This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beddgelert Forestry Site, North Wales

Arrived home from here last Tuesday, after a wonderful week, in spite of the rain!

As the site name suggests, it's right in the forest, just outside Beddgelert on the road to Caernarfon. Arriving in the rain and after a long journey we weren't very aware of the beautiful area surrounding the site until we ventured out the next morning. The site is hidden amongst trees, mainly silver birch and oaks, and has several streams running through the site, and you get glimpses of the surrounding hills and mountains through breaks in the trees. It is in fact just a short distance to Snowdon itself. It is within walking distance of Beddgelert, again a lovely walk there mainly, through the forest.

On arrival, in heavy rain, it was not easy finding a suitable pitch, as it was fairly busy. But in a way, it was good we arrived in rain, because several pitches at the far end of the site were standing in water, or had running water across them. So choose your pitch carefully in bad weather. I must add that it is only a relatively small number of pitches that were affected, and they did drain fairly well, even though they'd had a rainy week before, and our week was to be the same.

The site itself is delightful with all the birds and wild life around (though you're not supposed to feed the wildlife. But we weren't the only ones to make a wet week special by observing the tree creepers, jays, squirrels, rabbits etc feeding and playing!)

The facilities are excellent, though it was a fair way to walk from some pitches. Excellent laundry and drying facilities, as they're well used to walkers, climbers etc. There were several people here over the weekend for the Snowdon run -up and down in a couple of hours or so - in dreadful rainy conditions this year. There is also a room to relax in, I'm sure the tenters made good use of this in the bad weather. The shop is excellent, bread, pizza etc can be ordered, and the staff very helpful - and expert at pulling cars, caravans etc out of the soggy grass with their tractor! All their campers and caravans have a hard standing pitch.

A lovely and unexpected feature of the site, is the Welsh Highland Railway passing right next to the boundary on one side. We were right next to this, and it was super to listen out for it and take photos and wave as it passed several times a day. It even stopped at the campsite if you put your hand out to request it to stop.

I'm trying to post two photos, but it isn't letting me do so. Maybe I've been on line too long, so I'll post this first ,so I don't lose this and then try again.

All in all, its an excellent site in beautiful peaceful surroundings. We thoroughly recommend it. And if you're a CCC or forestry site member, you get a good discount.
    Mary
    :sunshine:

Hi Mary, thanks for the info, lovely well written review!

I'm thinking of going there sometime in September, so that's come in handy!! Can't wait to see the photos.

One thing I did wonder about - are there kazzions of flies, midges, gnats and the like? I did wonder if there were, seeing as it's in a forest... or are the pitches in clearings? Did you have to watch out for tree roots and the like when pitching? I've never been to a forest site, but Beddgelert (pronounced Bethgelert, which means Gelert's Grave) is a lovely place, I've been there many times, but never stayed in the area, only visited for the day.

Comment

Hi Jayjay,

I've replied to you twice tonight but each time I've gone off line when I try to submit the reply This must be why I can't post the photos too. I'll see what happens now, before I've written too much

Comment

Hurray, that ones gone, so I'll try again. If only I'd saved it - how can I do that?

We had no problems with midges etc but bear in mind it was a rainy week.

Some of the pitches are in grassy clearings, but all caravans and campers have hardstands. Many of the pitches are amongst the trees. There are good routes around the site so no need to drive on the grass, - in fact don't in rainy weather (see my previous post re tractor!!) The hardstands have slate chippings, some small chips, some larger chips, in fact chips with everything! If you use an awning, you will most likely put it up on the hardstand, and you will need the stronger pegs, as the ordinary ones will bend and not go in very far. Theres' no problem with tree roots.

There's a super walk to Beddgelert from the site, then past the dog's grave and on to the Aberglaslyn pass along the river -rocky and uneven for the last part of the route. Oh, and just down the road from the site to B there's a super outdoors shop you'll walk past. If you go in, you're bound to go back on a rainy morning and buy loads of bargain gear - an ideal way to pass a rainy morning!

We also love the New forest sites, our favourite being Setthorns, which has loads of birds and wildlife. Each site has it's own character, some have no facilities, just water and chem disposal of course, and are in unspoilt natural areas. Wonderful.

