Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non ehu pitches

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Non ehu pitches

    Is anyone aware of the C&CC policy on provision of non electric pitches. I had a difficult time at Moreton club site last weekend when I asked if I could go on a service pitch but was not sure if I would use the hookup depending on the weather. The site was hardly a quarter full and there were loads of service pitches available. Appeared to be very few non electric pitches.

    I shall be very unhappy if I have to pay for a service pitch which I do not need in the summer.

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

    #2
    Originally posted by lizzie View Post
    Is anyone aware of the C&CC policy on provision of non electric pitches. I had a difficult time at Moreton club site last weekend when I asked if I could go on a service pitch but was not sure if I would use the hookup depending on the weather. The site was hardly a quarter full and there were loads of service pitches available. Appeared to be very few non electric pitches.

    I shall be very unhappy if I have to pay for a service pitch which I do not need in the summer.

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Not quite the same thing lizzie. But a couple of years ago after a trip to the I.O.W. I wanted to stop off close to Brooklands for a long desired visit.
    Chertsey C&CC Site seemed to fit the bill so I pre-booked a non-EHU pitch from the I.O.W. by mobile phone.
    Both EHU and non-EHU pitches were listed in the sites book along with prices. My booking was accepted.
    On arrival I was told they did not have non-EHU sites and must pay for a EHU pitch. Or presumably "clear off"!
    Even though I did not use the EHU, I was still charged for it!
    Late in the day and around 200 miles from home in a heavily built up area I had little choice.
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

    Comment


      #3
      Sometimes it feels like camping as I knew it not very long ago is fast disappearing. I cannot help but feel that the provision of mainly service pitches is a way of increasing income. I cannot believe that all club members require ehu and as we do in theory own the club and pay the same subscription each year we should be provided for. If there is not a non service pitch available or if it is only in a particularly grotty area as club members we should be able to use a service pitch without the ehu fee.

      Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by lizzie View Post
        Sometimes it feels like camping as I knew it not very long ago is fast disappearing. I cannot help but feel that the provision of mainly service pitches is a way of increasing income. I cannot believe that all club members require ehu and as we do in theory own the club and pay the same subscription each year we should be provided for. If there is not a non service pitch available or if it is only in a particularly grotty area as club members we should be able to use a service pitch without the ehu fee...
        Although I disagree with your last sentence, I do agree that it's getting harder to book a non-service pitch. Or at least, it is online or through the call-centre.
        In fact I've emailed C&CC just today asking why an online search showed availability of grass pitches (serviced or unserviced) for tents, but only serviced hardstanding for a campervan. A few months ago I was assured that all types of pitch should be available to campervans/small motorhomes unless there was some local condition (e.g. waterlogging) which made it temporarily inadvisable.

        A call direct to the site often solves the problem. Also I have to mention that one time the online system said ehu wasn't available, we rang the site and it was!

        As you say, it's a members' organisation, so there is a system for questioning any policies and practices up to raising motions at the AGM.
        Geoff

        Comment


          #5
          I am interested by the discussion re camping without ehu. There appears to be more of a problem finding somewhere to camp where you can enjoy this simple pleasure. That is of course unless you are a wilder!

          Your comments re the booking system are interesting Artoo. I hope you did not think I was asking to camp on a serviced pitch, using the hook up but not paying for it! If I can only stay on the standard pitches my use of the club sites will be limited by their scarcity.

          Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by lizzie View Post
            I am interested by the discussion re camping without ehu. There appears to be more of a problem finding somewhere to camp where you can enjoy this simple pleasure. That is of course unless you are a wilder!

            Your comments re the booking system are interesting Artoo. I hope you did not think I was asking to camp on a serviced pitch, using the hook up but not paying for it! If I can only stay on the standard pitches my use of the club sites will be limited by their scarcity.

            Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
            Oh no Lizzie, I didn't think you were wanting "something for nothing". It was more an analogy to going into a shop to find that the cheaper item you wanted was out of stock. You wouldn't then expect to get a more expensive version at the cheaper price. Your point about limiting by scarcity is certainly valid though!

