes through the GRP in the lowest corners that hopefully will avoid pooling. (Some day I'll get round to replacing the door seal.)

All in all it seems a simple, maintenance free flooring method, especially for the area near the door which is bound to get wet at times.

PS We do have a couple of small fabric/rubber backed mats that sit on top to wipe feet on, catch grass clippings etc.
    Last edited by billdash; 19-11-2012, 20:20.

Leave a comment:

• cedas
    replied
    I have a plastic runner between the benches (the sort you buy to put over carpets in halls/entrances etc) - cheap to buy - I just cut it to make a bit narrower. Now I can happily walk in with muddy boots on. In the galley area I have a bit of off cut lino/vinyl floor covering (from don't remember where - it was just lying around in the shed) and on top of that a door rug/mat (type you'd use in doorway/ entrance) that goes in the washing machine after each trip

(Got a bit peeved the other day - it was pristine clean - went to pick up some hen food and the lad that threw the hen food in the van had muddy boots on and left muddy boot marks all over my clean mat )

Also in galley area I keep (under said pristine mat till I need to use) a rubber car mat and a couple of old small rear car mats (ie the rather small ones that go in rear footwell) - useful to put outside van if it is muddy and wet.
    Last edited by cedas; 02-11-2012, 22:42.

Leave a comment:

• karenw
    replied
    Because I've been drying out my van floor (footwell) for the last few months, I've been using paper (rabbit) feed sacks! They look untidy but they're very practical. Unlike the rubber-backed washable doormats used previously, they allow my rotten ply floor to breathe and during the wet summer have been ideal 'doormats' which are replaced after each trip!

The floor is now dry but will continue to be protected by the feed sacks. A new sheet of ply is on order and will be fitted in the next few weeks sealed with Sikaflex and epoxy with an upstand making a sealed, washable floor rather like a shower tray - but will still use washable doormats once it's in situ.

I removed the fitted carpet from the van so it stays in pristine condition for when I have to sell the van in 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• NomadSue
    replied
    I bought some cheap, washable carpet squares, and then removed the (new) carpeting from the entrance part of the pod. The washable one gets washed each time I come home, so always STARTS a trip clean. If it gets really gross when I'm away in the van, I just stand on the plasticy (spelling?!) floor covering of the pod.

The main carpet area is also protected by an extra layer of these carpet squares.

I also leave muddy wellies outside the van, upside down on cricket stumps hammered into the ground within easy each of the door.

Leave a comment:

• Lining the floor and lower surfaces inside your vehicle

to minimise draughts, heat loss and protect the surface areas from shoes etc.
    What materials do you recommend to go underfoot ?
    thanks.