Right, try again to post this.

Comment

Hurray!"At last it's gone Paul showed me how to save it ,and after 2 more attempts, it's worked. I suppose it's too much to hope for I can now send the photos? You'll know the answer by whether they appear or not. Last attempt tonight, then not around till Wed evening. We go to our bungalow Mon - Wed for our weekend. We live in at Paul's job the rest of the week, until he retires in 20 months and counting!

Comment

Thanks for the review, and thanks jayjay for the question about the midges. I was reading the original posting and thinking "mmm....what about midges", scrolled down ready to ask, and there was your question

Drove into the Brecon Beacons recently and couldn't have spent more than half an hour outside the van, within 24 hours I had various bites that tooks days to go away . I think anything that bites is instantly attracted to me - don't think I'll take the van to Transylvania any time soon!
            Neil

Comment

get some citronella candles (and citronella oil, dab onclothing, etc) - if they aren't deterred by the smell, the smoke will kill them off!

Skin-so-soft hand/face cream by Avon (you can order on-line) also deters.
              This one is on special offer at the mo: http://avonshop.co.uk/product/bath-a...vonshop_201012

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                get some citronella candles (and citronella oil, dab onclothing, etc) - if they aren't deterred by the smell, the smoke will kill them off!

This one is on special offer at the mo: http://avonshop.co.uk/product/bath-a...vonshop_201012
                Yes...I've heard about this one before...think I'll have to give it a try...thanks.

And if this lot doesn't work, at least both myself and the van will end up smelling...er...nice.
                Neil

Comment

Having read about killer midges at Spiers House forest site, we searched for citronella candles but initially couldn't get any(we were already on our hols at the time and there wasn't a vast array of shops to look at!!!).
                  So we bought some mosquito coils like these from an outdoor shop. We then found some citronella candles too. Having tried both, the coils seemed to work much better. We only used them whilst sitting out under the awning, they do give off a fair amount of smoke.
                  They aren't the easiest things to seperate from each other though, but we just burnt the bits if we snapped one. An empty beer can made a perfect holder, we just trapped the broken coil bits under the ring pull
                  Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

This is what you need from Avon for repelling the little beasties - Skin so soft dry oil spray The 2nd review praises it as a midge/insect repellent. Never heard anyone mention the cream as being useful for that.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                      This is what you need from Avon for repelling the little beasties - Skin so soft dry oil spray The 2nd review praises it as a midge/insect repellent. Never heard anyone mention the cream as being useful for that.
                      No, you're right, Wendy, I got the wrong stuff! Although most of the Skin so Soft range seems to work. I used to use the bath one and that worked as well!

Comment

Too late! I've gone and ordered the wrong one..drat!

Oh well.....hopefully it'll work in some capacity. And if it doesn't...won't my skin be nice and soft!
                        Neil

Comment

Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
                          Too late! I've gone and ordered the wrong one..drat!

Oh well.....hopefully it'll work in some capacity. And if it doesn't...won't my skin be nice and soft!
                          Oh Lordy, Neil, so sorry! maybe it will work anyway, the skin so soft range all seems to contain something midges and the like hate!

At least the 'subtle scent' the review mentions on the site won't have you smelling like a bunch of flowers, eh?

Comment

At least the 'subtle scent' the review mentions on the site won't have you smelling like a bunch of flowers, eh?
                            Let's hope not...otherwise my family and friends might start to see me in a new light
                            Neil

Comment

Hi Mary, thanks for the info, lovely well written review!

I'm thinking of going there sometime in September, so that's come in handy!! Can't wait to see the photos.

One thing I did wonder about - are there kazzions of flies, midges, gnats and the like? I did wonder if there were, seeing as it's in a forest... or are the pitches in clearings? Did you have to watch out for tree roots and the like when pitching? I've never been to a forest site, but Beddgelert (pronounced Bethgelert, which means Gelert's Grave) is a lovely place, I've been there many times, but never stayed in the area, only visited for the day.
                              Hi Jayjay,

Still having problems with posts - it seems it's at our end - I keep going off line still. I'll get the photos for you to see asap. Mary

Comment