As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caravan/C&C club small sites.. which club???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caravan/C&C club small sites.. which club???

Hello Folks,
    Am thinking of joining one of the two main clubs and am most interested in the small Certificated Locations (or sites) located in the south of England, as we can get away usually for short 2/3 night bursts and prefer small sites. So who has the most sites in the south? Any impressions on actually being able to get on to either clubs CL sites? is one club friendlier to small motorhomes (and their users) than the other?? Despite research on both clubs websites, I can't glean much information as a non member to make a useful comparison.
    So all thoughts and advice most welcome...... and thanks

Andyvan

I'm not impressed with the caravan club, from all I've read about it, ppl are allowed to 'block book' without making deposits, leading to abuse of the system, no pitches anywhere, then loads of cancellations. However, I'm not a member, those are just the general complaints from ppl who are members!

The C&CC club charges a deposit for each booking, so no abuse and block bookings, leading to more availability. I like the sites and the wardens are friendly. Waiting to be 55 (did I really say that????) so I can get the discounts!! But I think they are really very reasonable rates anyway, and no extra charges for this and that.

I haven't tried many Cs and Cl sites, so can't say much about them.

Some ppl are members of both, but I find just the one is enough for me.

Comment

We are members of both but tend to use the C&CC for their large sites because of the problem that jayjay has highlighted i.e. they always seemed be booked up especially at weekends unless you book weeks in advance which we can't always do.

As for the small sites we have used Caravan Club CL's more, not sure why that is its just the way it has worked out, we have found some lovely CLs with lovely owners too but I am sure the C&CC CS's are just as nice.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

small campsites

I am a member of the caravan and camping club and would like to use the cerificated sites but find them too expensive. As I am a solo camper on a club site I only pay for myself and also have an over 55 concession. On CS or listed sites I pay for a pitch which is for two people which is often £10 or more pn often with minimal facilities same applies for THS and DA meets as far as I am aware. I think there are quite a few cs sites in the south west but you would need a Big Sites book to check them out.

Lizzie

PS. Apologies if this is rather off subject but would be interested to hear what other members think about this.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzie View Post
          I am a member of the caravan and camping club and would like to use the cerificated sites but find them too expensive. As I am a solo camper on a club site I only pay for myself and also have an over 55 concession. On CS or listed sites I pay for a pitch which is for two people which is often £10 or more pn often with minimal facilities same applies for THS and DA meets as far as I am aware. I think there are quite a few cs sites in the south west but you would need a Big Sites book to check them out.

Lizzie

PS. Apologies if this is rather off subject but would be interested to hear what other members think about this.

That's a good point you have raised Lizzie I had not thought about that not being a solo camper but I suppose looking at it from the CS owners viewpoint they can only have 5 units on site so if they charged less for solo campers their income would be less as you would still be using a space.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by lizzie View Post
            I am a member of the caravan and camping club and would like to use the cerificated sites but find them too expensive. As I am a solo camper on a club site I only pay for myself and also have an over 55 concession. On CS or listed sites I pay for a pitch which is for two people which is often £10 or more pn often with minimal facilities same applies for THS and DA meets as far as I am aware.
            Good point....got me thinking. I don't have the costs to hand, but I reckon since starting with the C&CC in March, I've paid between £10 - £15 per night at the official sites, and £10 - £12 at associated CSs.

On paper you get better value for money at the main sites, with more facilities, but your choice of locations is obviously then restricted, particularly in the colder months when most of the C&CC sites are shut. And if, like me, you prefer quieter sites then a CS is usually a better bet at this time of year!

I've heard other people complain about block booking issues at the CC, but have never been a member so cannot confirm.
            Neil

Comment

Many years ago when caravanning we belonged to both and the C&CC sites were more informal and friendly.

Now with the Romahome we just belong to the C&CC. They C&CC have loads of week-end rallies and summer holiday sites with just basic facilities or bring your own!! You mostly don't have to book and they are not expensive. They have special interest groups as well which makes for a great week-end. We recently went to a Folk Dance & Song meet near Fordingbridge and it was a very enjoyable weekend.

