This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mats for dirt and wet

I'm sure many of the dog owners might provide some thought here.

When using our R20 as a removal van we managed to snag the supplied fitted carpet . On the plus side we've been thinking of doing something different for a while now so popped down our local carpet shop and got an offcut of cushion vinyl for just a few quid. A new vinyl runner goes down the van and matching square sits in the kitchen well, press-studded into place where the original carpets were.

Now we are thinking of water/dirt absorption so thinking about mats. We can buy things like Hug Rug or Dirtstopper etc - we could even get something made to measure http://cotswoldmatco.com/c/Dirt+trapper+For+Hardfloors, in which case we could have a doormat plus a runner which would add an extra layer of floor warmth.

What do people use, recommend?

I use material bath mats not the kind that one sits on when bathing. Easy to shove into the washing machine and quick to dry. They also trap dust, mud, grass and will shake out quite easily.

Comment

Next to the door I have a green plastic mat I got from Towsure years ago - I think it is this one: http://www.towsure.com/product/Astro...r_Entrance_Mat

Then I have a number of cheap cotton mats on top of the carpet which I've bought from pound shops and Ikea, these get regularly thrown in the washing machine in between trips and protect the carpet from wear and mud. This sort of thing:

$(KGrHqR,!nYFIKMdJ-b+BSK0V3K5G!~~60_12.JPG

Comment

I use rubber-back washable doormats in the footwell and a longer runner between the rear benches. I removed the carpet immediately - it's impractical for use camping with muddy boots and wellies.

In very wet weather, I add an absorbent paper sack to the rear footwell then dispose of it when it's close to disintegrating.

Comment

I have plastic runner along the "lounge area" - the sort you buy for entrances/halls in houses (use one in the house too). In the galley have a piece of removable lino (from somewhere but don't remember where), on top of that a rubber mat of the sort you get for cars generally (probably left over from some car or other but don't remember) and on top of that a nice washable mat which fits perfectly - but what was it designed for?? Don’t remember - possibly an interior door mat.

Anyway - when things get really rough - usually in galley area - I take the whole lot out and wash/clean them. The lounge area rarely gets that bad so just occasionally take out and clean the plastic runner and vacuum the carpet underneath

I use the rubber car mat outside the van when weather is bad to wipe feet before go inside!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
            I'm sure many of the dog owners might provide some thought here.

When using our R20 as a removal van we managed to snag the supplied fitted carpet . On the plus side we've been thinking of doing something different for a while now so popped down our local carpet shop and got an offcut of cushion vinyl for just a few quid. A new vinyl runner goes down the van and matching square sits in the kitchen well, press-studded into place where the original carpets were.

Now we are thinking of water/dirt absorption so thinking about mats. We can buy things like Hug Rug or Dirtstopper etc - we could even get something made to measure http://cotswoldmatco.com/c/Dirt+trapper+For+Hardfloors, in which case we could have a doormat plus a runner which would add an extra layer of floor warmth.

What do people use, recommend?
            I have done the same thing but used cut down plastic carpet runner over the original fitted carpet. This is for warmth and waterproof on top. Over the plastic runner I have hessian mats which easily clean, then if it's really cold and the dog and I are in for a while I've got cheap soft mats for cosy evenings!

Bunchy

Comment

In very wet and muddy conditions I put an old long towel over everything and just chuck it in washing machine when too dirty

Originally posted by karenw View Post
              I use rubber-back washable doormats in the footwell and a longer runner between the rear benches. I removed the carpet immediately - it's impractical for use camping with muddy boots and wellies.

In very wet weather, I add an absorbent paper sack to the rear footwell then dispose of it when it's close to disintegrating.

Comment

been thinking about replacing my carpet with vinyl. I have a nu venture surf and the original carpet is stuck down.How easy is it to pull up and replace.I live near Chester. does anyone know someone who would do this for me.
                I have 2 dogs and currently use bath mats and lots of old towels on top of the carpet

Comment

We find an outside mat similiar in appearance to astro turf takes a lot off our shoes which would otherwise tread into the van!
                  derek b and Babs

Comment

We've just bought a rubber backed Magi mat type of rug for the caravan. Havent tried it yet, but hope it will absorb wet pawprints and remove at least some dirt from our feet! Its machine washable and was only £6, so not the end of the world if its no good!

Comment

Originally posted by maddy View Post
                      We've just bought a rubber backed Magi mat type of rug for the caravan. Havent tried it yet, but hope it will absorb wet pawprints and remove at least some dirt from our feet! Its machine washable and was only £6, so not the end of the world if its no good!
                      The Three Magi came bearing gifts of gold, frankincense, and a mat, doesn't have the same ring somehow.
                      derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by derek b View Post
                        The Three Magi came bearing gifts of gold, frankincense, and a mat, doesn't have the same ring somehow.
                        That's cheered me up no end!

Comment

I don't care what they bring, a gift is a gift.............

Comment

a gift is a gift - diamonds, creme brûlée, rum baba ……….. see not fussed either

Comment

Many years ago I brought a runner with rubber back plus two smaller ones all in a set from Matalan cost 10pds in the well I use a large rubber backed door mat plus I keep my old car rubber mats on top for using outside. As said big towels or bathmats do the job, anything that goes into the washer.
                              VinylnI think is cold and wet feet slip on it..so not for me.

Comment