This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping on a budget - Northumberland

I have been meaning to post this for a while but have been a bit pre-occupied with personal matters.

Anyway we recently came back from a 10 day trip to Northumberland and we didn't spend more than £9 a night.

Alnwick Rugby Club Temporary Holiday Site

We stayed here for three nights at a cost of £7.50 a night which was amazing value considering we had use of the Rugby Club showers and toilets. It was within walking distance of the lovely town of Alnwick and the castle made famous by the Harry Potter books. Being on a budget we didn't pay to go in the Castle or gardens because it was quite expensive but we did walk around part of the grounds including going over a wibbly wobbly bridge to an amazing tree house with shops and restaurant etc. I will post photo's in the photo section later.

There was also a leisure centre across the road from the campsite where an over 60 can swim for a very reasonable price of £3.80 if my memory serves me well. There were plenty of pubs and eating establishments in Alnwick and our visit also coincided with an International Music/Dancing Festival and there were some interesting free shows in the market place. We would have stayed here longer had the THS not ended.

See our video here http://youtu.be/rbzj-HCdsxc?list=UU-...HEO1L6FaU2d8Wg

Beal Temporary Holiday Site

We were a little disappointed with this site, it was advertised as The Barn at Beal but it was actually about half a mile from it. The grass was longa and the pitches weren't marked consequently we had another motorhome camp right next to us in spite of the fact that it was a huge field, the site exposed to the strong winds so as there was a storm forecast to be approaching we decided to go to a more sheltered site, I'm not sure we'd have got off the really wet long grass up a slope. The site cost us £8 a night, had it been a little better weather it would have been ideal for visiting Holy Island which was just down the road or a footpath from the site.

East Allerdean, Nr. Berwick C&CC Certificated Site

This was our next stop and we thought this site was lovely. We pulled into the site and were immediately greeted by the owner who was having a private party for a 50th birthday in the next field, she apologised and started to tell us about near by sites but we said we didn't mind staying as the party didn't look as if it was going to get too rowdy. She even invited us to join them if we wanted but we declined and found a nice pitch on the well kept lawn like field, it was a very quiet site on a non busy B road and had some lovely views of the Chilterns. There was a public house within walking distance although we didn't go in so I can't comment on the fayre available.

It was close to Berwick on Tweed which was quite a pleasant town with plenty of eating and drinking establishments to choose, from here we drove down to Holy Island which was around a 20 minute drive, you can drive on to the island at certain times tide permitting.

The cost for this site was £8 per night and we stayed 3 nights. See our video here http://youtu.be/ipr4r8OLX4A

Seaburn Temporary Holiday Site

We thought we would try this site although we have never been to this area before. We were pleasantly surprised it was a lovely little seaside town in the suburbs of Sunderland, the site was just across from the beach and it looks as if the resort has undergone recent regeneration and was quite smart, there was a lovely seafront promenade fronting a delightfully sandy beach (dog lovers would be pleased to know that certain parts of the beach were accessible to dogs). The beach itself was gently sloping with lovely sand and ideal for bathing with lifeguards on duty at intervals along the beach. There was a very nice hotel just down the road from the campsite with a nice restaurant, free wifi and a decent pint of ale to be had in the bar.

Sunderland was in walking distance down the river (if you are fit), we had a walk into Sunderland city centre itself but it was pretty much the same as any other city centre with the same shops etc., and if I am honest a little grubby in places (apologies to anyone from Sunderland, just my opinion). Along the way we stopped for lunch at the National Glass Centre which was free to enter and had a pretty decent coffee shop/cafe with waitress service. There were demonstrations on glass blowing and a whole variety of different glassware to buy.

The Seaburn site was the most expensive one of our holiday and cost £9 per night but was well worth it because of the pleasant location and we stayed for 3 nights before coming home.

So there you have it, our holiday for £9 a night or less on safe sites, you see you can holiday on a budget, we only ate out once treating ourselves to fish and chips in Alnwick, apart from that we bought local produce and cooked meals in our van. See our cooking videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bL84jAFZRNYszw
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Originally posted by Graham;105424 it was a very quiet site on a non busy B road and had some lovely views of the Chilterns. [URL
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLudOYr9n1_QX-MaKfOAbL84jAFZRNYszw[/URL]
    You must have good eyesight, Graham! I think the Cheviots are a bit closer!

Comment

Is the tree house cafe now free? When we went it was part of the Garden experience. I HATED that wibbly wobbly bridge especially when a lad of about 9 began to bounce the other end; the more I shrieked, the more he bounced

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
        You must have good eyesight, Graham! I think the Cheviots are a bit closer!

Ha ha, I knew it began with "ch" old age catching up. Thanks for correcting me Wendy.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Insect View Post
          Is the tree house cafe now free? When we went it was part of the Garden experience. I HATED that wibbly wobbly bridge especially when a lad of about 9 began to bounce the other end; the more I shrieked, the more he bounced

We we didn't pay anything so it must be free. I didn't like the bridge it made me feel ill.
          Attached Files
          Graham

Comment

Sounds like you had a lovely time. Like the rope bridge. By the way I walk in the Chilterns most weeks but have never yet caught sight of Berwick, I will keep looking.
            These temporary holiday sites and CLs etc are very good value and very friendly too.

Comment