This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Extinguisher

Can anyone suggest a suitable size fire extinguisher to have in the Duo. I envisage fixing it somewhere near the rear door. I am wondering also if we should get a small one to keep in the cab, and should they be the powder type?
    Ann

Hi twinkletoes

There is a similar thread here if its any use:

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=939
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      Hi twinkletoes

There is a similar thread here if its any use:

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=939
      Thanks Graham, just had a quick look, but it's about where to fit one, which will be useful info. when we have actually bought one. Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkletoes View Post
        Can anyone suggest a suitable size fire extinguisher to have in the Duo. I envisage fixing it somewhere near the rear door. I am wondering also if we should get a small one to keep in the cab, and should they be the powder type?
        Ann
        This is the one we have got which is dry powder. Pretty sure this is the one recommended for motorhomes caravans etc.

http://www.towsure.com/product/2788-...guisher_(1000g)

I am still not sure where we can fix ours though since we changed our van.
        Moya :)

Comment

Thanks Moya, I'll add that to the list I am making of stuff so I can place one order for various bits and pieces. Ann

Comment

Hi

My small powder extinguisher from Halfords had a holder with it and that made it easy to clip on to one of those over door hangers that we kept on the pelmet. Secured the frame to the hanger and the extinguisher to the frame with velcro. Easy to pull down and we could move the hanger around to suit.

Comment

rather than a fire extinguisher have you considered an asbestos blanket?

A home safety guy once recommended them to me in a kitchen because he said people in an emergency often fumble with a fire extinguisher. His point was give people a blanket and you instinctively use it right and anything more than you can chuck a blanket at you should be not stopping to try and stop... Also blankets are the best thing for cooking emergencies such as fat fires.

Comment

Have noticed that our van has a blanket. You can just pull it out. Does anyone also keep a fire bucket of water when on sites? I have noticed many on rallies.

Comment

D.P.Ex

Hi All
                  I recommend a small Dry Powder to have handy in the driver compartment,handy for possible engine fire. and a dry powder for the
                  domestic quarters. which I have. These are only to be used as a knock down
                  to control a small fire. When the fire is out the powder can be vacuumed up
                  and no mess.
                  Regards Gingertom (fire officer ret).

Comment

Reading all the helpful replies, I think we have definitely decided on a Powder version in the cab for engine use, but may go for a blanket in the kitchen area. I'll look at the ways to fit both before deciding. I agree, you should only tackle something small, a van can be replaced but a person is more precious.

Comment

Searching around for fire safety equipment I found Wicks seem to be the best value for money. I know you can't put a price on safety, but........ As long as it has the approved markings?
                      For anyone messing about on boats they have extinguishers etc. which satisfy Boat Safety Scheme Regulations.
                      Last edited by Twolitre; 16-07-2010, 19:43.
                      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingertom View Post
                        Hi All
                        I recommend a small Dry Powder to have handy in the driver compartment,handy for possible engine fire. and a dry powder for the
                        domestic quarters. which I have. These are only to be used as a knock down
                        to control a small fire. When the fire is out the powder can be vacuumed up
                        and no mess.
                        Regards Gingertom (fire officer ret).

I bought one of these from Towsure and have it placed in the storage ledge close to the cooker area. I also bought the larger one for my mobile home that I keep in the kitchen. We recently had a fire officer around to check the mobile home and although I was told I needed to have the 2litre one the 1litre was sufficient and newly bought, so he was happy with that. I like the idea of the Fire blanket to hand in the kitchen area of the roma as an extra. In a panic!! it would be easier/quicker to use. I would like to ask Gingertom, How often should we replace these extinguishers?
                        Jessie

Comment

Lidl have a 1kg dry powder extinguisher on offer from Thursday 22nd for a fiver,
                          and they will even give you a penny change.

Comment

I spoke to the Safety adviser at the local fire station recently and he recommended a fire blanket for the living part of the van and powder for the engine compartment.

He said the fire blanket is about 5 ft square, keep it partly folded and lower gently over the fire, with your hands at the back and well protected by the folds.

I found a .5 kg powder extinguiser in my garage dated 1997 I had bought for my peugeot, he suggested I keep it as a back-up for a new powder extinguiser as it may work, but could not be relied upon.

Ann

Comment

Dry Powder Ext

Hi Jessie
                              It All depends on the size normaly the weight of the Ext.This is for Co2 ext.
                              The Test for these they are weighed. For Dry Powder Ext 5 years some Ext
                              have gauges on to tell you if they are full or need replaceing.The Gauge only
                              tells you the pressure thats in the extinguisher not the amount of powder.
                              If you read most modern extinguishers they give you all the information.
                              I hope this info is usefull
                              Regards Gingertom

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X