This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must have list

Hello folks. The time before I get my R20 is passing very slowly and so as a displacement activity I'm making a list of 'Things to have in the Van'.

What would you put on this list? What items do you wish you had?

All suggestions welcome, no matter how 'obvious' they may seem to you seasoned motorhomers, a newbie like myself might be oblivious to their worth.

Many thanks

Pema Lily

Originally posted by Pema Lily View Post
    Hello folks. The time before I get my R20 is passing very slowly and so as a displacement activity I'm making a list of 'Things to have in the Van'.

What would you put on this list? What items do you wish you had?

All suggestions welcome, no matter how 'obvious' they may seem to you seasoned motorhomers, a newbie like myself might be oblivious to their worth.

Many thanks

Pema Lily
    Hello Pema lily,
    When do you expect to get your R20?
    Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hello Ian.

Well, that's the $64,000 question, isn't it? I've ordered it from Ant and I KNOW he's going to do his best to make it all happen as smoothly and swiftly as possible. I'm hoping September and def before the Polstead meet in October or else I'll be turning up to the campsite on my, pushbike and looking in people's van windows enviously!

So what vital item would you suggest I add to my list?

Comment

Originally posted by Pema Lily View Post
        Hello Ian.

Well, that's the $64,000 question, isn't it? I've ordered it from Ant and I KNOW he's going to do his best to make it all happen as smoothly and swiftly as possible. I'm hoping September and def before the Polstead meet in October or else I'll be turning up to the campsite on my, pushbike and looking in people's van windows enviously!

So what vital item would you suggest I add to my list?
        A very very sharp knife, a cracking good tin opener, a solid corkscrew.A small bright torch.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hello Pema Lily,
          I'll go for the shallow option..........gas hair straighteners and a screw top bottle of wine. On a more practical note, I have a tiny sewing kit which I haven't used in four years. I'm sure if I didn't have it with me, I'd need it all the time!
          Aileen.

Comment

Some of our must haves:
            • We wouldn't be without our ipod.
            • We love barbecues, weather permitting, so that is a must as well.
            • Two comfy chairs, ours lie back and a foot rest pops out.
            • Cork screw and wine.
            • Beer in the fridge.
            • Umbrella for trips to the toilet when it rains.
            • Torch for trips to the toilet when its dark.
            • Portable telly for long dark nights.
            • Portable radio, to listen to the news in bed in the morning.
            • Binoculars, bird books and walking boots.

I'll have a think if there is anymore.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Seems to be a recurring theme of 'corkscrew' or 'screwtop' I notice!!

I have a yearning for one of those 'headlamp' type torches that leave both hands free. Anyone have one of those? Any recommendations as to brands?

All suggestions gratefully received! The List is growing nicely

Comment

Hi Lily

Everything that Graham has listed plus:

I have a headlamp torch and would not be without it.

We also carry a small strip of sticky velcro, as a tiny square of it comes in handy for anything that bangs or rubs in the van.

Also loads of neatly folded plastic carrier bags for rubbish, muddy boots, dirty washing etc.

Pen/pencil and we always leave some coins for parking in the dashboard.

Kitchen roll and tissues.

Gaffer tape came in handy when I knocked the roof vent once on a height restriction barrier!

Tabasco and garlic.

Comment

Not had a motorhome yet but esides other ideas I would suggest:-

Double Skillet (would feature high on mine)
                  Levelling ramps
                  small drinking water container (would not like to drink unboiled water from taps in a motor home)
                  Matches???
                  String (just because always seem to need it camping)
                  Duck Tap (emergency repairs)

Comment

<<.....Duck Tap (emergency repairs)...>>

What a quacking good idea....

sorry, just havin a silly moment at work...

Eric

Comment

You made me laugh Eric! Nice to have a job where you can have a silly moment or two!

Comment

Levelling Ramps

Thanks for the latest suggestions. Keep them coming!

Now, these levelling ramps. Do you find you actually need them much? and is it easy to use them solo ? Any hints welcome.

Is a duck tap like a whale tap but smaller?

Comment

Whoops.... Duct tape... that useful tape that mends everthing and WD40 seem to me essentials of emergency.... Oh dear.... must keep taking the tablets!

People on here say there are problems with the fridge lightening etc if the unit is not dead level..... I am not the expert but I would have thought having listened here that is an essential. Experianced owners out there do you use levelling ramps?

Comment

Originally posted by Roamingsue View Post
                            Experianced owners out there do you use levelling ramps?
                            We do use them occasionally, it's better than rolling out of bed when you are on a slope.

I wouldn't say they were essential though, we have camped on slopes and not had a problem with the fridge.

It is easier to use them with two people, one to drive and one to make sure they are lined up and you don't go over the top of them.
                            Graham
                            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We never used them once in the Outlook in 3 years and the fridge always worked even when we were falling sideways and feeling a bit seasick. Have used them once so far in the R30 but they sank into the ground and did not make much difference but only a small slope so no problem.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X