Comment

I'll have a look later to see if I have any old copies of the site directories, we are members of both clubs. If I find them, if you PM me your address I'll post them down to you - then you'll have a rough idea of where the CL/CS sites are etc. Obviously, some will have changed/closed etc.

I can't promise we'll still have the old books though, the clearout pre-baby has been a big one!!

I think the CC has started to try and address the problem with block booking, I understand that people used to be able to book several sites for the same week(end) and decide at the last minute which site they want to go to. Now, they won't let you book more than 1 site for the same dates. They do keep mentioning about the possibility in taking a deposit, as per the C&CC but it isn't in place yet. I agree that trying to get on a CC site can be hard work unless you book very early or wait till last minute for a cancellation. The CC website also has a 'late availabilty' section that will give you all the sites with pitches available for the next 3 weekends ( I think).
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

we were members of the C&CC many years ago when canvas camping. We re-enrolled when we got our romahome. We like the C&CC club for the way it is managed re: bookings etc but have also used the 'best of british'' and picked some certified sites out of the C&CC site book. As for friendliness,well, that depends on how friendly your neighbours are, my husband has bid a good morning to some and got nothing back. (which is impolite!!) It is swings and roundabouts wherever you go!
                  Jessie

Comment

For many years we belonged to both but have now cancelled our membership of Caravan Club. This is because we have joined one of the C & CC special interest sections and we camp with them a lot of the time on non facility sites. We also join in other section meets and the Temporary holiday sites. We also prefer small sites and there are enough around with CCC to make an overnight or longer stay easy.

Using non facillity sites widens the choice considerably and the fees are never more than about £6 per night.

We tend to avoid the club sites but would use them an overnight mid week for a top up of showering and electric if we were away for long period.

We have pitched up at several DA meets and have chatted to people from all over the country and found a warm welcome wherever we have gone but have managed to pitch with enough space to be alone and not overlooked at all even on Bank holidays.

Comment

Thanks!

Hi All,
                      Thanks for your thoughts so far (and Glen, nice offer have PM'd you) It's great to call on such a lot of experience, generously shared, good round here init! I hadn't thought of the THS's but they could be of interest too, any more nuggets... Keep 'em coming.
                      All the best
                      Andyvan

Comment

I have only once stayed on a Temporary Holiday Site. Near Sheringham. It was a School playing field with no facilities other than water and toilet disposal. Nevertheless it was very pleasant and I was made very welcome.
                        As I like to decide where I am going first, I find that THS's rarely crop up in the right place at the right time. However I always check up on them first - just in case.
                        Jim.
                        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

We went to our first DA meet with the C&CC last weekend at Bristol for the Balloon Fiesta and we were most impressed it was just a field with a tap and chemical toilet disposal and it cost us £35 for 4 nights camping.

The rally organisers were very friendly and knowledgeable about the local area but we were left alone to do our own thing, which we liked.
                          Graham

Comment

Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
                            Good point....got me thinking. I don't have the costs to hand, but I reckon since starting with the C&CC in March, I've paid between £10 - £15 per night at the official sites, and £10 - £12 at associated CSs.

On paper you get better value for money at the main sites, with more facilities, but your choice of locations is obviously then restricted, particularly in the colder months when most of the C&CC sites are shut. And if, like me, you prefer quieter sites then a CS is usually a better bet at this time of year!

I've heard other people complain about block booking issues at the CC, but have never been a member so cannot confirm.
                            Just to say Tavistock site is open camped up there in the snow it was great fun and the bus stops out side for Prince town and tavistock bus station.

Comment

Originally posted by zoe1zoe2 View Post
                              Just to say Tavistock site is open camped up there in the snow it was great fun and the bus stops out side for Prince town and tavistock bus station.
                              Forgot to say it is a c&cc site and only cost £8.80p all in taht is with the age concession luky me

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X