This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brightlock security handle

Has anybody got one of these? It is a security locking handle that fits over the normal rear door handle. Thinking of getting one just as an extra detterent when the van is parked up in car park etc.
    Moya :)

Hi Moya,
    they are £45 each. and I am not convinced that the rear door is the weakest part, the side windows are very vunerable to a determined yobbo, but if it helps you to shop without shaking then i guess its worth it.
    My C15 had stabledoors and at first I was concerned about how easy it seemed to bust in, but a policeman chum said I was worrying about the wrong thing,car thieves can get into the cab of almost any car in seconds.
    He advised a good steering wheel security bar,which I got and still use.
    My VW motorcaravan had steel doors all round with good strong locks, an immobiliser and alarm, and a steering clamp.The scummyones nicked it by hooking up to a tow truck.
    If its going to happen all the gizmos wont stop it, at that point you need a good insurance policy that pays full market value plus contents.
    Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Some of the Fiamma door locks are cheaper, so shop around. If you're worried about the contents of your van whilst shopping, one of these would certainly put your mind at ease.

I would love the one which turns into a grab handle, however at £60-90, I don't think so! Also wonder about fixing something like that, then pulling on it so often...

Like Ian said though, nothing will deter a determined thief. I also had the same advice from the Police, get a visible steering lock and use it. Even whilst these don't take long for a thief to disable, they tend to move onto another car which doesn't have one fitted.

Comment

Thanks Ian & Jayjay for your thoughts on this. I must admit I tend to think that way - if someone is determined to break in they will, a bit like your house really. It is just a matter of stopping the opportunist.

We have got the Thatcham approved crook lock Ian which as you say is a visible thing that can put them off. It is Roger who was thinking about it as we saw them at the Newbury motorhome show but he is a salesman's dream at the best of times I must admit it I thought about it as well but tend to think more along the lines that you do Ian. If the toerags are going to steal the van itself they will no matter what alarms etc. that you have on it.

Thanks
        Moya :)

Comment

Yes I agree if someone is really determined to steal your van then they will, having said that the more visible deterrents you have the more likelyhood of stopping the opportunist thief who will think it is too much trouble and go for something easier.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hmmmm yet another thing to add to my ever growing list for Rollo !
            I'm a bit out of touch with car theft deterrents since living here as we rarely get car thefts... where could they go.. 'round and 'round until they eventually got dizzy and fell off the end! However.. as there'll be contents inside Rollo, I'll ask the garage for a crook lock.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky View Post
              Hmmmm yet another thing to add to my ever growing list for Rollo !
              It gets very addictive! You have to curb yourself before you go bankrupt if possible.

Comment

So far, I've put on the list... reversing 'alarm'... possible extended wing mirrors ( followed by lots of question marks) crook lock, mini tv, Garmin sat nav, gas bottles, seat coverings, pop up tent,transfer dosh to cheque account, sterilising tablets for water system, book campsite for Aug B/H weekend, sleeping bag..RAC, and that's only today!
                It's a money pit!

Comment

So far, I've put on the list... reversing 'alarm'... possible extended wing mirrors ( followed by lots of question marks) crook lock, mini tv, Garmin sat nav, gas bottles, seat coverings, pop up tent,transfer dosh to cheque account, sterilising tablets for water system, book campsite for Aug B/H weekend, sleeping bag..RAC, and that's only today!
                  It's a money pit!
                  Its freedom from stress, from worry,from sadness, from work, from noise, from buildings, from grime,its birdsong, its churchbells,its butterflies, ponds and canals, rivers and seaside places with no crowds or neon lights,its peace,its long lazy days,its the gentle company of likeminded friends.
                  its priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                    Its freedom from stress, from worry,from sadness, from work, from noise, from buildings, from grime,its birdsong, its churchbells,its butterflies, ponds and canals, rivers and seaside places with no crowds or neon lights,its peace,its long lazy days,its the gentle company of likeminded friends.
                    its priceless.
                    You forgot the cake. It's an excuse to eat cake.
                    Graham
                    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Ohhhh Ian...Your post... so calming, even just reading it... * sigh*
                      Graham.. I don't need any excuse to eat cake!!

Comment

We have a Thatcham approved crook lock, it is a visible deterent but I recommend some weight lifting training to cope with it!

The old crook lock that we used for the Outlook does not fit the steering wheel of the Dimension so we now have yet another piece of non useable equipment for the car boot sale that never seems to happen!

Comment

It's a money pit!
                          OK Sparky.... calm down.

The only things on there that you actually 'need' rather than 'must get' are:

1. Gas bottle - check which one you already have before you get another, you need the right size.
                          2. RAC cover - the AA is cheaper and covers you yourself for breakdown in any vehicle you're in. Special offer for first year cover as well on-line - if they cover you for the CI.
                          3. Sterilizing tabs for water sys - yes.
                          4. Sleeping bag - all depends - see below.

For your first BH holiday weekend away, you could always take your duvet from your bed at home - similar with all things you need such as pans, cutlery, towels, plates and dishes. If you're going for a w/e in the channel Isles, you won't need a sat nav just yet.

Reversing alarm/extending mirrors... you wont need both, I bought a reversing camera, still in box... learned to reverse with extending mirrors. Quite a lot of ppl don't have anything at all, it all depends on how good you are at reversing!

I bought things as I went along... yes they can be a money pit (my caravan has turned into one!) but I keep telling myself I've only got to buy these things once. Bought so much absolutely necessary stuff this year that I can't afford many holidays... however, I don't have to buy anything for next year, and will recoup and save over the winter months.

Ian - that's nearly a poem! And a timely reminder (for me anyway) of why we do this in the first place! LOL!

Comment

For Sparky And JayJay

Down near the bottom
                            of the crossed-out list
                            of things you have to do today,

between "green thread"
                            and "broccoli" you find
                            that you have penciled "sunlight."

Resting on the page, the word
                            is as beautiful, it touches you
                            as if you had a friend

and sunlight were a present
                            he had sent you from some place distant
                            as this morning -- to cheer you up,

and to remind you that,
                            among your duties, pleasure
                            is a thing,

that also needs accomplishing
                            Do you remember?
                            that time and light are kinds

of love, and love
                            is no less practical
                            than a coffee grinder

or a safe spare tire?
                            Tomorrow you may be utterly
                            without a clue

but today you get a telegram,
                            from the heart in exile
                            proclaiming that the kingdom

still exists,
                            the king and queen alive,
                            still speaking to their children,

- to any one among them
                            who can find the time,
                            to sit out in the sun and listen.

Comment

Wow, Ian - that's deep stuff, but just made me

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X