Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving in France and Spain - what do I need?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving in France and Spain - what do I need?

I know this is campervanning page one but...

I have driven on the continent for many years and always seemed to be able to get a clear understanding of what was needed to be legal over there.

I now need to re-equip my van and I'm finding a lot of different "lists" of requirements. For example, if I want to buy an "Essential European Driving Kit" there are many available but it's almost impossible to find 2 with the same contents. Even the RAC and AA have different "essential" kits. Some have a first aid kit, some have universal bulb kit, some have breathalysers etc etc. The only thing that appears to be in every kit is the triangle! I've also heard that in Spain I have to have 2 triangles but then I read somewhere that this only applies to Spanish residents.

I've even tried contacting the French Tourist Board who only have an answering machine and don't reply to emails!

Help!!!

Hi, the foreign office have a section on their website about driving abroad https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad

When you click on the compulsory equipment hyperlink it takes you to the AA page so I would assume the AA list is the one thats government approved so I think thats the one I would go with.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
      Hi, the foreign office have a section on their website about driving abroad https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad

When you click on the compulsory equipment hyperlink it takes you to the AA page so I would assume the AA list is the one thats government approved so I think thats the one I would go with.
      Doh! I never even thought of trying the Foreign Office. Brilliant, clear list - thanks Rob

Comment

The answer is to build your own.

This is what i class as essential although perhaps not legally necessary:
        Warning Triangle (I carry 2 as they are quite cheap)
        First Aid kit (In France it is obligatary to stop and offer assistance at an accident)
        Hi Viz vests (One for each seat and they have to be accessible without getting out of the vehicle)
        A set of spare bulbs to fit your vehicle
        Breathalizers - 2 (I do not actually carry these, although the law is on the statute books in France there is a zero euro fine for not carrying them)
        Original copies of car documents (V5, insurance cert etc). I also have paper copies of these hidden in the vehicle, my wife carries a set, we have them on a USB stick and a set at home where our kids know to find them
        House insurance details
        Passport, EHIC card, travel insurance
        Basic tool kit
        Spare wheel and jack.
        Torch
        Breakdown cover for Europe
        Mobile phone that works in Europe with credit
        Car charger for phone
        List of emergency contact numbers for bank, credit card company etc
        Emergency euros hidden somewhere.
        2 Credit cards kept in separate places. (We once had a credit card payment declined when my wife had to come back from Paris on eurostar when her father was taken ill. We could have rung up to sort it there and then but we were in a hurry and the other card was used. The payment was declined because it did not follow our normal spending pattern)

There will be loads of things that are desirable as well.

Peter

Comment

Halfords are pretty clued up too! They sell complete sets. Also, there is a section in the C&C magazine/web-site which gives advice. There are essentials throughout Europe but not always the same for each Country

Drink driving is a no-no in Italy .......... hi-viz have to be as stated, to hand not in the back of the car nor in the boot! That's why you can see lorry drivers' jackets on their seats behind them ;-).

I think one use credit cards on the 'motorway' tolls now ........ how does that work

Good health insurance is essential. One that will cover emergency care, hospital treatment, fly you home, board your pet/s and get them and your vehicle home too if necessary. (Watching a programme about bringing a pre-baby back from Spain, it cost thousands - the NHS would not fund the flight so her family needed to raise money to cover it).

Check your household Insurance too

Comment

Forgot also to mention headlamp beam converters.

The other thing is read carefully the terms of both your vehicle and breakdown insurance.

Do you need to tell them before you go? With our Romahome (Safeguard) we don't have to but with our car also with Safeguard we have to.

Some breakdown insurances for Europe demand a usable spare wheel (I wouldn't travel without one any way)and others require that the vehicle has been serviced before you go.

Peter

Comment