This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Camping?

How many folk on here go camping in the depths of winter, there are more and more sites opening all year round now and they all seems to have electric hook ups these days.

We occasionally go away in winter if we have a mild weekend but I like my home comforts too much really.

What's the worst winter weather you have camped in?

Graham
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Winter Camping

Well yes, I like my winter nights by the warm fire nice glass of malt, good book, or whatever.......... however I do plan to pop out on a few short weekends in the winter, my first long trip out will be in 2010 in April..... when I plan a trip to Southern Scotland, it still may be cold in April up there, for me as I have spent the last three years in Mojacar Spain, however April is not in the depths of winter, but still cold for me
    My planned trip as follows is:
    Crowden site, Derbyshire, April 11 & 12 Sun Mon 2 days
    Windermere site, Cumbria, April 13 & 14 Tue Wed 2 days
    Moffat site, Dumfriesshire, main destination. April 15 – 19 Thu – Mon 5 days
    Kendal site,Cumbria, April 20 & 21 Tue Wed 2 days
    Boroughbridge site, York, April 22 – 24 Thu – Sat 3 days
    Return home this is my first long trip with my romahome and looking forward to it.
    Bryan
    Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
    'Live without regrets'

Comment

December 14th up in nr Manchester. and again for New Year, and again in January 2010.

Have camped in the snow, but as snug as a bug in a rug!!

Comment

Winter Camping

Originally posted by lunnie View Post
        December 14th up in nr Manchester. and again for New Year, and again in January 2010.

Have camped in the snow, but as snug as a bug in a rug!!

Hi Lunnie, I'm often in Wolva, Penn to be exact, visiting my sister, happy travels in Manchester.

Bryan
        Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
        'Live without regrets'

Comment

winter camping

Jackie and I camp all year, the Romahome outlook is SO well insulated, and the Eberspacher blown air heater is nice. We have camped in 8 degrees of frost at Goudhurst, we were as snug as the proverbial insect loaded carpet. Continual heavy rain can dampen ones enthusiasm, but this last weekend with the rain and high wind was lovely, autumn colours, rooks playing on the wind, surprising amounts of flowers still around, a wonderfully scented Daphne hanging over a cotswold lane, unexpected warm sunny afternoon, brown crunchy leaves already, shops full of christmas stuff, little kids loving scaring grownups in their halloween outfits, how could you not enjoy winter camping?
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi Bryan,

You would be welcome to call in for a cuppa when in Wolves, I will Willenhall, 1/2 mile from JCT 10 M6.

Would be nice to meet up with another Romahomer.

Comment

We do camping all year round
              Off to Notts, York and Eden Camp in a few weeks
              Cas @(*0*)@

Comment

We camped up last Winter at Lickhill Campsite in Stourport and the heater packed up. It was a bit draughty in the middle of the night but now we have our Romalays I reckon we would manage in the Arctic.

It is not the cold that is a problem but the rain and cold together that is the killer.

Comment

I've been mad enough to camp in mid-winter in thick frosts. There's no insulation in my Roo and, needless to say, no heating either, so it's jolly chilly. It's a case of on with the thermals before I leave and they stay put for as long as possible until I return!

I enjoy winter camping but it's not quite the same as in the summer. When it's dark by 4pm the days and evenings can be very long for solo-wilding but I've no plans to give it up!

Comment

Wild Camping,.......

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                    I've been mad enough to camp in mid-winter in thick frosts. There's no insulation in my Roo and, needless to say, no heating either, so it's jolly chilly. It's a case of on with the thermals before I leave and they stay put for as long as possible until I return!

I enjoy winter camping but it's not quite the same as in the summer. When it's dark by 4pm the days and evenings can be very long for solo-wilding but I've no plans to give it up!
                    Good for you Kaz, i always prefare to wild camp........its the gypsy blood in me, or could have been nearly 30 years as a long distance truckker !!Home was were i literaly park it!(all 44 tonnes), must add tho i were always considerate, as i am today!
                    Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

Out of curiosity - are there any other winter-wilders on this forum who camp without 'home comforts' of heated and/or insulated vans? (I will confess to having a 12v microwave for heatpads though!)

Comment

Winter Camping...........

Out of curiosity - are there any other winter-wilders on this forum who camp without 'home comforts' of heated and/or insulated vans? (I will confess to having a 12v microwave for heatpads though!)
                        Eh i remember the days when i stepped outer my ,van into FROZEN sheep poo, across a frozen field, chipped ice from a lake to wash, ect ect ect ,lmao,and you have micro, heat pads,...... ya big jessie !!!! Keep on wild camping thats what i say!!( oh i forgot to add all of the above was in the nude!)...... But alas, as we get more mature we find we do need more creature comforts!!!, Take Care Rob.

Comment

Brrrrrr! I'll stick to being a big Jessie, thank you!

Comment

Brrrrrr! I'll stick to being a big Jessie, thank you!

Comment

I camp all year round. Have been in snow and minus temps quite a number of times. I do like to be on EHU in winter though so I've got some heating in the van, and no worries that the battery might go flat and leave me in the dark.

Got two more trips planned before Christmas, then away for New Year.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X