This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire pits

What is your experience of using a firepit at campsites? Are they welcome or frowned upon? I camped at a YMCA site recently and quite a few were being used, and lovely they looked too. The thought of sitting round a campfire is so appealing or be it in a pit.

I have always been attracted to fire pits, too. I like the idea of sitting around one, sharing a few drinks, stories and laughs. When wildcamping with the ladies from the Wildcamping forum, we had one and I admit it proved a lovely focal point.

But the fire pit or brazier would have to be WELL away from other campers, camping equipment, etc. and the fire would have to be kept well under control, with the usual precautions (fire blankets, buckets of water).

I would be VERY concerned about the fire risk, especially on sites where the spaces between pitches is minimal. The risk of sparks flying from a blazing fire pit (like the one we saw yesterday at the site we were staying on) is considerable. Tents are SO inflammable. Awnings, too, I guess. The fire pit we saw was a few yards from their van, and the flames were leaping nearly two feet high!
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I use a fold up bbq as my fire pit

AA0118.jpg

For added safety I stand the pit On a fire blanket, that way the grass is protected from any hot ash or sparks and if the fire did get out of hand I just fold the blanket over the top to smother it. That plus having a bucket of water on hand obviously.

I tend to burn the logs of compressed paper (available cheaply in the home discount type shops) rather than wood as they burn hotter and cleaner and produce much less ash and smoke meaning that my neighbours arent disturbed by it and they don't make your clothes stink of smoke either. They also light instantly so there's none of that messing about with matches and kindling For hours on end.
      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Thanks for info, does a fine mesh cover stop flying embers? Obviously wouldn't want to present any danger to others.

Comment