            Perhaps if all of us who are CCC members were quicker to raise our concerns with the club (me included) then we might see some positive response.
            By that I mean emails or letters directly to them, or use the Online Contact form! Facebook is useless as it has little credibility - lots of comments but by a very small number of people, plus of course posting a differing opinion just invites personal abuse! Also it means the club can respond to numerous comments with just a single post. If individual replies are necessary (even if they are "copied and pasted") then the number of concerned members might be emphasised.

            Now I have stirred myself to contact them I hope for a quick response, as I included the info that our renewal is due at the end of this month. They can read what they want into that!

            The sad thing is, we actually do want ehu this time, but resent not being offered all the options!
            Geoff

            Comment


              #7
              Yes I do understand your point. Though if the availability of non ehu is so limited there would appear not to be a proper choice. As you say an email to the club would be sensible. I suppose I was posting in case anyone had already had the clarification from the horses mouth. I would like to avoid in the future the unpleasant encounter with wardens I experienced last weekend.
              I am becoming somewhat disillusioned by the so called friendly club!


              Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

              Comment


                #8
                I recently visited Umberleigh (CCC), it wasn't a pre-planned visit, as I'd changed my plans following a change for the better in the weather. The site was virtually empty and although I was looking for a basic grass pitch, I was offered a full service hardstanding at the lower cost - just over £6 - as the warden thought the grass areas might still be a bit too damp & mudddy. I doubt that would happen at a busier time though. There was significant work in progress to add 4 more hardstanding pitches. Personally I'd rather be on grass whenever possible & would only want EHU for a longer stay or in very cold weather.

                mazzer

                Comment


                  #9
                  I've just returned from Wolverley C&CC site with my Sis. As I was stupid enough not to take any kind of photo ID, unless I return with it before the end of May, so that someone in authority can have sight of my ID I will lose my entitlement to the age related discount until I reach the age of 60. And that was one of the main reason I joined. Their prices are now on a par with other sites, without that discount.

                  As Wolverley or Leek are the nearest sites to me, that means a minimum 120 or 60 mile round trip to one or the other to do this. And that does make me mad. Why should we have to prove our age when we already used to have the age related discount? I've only been entitled to it for a year and a half. Now it will be taken off me unless I make a special trip so that I can have my card stamped.

                  Seems to me these new rules are just impossible to work with - for their loyal campers anyway.
                  Last edited by jayjay; 19-04-2014, 16:21.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I have been following this thread with interest!
                    With my Chief Rally Organisers hat on,may I say I can get rally fields that are very cheap, BUT , they are just that..... a field,with a water tap and a manhole for toilet waste ............... nothing else!

                    The Romaclub use sites like this all the time,but when I ask around the SMHC family,the bulk of members want EHU,plus toilets, on hard standing as a minimum requirement.

                    Finding rally sites with 30 to 50 EHU is not a simple task.

                    I will be available at the Spring rally to hear your views in person if that helps
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
                      I have been following this thread with interest!
                      With my Chief Rally Organisers hat on,may I say I can get rally fields that are very cheap, BUT , they are just that..... a field,with a water tap and a manhole for toilet waste ............... nothing else!

                      The Romaclub use sites like this all the time,but when I ask around the SMHC family,the bulk of members want EHU,plus toilets, on hard standing as a minimum requirement.

                      Finding rally sites with 30 to 50 EHU is not a simple task.

                      I will be available at the Spring rally to hear your views in person if that helps
                      I'm happy without EHU most of the time and can manage without showers for short breaks (though I might not be incredibly popular!), but a toilet is essential. I guess we're all looking for slightly different combinations!

                      mazzer

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
                        I have been following this thread with interest!
                        With my Chief Rally Organisers hat on,may I say I can get rally fields that are very cheap, BUT , they are just that..... a field,with a water tap and a manhole for toilet waste ............... nothing else!

