This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension leads

My extension lead came with the van - very very long - no idea exactly how long - but longer than I have ever needed - and full of twists and kinks that I cannot remove. I decided to treat myself to a new one and really don't think I need such a long one.

What do you think is ideal length of extension for average campsite?

My van came with a 10metre cable, but several campsites I stayed at stated a 25m was needed, as it happened I got away with using a 10m, but have subsequently upgraded to 25m and have needed it on a few sites.

Jules

Comment

Bye the way the cables tend to be softer and more maliable when warm (in the sun) so you should be able to untangle it when the weather warms up,

Jules

Comment

Not long ago on a CC site in Berwick I was told that they recommend 25m long, and they even guarantee that anyone with that length will be able to reach mains. Which of course suggests that that is the length you need as some pitches require it. I bought blue arctic cable from CEF and made my own last time. It cost the same as the ready made orange ones from Go Outdoors, but oddly the blue doesn't seem to kink as much.
        The way to avoid kinks is one of those plastic rectangles that you wind cable round. The cable isn't getting twisted as you wind it up, which is what destroys the sheathing.

Comment

I have a 25 metre one and a 10 metre one.

Unless it's obvious that I need the long one I always try the short one first as it's easier to handle - but it is very often just a metre or two short and I have to get the big one out anyway.

I have been on quite a few sites where I definitely needed the longer one.

Comment

On club sites the EHU post is always no more than 25 metres from the pitch, having said that we have been pitched on a non EHU pitch and the site manager has connected us with his extension lead.
            derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by BillyPants View Post
              Not long ago on a CC site in Berwick I was told that they recommend 25m long, and they even guarantee that anyone with that length will be able to reach mains. Which of course suggests that that is the length you need as some pitches require it. I bought blue arctic cable from CEF and made my own last time. It cost the same as the ready made orange ones from Go Outdoors, but oddly the blue doesn't seem to kink as much.
              The way to avoid kinks is one of those plastic rectangles that you wind cable round. The cable isn't getting twisted as you wind it up, which is what destroys the sheathing.
              Have thought of looking for something to wrap my cable round but have never found anything sutiable to fit into locker

Comment

Originally posted by JazziJ View Post
                Bye the way the cables tend to be softer and more maliable when warm (in the sun) so you should be able to untangle it when the weather warms up,

Jules
                Warm weather in the hebrides???? I've had my cable on top of central heating boiler more than once to "soften it up" but still not happy with the kinks

Comment

You could easily make a cable holder. 2 x 20 in long pieces of dowel or 1/2 in sq batten, connected by 2 x 5in lengths of dowel, fixed about 4 inches in from the ends of the longer pieces. You're making a rough rectangle shape. It would cost next to nothing and be pretty simple to make. Attach the plug end of the cable, and wind it by turning it over end over end so that the cable isn't twisting. In fact why make one, you can buy plastic ones in some places.

Comment

I have recently swapped my 10 m cable for a 25m one as it has been to short on several trips in the last year or so. Always managed just about but the longer cable just makes life easy. The new one is on a reel so it doesn't get kinked or knotted.
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Just changed mine to a 25 m one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY

Roll your cable like this and you will avoid kinks and eventual breaks in the insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver Sudden View Post
                        Just changed mine to a 25 m one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY

Roll your cable like this and you will avoid kinks and eventual breaks in the insulation.
                        Interesting - but my hand too small to do my long cable this way or any other way!!

Comment

I use a method similar to the one in the video and it really works, and I store the cable under the drivers seat of our outlookputting it under from behind the seat.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                            I use a method similar to the one in the video and it really works, and I store the cable under the drivers seat of our outlookputting it under from behind the seat.

Peter
                            I have mine in a round bag. Also helps to keep it coiled to the same size every time.

Comment

Is it possible (and safe) to join two 10m cables to make a 20m one? That way one can stay at home if one is sure it is unnecessary??
                              Jac

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X