X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for travelling with pooches?

Hello everyone
    I have a large hairy female German Shepherd who will be with me in my 2 berth dinky Rollahome. Do any of you pooch people have any tips or advice so that we can enjoy our trips without getting on each others nerves...
    I'm thinking along the lines of hairs, mud,heat, panting and lolling tongue/s causing condensation, the weight of giant bags of dry food etc etc
    Any advice gratefully received..

Originally posted by sparky View Post
    Hello everyone
    I have a large hairy female German Shepherd who will be with me in my 2 berth dinky Rollahome. Do any of you pooch people have any tips or advice so that we can enjoy our trips without getting on each others nerves...
    I'm thinking along the lines of hairs, mud,heat, panting and lolling tongue/s causing condensation, the weight of giant bags of dry food etc etc
    Any advice gratefully received..
    dogs dont usually mind human hairs and as long as you dont pant to loud he should sleep OK.I assume its the dry food that gives you the rumbles,try more water with it!
    Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Someone should contact the RSPCA for my cruelty!!

Comment

Travel with dog in a cage/crate -if you have a water proof cover for it so much the better as you then have portable dog proof acomodation when you set up camp, a chain and padlock will keep pooch safe from any admiring thieves. also acts as a travel safety aid if dog is in cage for journey and cage is anchored.

The other good thing about cage confinement is no damage can be done to awning /van etc when you go for a shower or to the shops as pooch is safely stowed I wouldn't go any place with out my dog cage.

My two travel in the upper birth in a cage they love the view but then Border terriers are a lot smaller than a GSD.
        Last edited by leftnoright; 05-08-2010, 17:15.

Comment

Seriously now.

I used to pack individual rations for the dog x how many days I was going away for, which saves on space/weight.

You can buy a roller thingy with sticky stuff on which picks up dog hairs, or just use the dog brush. Put a cotton cover where the dog is going to sleep, then bed on top, shake out both outside first thing every morning.

I used to put the table down in mine, sort of half a double bed, then I turned one of the back seats vertically in between us, so she had her space and I had mine, with a sort of divider. And she always sat and slept in the same place cos I trained her to do that, so the whole place didn't get covered in hair and dog slobber, just her own bit!.

Comment

I think it's a great idea but I honestly couldn't put this pooch into a cage.. she lived almost 24/7 in a cage for 3 years until I got her, her teeth are really worn where she tried to gnaw for release..
            Even if she would go in there, I don't think I could fit the correct size cage AND me in there, pooch maybe a female GSD, but she's huge ( czech stock ) and with having to travel fair distances from here to get anywhere, she'd be in it for long periods. She's very very biddable and placid so lies on the seat behind me in the car looking at the view through the windscreen, she'd be really unhappy in a cage.. but thanks for your suggestion

Comment

Great minds think alike 'cos I put on another thread about the half double idea.. she does tend to sprawl sideways full length so the divider is a great idea!
              I must get one of those roller thingys, I've seen them but never knew if they really worked... can you use a hand held hoover in the sockets on the floor that says 13amp... presuming I'm in a hook up place of course!
              I'm actually thinking of stripping the carpet out and seeing what's underneath.. if it's grotty under there, I can laminate or lino type the floor, it'll be much easier to clean that way.

Comment

I think it's a great idea but I honestly couldn't put this pooch into a cage.. she lived almost 24/7... She's very very biddable and placid so lies on the seat behind me in the car looking at the view through the windscreen...
                She'll be ok in the Roma bit too if she's a good traveller! I used to make up the top half of the double bed so mine had a bit more room to spread out and relax if on a long journey.

Comment

Great minds think alike 'cos I put on another thread about the half double idea..
                  I do the same with men.

Actually, I'm lying... I make 'em sleep outside in the awning, or even in their own tent. MMMWWWAHHaaHAAAAAA

Comment

Jayjay, I've come to the conclusion that you're awful!
                    But I like you!

Comment

Dog hairs in the

Hi Sparky

I have found that dog hairs get knotted into the carpet lining in the walls of the van and they are really difficult to vacuum off. I bought some rough rubber gardening gloves which just rub the hairs off with no effort.

Patricia

Comment

Originally posted by patriscott View Post
                        Hi Sparky

I have found that dog hairs get knotted into the carpet lining in the walls of the van and they are really difficult to vacuum off. I bought some rough rubber gardening gloves which just rub the hairs off with no effort.

Patricia
                        Rough rubber gardening gloves added to my list, thanks Patriscott Only trouble is... I've now got to go and check if I've got carpet lining on the walls 'cos I don't remember seeing any!

Comment

Best to make a separate pooch list I tend to measure out food for number of days into freezer bags. Add things like poo bags,chews, tether for tying out,collar,leads, coat. Buy a cheap duvet with cover and use that as a flexible dog bed for inside/out. \make sure you have a waterproof type sheet to put on ground in case it's damp.

I always have a basic doggy first aid kit.

I tend to fret more over having their stuff than my own
                          Last edited by BiscuitTin; 07-08-2010, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitTin View Post
                            Best to make a separate pooch list I tend to measure out food for number of days into freezer bags. Add things like poo bags,chews, tether for tying out,collar,leads, coat. Buy a cheap duvet with cover and use that as a flexible dog bed for inside/out. \make sure you have a waterproof type sheet to put on ground in case it's damp.

I always have a basic doggy first aid kit.

I tend to fret more over having their stuff than my own
                            While I'm over here and just going for weekends with pooch I'll have no worries... BUT, by the time I go UK or further afield next year for couple'a weeks at a time, I hope to have an easy to put up tent affair which will ( somehow) adjoin the back of Rollo so I can leave my door open at night, then she'll be free to come and go into it... she finds it too hot indoors.. this time of year she's always sleeps outside although she can open the door if she wants to come in 'cos it's not locked... she never does though, unless she fancies a midnight snack from the fridge!

Comment

Incidentally... say you're at your campsite and you want to go shower etc... or you have to leave your pooches for a short time... do you lock them up in the vans? I haven't figured that one out yet

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X