Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Value Camp Sites

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Good Value Camp Sites

    I have been wondering if the Forum should have a thread on good value camp sites. I know we have Reviews of sites but it would be good to have a thread that specifically addressed cost. £20+ seems to be so much the norm these days, yet it should still be possible to stay for less. We have just booked the Rowing Club at Durham for £10 a night including EHU. I really feel as though I should be fighting against paying too much, it gets scary how quickly it all adds up.

    I know it will be difficult because prices can vary depending on people/vans/awnings/dogs/seasons etc. So perhaps no hard and fast benchmarks like under £15, just sites that are considered to be excellent value for money. What do you think?


    PS
    Forget to add, no wilding suggestions, this is one for those of us that like sites!!!!!!
    Last edited by Vanderella; 12-03-2014, 14:52. Reason: John came along and pointed out all my typos!
    Mary

    #2
    I think thats an excellent idea. As you say, £20 is almost normal, and it is a lot to pay for some places. Our theory has always been to camp as cheaply as possible, leaving more money for more nights away!! If we had always used club sites for example, we could only have got away about a third as often. The Haven sites are cheap, not really our cup of tea, but great to use as a base. We have had a week in July at Rockley Park, with ehu for £44 in July!!!

    Comment


      #3
      That's a great idea Mary. I agree that (some) sites prices are getting out of hand. I have been known to drive away before now.

      Can we also consider stating whether sites are willing reduce the fee if you don't have a hook up?

      Even the prices asked by some CLs and CSs are too high IMO
      :jump for joy:Jimish

      Comment


        #4
        Here are some from me. Yes, from ME, the wilder!

        Garloch: I paid below the published rate on my visit some years ago because I had just a 'small van', ie Kangoo.
        Very friendly owners. Clean hot showers - a bit dated but very good value for £7 including EHU and a park where you choose attitude with loads of space. Very quiet.
        http://www.sandscaravanandcamping.co.uk/index.html


        Durness: A spacious clifftop site overlooking stunning beaches. Arrive when you wish and choose your own pitch with plenty space for everyone. The warden collects fees the following morning if you arrive when reception is closed. He maintains a presence on the site and is always working - cutting the grass, emptying bins and seemingly has no staff. Showers etc are very basic but maintained. Free gas available in the campers' kitchen and free camping without facilities during the winter months - very fair indeed. Very quiet during my visits but no shelter from gales!
        £7/night per adult.
        http://www.sangosands.com/index.html

        These are the two sites I will be visiting during my hoped-for Scotland jaunt.

        Comment


          #5
          Sango Sands

          Karen you had better not let the owner of Sango Sands find out you are a wilder he was one of the instigators of the No Overnight Parking for Motor Caravans if he or his friends see vans OFF site they create hassle for the owners we have experienced this first hand he also used to ask where you had stayed the night before if you said wild camping he refused access this we know as he refused us one year we used to go to the Highlads 2 or 3 times a year.

          Alf


          Originally posted by karenw View Post
          Here are some from me. Yes, from ME, the wilder!

          Garloch: I paid below the published rate on my visit some years ago because I had just a 'small van', ie Kangoo.
          Very friendly owners. Clean hot showers - a bit dated but very good value for £7 including EHU and a park where you choose attitude with loads of space. Very quiet.
          http://www.sandscaravanandcamping.co.uk/index.html


          Durness: A spacious clifftop site overlooking stunning beaches. Arrive when you wish and choose your own pitch with plenty space for everyone. The warden collects fees the following morning if you arrive when reception is closed. He maintains a presence on the site and is always working - cutting the grass, emptying bins and seemingly has no staff. Showers etc are very basic but maintained. Free gas available in the campers' kitchen and free camping without facilities during the winter months - very fair indeed. Very quiet during my visits but no shelter from gales!
          £7/night per adult.
          http://www.sangosands.com/index.html

          These are the two sites I will be visiting during my hoped-for Scotland jaunt.

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks for this great thread Mary.

            We like Manor Bungalow CL at Friskney in Lincolnshire. They charge £9 all in, no extras for awning, electric etc. There are no toilets or showers but it is within walking distance of a shop and a pub where meals are served. It is close to Boston and within 20 mins drive to Skegness on the east coast.

            Here is the website http://www.manorbungalow.co.uk/page1.php


            Here is our video review

            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by alf39 View Post
              Karen you had better not let the owner of Sango Sands find out you are a wilder he was one of the instigators of the No Overnight Parking for Motor Caravans if he or his friends see vans OFF site they create hassle for the owners we have experienced this first hand he also used to ask where you had stayed the night before if you said wild camping he refused access this we know as he refused us one year we used to go to the Highlands 2 or 3 times a year.
              Alf
              He's also a local Councillor hence his understandable vested interest in promoting his site/business. On the times I've stayed, he simply took my money and wished me a good day with no further questions asked. I never disclose to anyone where I've parked or where my next spot will be - and often I don't know myself!

              The NOP issue has now hopefully been resolved but I wouldn't get into lengthy political debates with him. I'm happy to pay my £5 (as it was then) to use his showers (even if I don't spend the night there) just like any other camper, but that's as far as it goes. So far I've found him very fair, amenable and definitely hard-working.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jimish View Post

                Even the prices asked by some CLs and CSs are too high IMO
                Precisely, used to be that we looked to CLs and CSs for their extraordinary value! My sister was commenting to me only yesterday that they were going to stay with a friend who has just opened a CL in Wales. She looked it up online and was amazed to see them charging over £20 for virtually no facilities.
                Mary

                Comment


                  #9
                  Very good thread Mary.
                  As a relative newby to this, I do think £20 a night is a bit steep. I don't particularly want a large commercial site with all sorts of amenities that we won't use and would much prefer a smaller, quieter site where you get to meet the owner/farmer and maybe rough it a bit but get a little closer to nature.
                  Unfortunately I have not had much experience of camp sites in the last 20 years so can't contribute but your experiences will be most welcome.

                  Comment


                    #10

                    Great idea Mary - gives us a bit of a challenge! I'm staying at a CL this coming weekend - the BB said £10, leccy included, but I just got an email from the site owner saying it's £12. Too late to start hunting around for another as I made plans. No biggie, but if I stay on a CL, £10 is my moral limit.
                    The phenomenal popularity of camping is creating a favourable financial opportunity for campsite owners, but when the recession peters out, we may be back in the driving seat! I sure wish we had a Municipal Campsite system like the French do - it ain't all about money for the pitches over there, it's about attracting punters to the region. Long sighted!

                    Jac
                    Last edited by jacsprat; 12-03-2014, 20:22.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Sango Sands

                      Sango Sands is brilliant on a nice day,but without shelter its horrendous when its windy,after the wet weather this year i am not sure i fancy parking that close to the cliff edge again,half way along Loch Eriboll there is a small cafe with a C/L in the back garden it has toilets and hook up but no showers, plus access to the loch
                      Another favourite is Shiedaig the crofters association run a camping area above the village basic facilities no hook up,loos at bottom of slope to village,tap at entrance leave donation in coffee tin nailed to gate post when leaving,must be one of the most scenic camping locations in Scotland,cant wait to go back

                      Comment

                      Related Topics

                      Collapse

                      320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                      Collapse

                      728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X