                        The Romaclub use sites like this all the time,but when I ask around the SMHC family,the bulk of members want EHU,plus toilets, on hard standing as a minimum requirement.

                        Finding rally sites with 30 to 50 EHU is not a simple task.

                        I will be available at the Spring rally to hear your views in person if that helps
                        I must confess Ian that the insistence oh EHU and every creature comforts by modern campers etc. has always puzzled me.
                        So yes, I AM old. But that means I have been camping/caravanning since 1967.
                        At that time we did it as the only way we could afford to stay away for more than a day or two. We did not have a fridge, the lighting was gas and there was no heating of any kind. And the NEW Porta Potties were WONDERFUL. Oh and we carried a shovel too in case we needed to dig a hole to empty it!
                        EHU was not available. And if it had been, even the newest luxury caravans would have needed modifications to use it.
                        While there is charm in the relaxation away from home. I am not sure what many folk are getting away FROM. It is certainly not the modern gadgets and technology, nor money saving.
                        If money is not a problem and every modern convenience is required then why not go away to a hotel and let someone else do the drudgery bits too?
                        I must confess the economy of simple camping does appeal to me by leaving more in my pocket for other interests in life.
                        As you have probably guessed. Had the deal you have organised this time not included EHU I would not be bothered. But I may bring one or two extra electrical "entertainments" this time.
                        Oh yes. I might as well add that all the times I have said "no" to EHU I have had all the necessary "plumbing" etc. as fitted by the previous owner. The only time I have used the EHU was with you in Wales - where I think it was included anyway.
                        Jim.
                        Last edited by Twolitre; 19-04-2014, 17:28.
                        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I prefer EHU in Spring and Autumn, it can be very cold at nights! And I hate being cold, it makes my bones ache! It's ok roughing it during the summer, but if you can get EHU, that's my preferred choice in the cooler months.

                          Having spent a week at a THS last year, in a field with just a tap and a loo waste disposal (luggable loo and shower in the awning), I'm ok with that in the summer. And always go to the Moira Furnace Fest in August where there isn't a choice.

                          But I prefer to have EHU. And flushing loos and hot showers as well. I too went camping with my parents from an early age, we had gas mantles and a foot water pump, and no EHU as it hadn't been invented then. We had some great holidays. However, camping doesn't have to be some kind of endurance test these days if you prefer it not to be! JMHO.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                            I've just returned from Wolverley C&CC site with my Sis. As I was stupid enough not to take any kind of photo ID, unless I return with it before the end of May, so that someone in authority can have sight of my ID I will lose my entitlement to the age related discount until I reach the age of 60. And that was one of the main reason I joined. Their prices are now on a par with other sites, without that discount.

                            As Wolverley or Leek are the nearest sites to me, that means a minimum 120 or 60 mile round trip to one or the other to do this. And that does make me mad. Why should we have to prove our age when we already used to have the age related discount? I've only been entitled to it for a year and a half. Now it will be taken off me unless I make a special trip so that I can have my card stamped.

                            Seems to me these new rules are just impossible to work with - for their loyal campers anyway.
                            Hi Jayjay. Take a look at this link:-
                            http://www.campingandcaravanningclub...ssion-members/

                            First of all you have until 21st July to claim your Concession, but I believe that only applies to people claiming it for the first time anyway. (Incidentally, I notice they accept a Birth Certificate and that doesn't have a photo!)

                            That page clearly says " All current Age Concession holders will keep their status regardless of age".

                            If you've had it for a year and a half, then you keep it. I'm puzzled that it isn't already on your card as it should have been stamped back then when you first claimed it. Then the renewal card you'll have had since should have "Age Concession" printed on it.

                            If it hasn't, I'd suggest you email CCC.
                            Last edited by Artoo0; 20-04-2014, 14:40. Reason: typo
                            Geoff

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I note that more and more sites either Club or private are charging for EHU even if it is not required ………….

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X