This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck in the mud

We got stuck in the mud at Polstead and felt awful with the mess we left on the grass. On some sites we have stayed on we have been offered mats to assist, with a small deposit and tiny fee. These were very heavy duty mats, that would not be suitable to store in a van.

We have now ordered some standard type mats for ourselves for use on small sites if necessary, but have been told that they are not always as successful as the heavier ones.

Our wheels spun a little making muddy furrows in the grass but I don't think it could have been avoided, so I wouldn't worry, you can't help the weather.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

And I also churned up the gravel as well, as I tried to pull off towing the caravan with the car handbrake on! Doh

Gravel is nearly as hard to drive on as mud is, I've discovered!

I think that particular field would benefit from some extra drainage of some sort as its base is sticky clay.

When I had the demountable romahome, I bought some cheap doormats from wilkos at approx £1 each. These went under my feet in the cab, but I used them once with good effect once when I got stuck, underneath the front wheels.
      Last edited by jayjay; 04-10-2010, 10:00.

Comment

Think everyone had either muddy furrows or puddles by their van's , I wouldn't wory Flo as they are probably used to it.

And what type of mats jayjay? normal carpet ones or the rubber ones? I wll have to go for a trip to Wilko's although I was lucky and managed to move off the grass fine this weekend , thankfully
        I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
        http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

These are the grip mats I have ordered. Had good reviews but who knows?

http://www.milenco.com/grip_mat.html

Comment

Originally posted by Minimouse View Post
            Think everyone had either muddy furrows or puddles by their van's , I wouldn't wory Flo as they are probably used to it.

And what type of mats jayjay? normal carpet ones or the rubber ones? I wll have to go for a trip to Wilko's although I was lucky and managed to move off the grass fine this weekend , thankfully
            HI MM!! Glad you got out ok, and thanks to your partner for his help when I was getting ready to go.

I think they were these ones, rubber and cheap - but they worked! Plus an added extra - the smell of rubber for a few months in the cab!!
            http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Floor-M...uZTvOMTQ%3D%3D

Comment

Just phoned the supplier about progress on my mats and he told me they were flying off the shelves, they are based in Wales and sent out 7 orders for sets just yesterday. He added they have been selling well and are really good and should be fine for any amount of mud unless it is axle deep.

Hope I get them by next trip but not hopeful as they take 3-4 days.

Comment

on another forum they discussed using bread trays but with the sides cut off.

Comment

Easier option for me and much simpler to get the real things off internet than try and get hold of bread trays, then cut them down and then hope they work and then find space to store them in the small van!

I am all for recycling though so good idea for those who have bread trays.

Comment

My Milenco mats have just arrived and they look good and will fit under the floor, only the best for my van!!!!

Had a nice chat to the young lad in the on line store, he recommends The Brecon area in Wales for a rally and said any mud will no longer be a problem for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                      We got stuck in the mud at Polstead and felt awful with the mess we left on the grass. On some sites we have stayed on we have been offered mats to assist, with a small deposit and tiny fee. These were very heavy duty mats, that would not be suitable to store in a van.

We have now ordered some standard type mats for ourselves for use on small sites if necessary, but have been told that they are not always as successful as the heavier ones.
                      If it's any consolation, even with grip mats I managed to tear up the grass a bit. Once the ground is as wet as it was last weekend, you'd need a mat that extended all the way to the gravel. It was so bad I could feel the mats shifting as soon as I applied the accelerator.
                      Attached Files
                      Neil

Comment

Glad it was not just me. I thought it was my bad driving that had done it. I gather now that it is best to be in 2nd gear to move off ver very slowly in mud or ice as it creates less wheel spin. Is that correct?

Comment

Glad it was not just me. I thought it was my bad driving that had done it. I gather now that it is best to be in 2nd gear to move off ver very slowly in mud or ice as it creates less wheel spin. Is that correct?
                          VERY correct! A wheel which is not slipping has static friction between itself and the ground. When a wheel starts to slip it only has sliding friction, which is many times less than static friction. Which becomes very clear when you lose static friction (grip) on ice.
                          In a higher gear the rotating force of the wheel (torque) is much easier to control.
                          It seems that this highlights another advantage on soft ground with a caravan! I always carry a long piece of rope. I have several times dragged my caravan off boggy ground by tying the rope between car and 'van so the car could pull from a better surface.
                          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

stuck in the mud

The best method of getting going when stuck in the mud is to use thick rubber tracks with holes in them. Rubber on rubber makes for a good grip and the holes make the tracks stick to the ground.

Comment

Dont fret about chewing up the grass at Polstead,that was a very wet site,I asked not to be put on the pitch the warden chose as it was a big mud puddle and I warned him that his grass would get damaged,he chose to ignore my request and I got very stuck and needed help and made two very big trenches.Many C&CC sites have a plastic grid that the grass grows through and is a good alternative to hard core hard standings and allows you to get on and off in all weathers,Polstead had nothing like this that I saw.
                              Not your fault.
                              Ian
                              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X