As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing carbon fibre poles - help please !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing carbon fibre poles - help please !

Hiya - anyone got a link to a good video or instructions for replacing a damaged carbon fibre pole It's one of those with elastic through and part of a row of I don't know how many ! It's for my Movelite awning - which I love - but one pole just decided to crack when I was on the IoW last week.

BTW: the fibres hurt if you get them in your fingers !

In ancipation .... thanks a lot.

Carole.

PS where did the hot weather go ?

We will be interested in this as our awning nearly landed in next field when we were in Scotland. Atrocious weather and several broken fibre poles.

Comment

can't give you any tips i'm afraid, when we had a problem with 1 of our poles we just ordered an entire new pole cos the lady on the phone said that trying to re-thread the elastic was a right pain in the ........neck!
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Camping shops sell packets of pole segments in at least two diameters and, if I remember rightly, with replacement elastic as well.

Just remember, when threading the elastic, to anchor one end of it round a pencil - otherwise just as you think you have finished it pings loose and catches you round the fingers. Guess how I found that one out!

Liz

Comment

If I remember rightly I enquired a couple of years ago about a complete set of poles for the Movelite and it was only about £10 for a set. It might be just as easy to do that. Like you say a nightmare trying to rethread a single section. This is their phone number if you want to see how much they are now.

OUTDOOR REVOLUTION, Unit 2, Beehive Business Park, Smithies Lane,
          Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire, WF16 0PN, Tel: 01924 410050
          Moya :)

Comment

HI I had to change a pole today funnily enough- you will need scissors ,insulation tape, tweezers, large needle, and strong thread.

First use tweezers to catch hold of shock cord end- nearest to damaged pole.(hardest part)
            2nd pull out cord end put insulation tape around cord once as near to knot as possible- remove knot with scissors.

Now remove good poles until broken pole is removed- replace pole lengths by using threaded needle- make sure thread is at least two and a half times the length of one pole section, with thread doubled -tie end of thread just above the insulation tape on the shock cord - then drop the needle with thread through the pole hole- (dampen thread to make it less bulky helps) shake needle down and pull gently but firmly until shock cord appears repeat as necessary -double knot the shock cord when task completed and leave some thread tucked into end of pole to make it easier next time.
            Last edited by leftnoright; 04-08-2010, 22:26.

Comment

Carbon fibre poles

Hi Carole try Amazon type in search bar >>> tent pole replacement kit <<<

From £14.95 down to £6.95 depending on diameter of poles.

Good Luck

Happy to Help

Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Sotontraveller View Post
                Hiya - anyone got a link to a good video or instructions for replacing a damaged carbon fibre pole It's one of those with elastic through and part of a row of I don't know how many ! It's for my Movelite awning - which I love - but one pole just decided to crack when I was on the IoW last week.

BTW: the fibres hurt if you get them in your fingers !

In ancipation .... thanks a lot.

Carole.

PS where did the hot weather go ?
                Re Hot weather funnily enough the sun has been shining here ALL day phew it sure has been "HOT" up here today

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer101 View Post
                  Hi Carole try Amazon type in search bar >>> tent pole replacement kit <<<

From £14.95 down to £6.95 depending on diameter of poles.

Good Luck

Happy to Help

Billy
                  Nice one Billy, here is the link if anyone is interested, buy from this link and earn a small commission for the forum to help with running costs.

TENT POLE REPLACEMENT KIT
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Tent pole replacement

Brilliant, All - thank you so much for prompt and really helpful responses. I will attempt the DIY version first, seeing as (1) I have a spare pole and (2) I'm reasonably nifty at these sorts of things. I also have some good fall-backs and will take a look at those too.

The next question is: when shall I do it ? I have a friend coming to stay tonight when I know we will open a couple of bottles of bubbly at least ..... perhaps I shouldn't do it then...

You may well get an update

Carole

Comment

Repaired awning pole

Leftnoright - your instructions were wonderful - thank you .

I eventually found the time and enthusiasm to do this today. It probably took me the best part of an hour.

Picking up a couple of Leftnight's points:
                      (1) I put on gloves first (those carbon filaments are so painful); (2) split the broken pole as far as I could (there's a metal stopper thing on the end which goes into the next pole); (3) joined the full length of poles. The net effect of this was to reduce the tension in the shock cord as far as possible. (4) Using a torch I found out how far up the end pole the shock cord knot was to be found - fortunately not very far now. (5) I am lucky in having beader's tweezers which are very long (purchased in eg Hobby Craft or on line) and this helped get out the cord amazingly easily. (6) I also used the insulation tape to hold the knotted end of the cord clear of the end of the last pole and stuck it to its current pole. This enabled me to undo the knot rather than cut it off (when I would have lost length). (7) Once the knot was out, I released the insulation tape from its holding position, trimmed and - in fear and trepidation - let go of the cord. The whole lot came apart relatively easily - with just a little encouragement. (8) Once the cord was released from the damaged pole, I then trimmed the end of the cord and continued exactly as Leftnoright's instructions.

All is now packaged away ready for the next use - possbily for Love Travel's next outing - if and when it gets its act together.

Pendel - give it go. It was remarkably satisfying

Thanks again to all for their contributions. It is this sort of stuff that really makes this site so useful. Thank you Graham and Pauline

See (some of) you soon - Carole

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X