This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beachside sites

Now that I've fixed my lights (you can bore yourself to death with my other thread if you've nothing else to do on Sat night!!) I have such itchy feet to get moving again. I had a lovely couple of days at Aberafon, right on the beach watching cormorants and wonder if anyone else knows of other beachside sites? Max 4 hrs drive from North Staffs/North Derbys area.

I've tried the ukcampsites web site but there doesn't seem to be much showing, some that are near beach, but not near enough. At Aberafon I was able to wander down to the beach, early morning brew in hand and in my dressing gown, and sit on a rock enjoying the morning waking up - surely that isn't the only place where I can do that?

Any ideas please?

Jan

Beachside sites

Hi Jan. We are also always on the look out for beach sites.

We have stayed on Lligwy beach in Anglesey for £10 per night, you pay at the shop and get a key for the toilet block and water. A bit basic, but fantastic being next to the beach. Dogs allowed on the beach all year round, good for kite flying, lovely coastal path.

We also stayed at a fantastic site for £10 per night in Penmaenmawr, North Wales overlooking the sea and quite close to walk down the hill to the beach. Toilet and shower block. Fantastic views and walks.

If you are in the camping and caravan club there is a CL inland a bit at Llandudno. You can see the sea from the site and there is a nice walk down to the beach through fields.

We stayed at a site at Sand Bay near Weston Super Mare this year which was also very nice and close to the beach. You can see Wales over the water from there.

Patricia

Comment

Hello Jan,
      One of our favourite sights is Morfa Mawr in Aberdaron. It's a basic site on a field above the beach. You can walk along the beach into the village and weather permitting, there are great sunsets and sunrises. It's not on UK campsites, so remains less known. We stayed there for a week at the end of August for £10 a night. It works its charm on us every time.
      Aileen

Comment

Thanks both, I sat up in bed till quite late researching this and have come up with a few. I found the one in Aberdaron on Cool Campsites, I've got that on my shortlist so I'm sorry to inform you that you may see me there!!! Also the one at Lligwy sounds fab - though expensive like so many are.

I'm going to enjoy trying these out. I only wish more were open over winter though.

Thanks kind people, off to work now to get some money to pay for these trips.

Jan

Comment

It maybe a little far for you but the Caravan Club site at Freshwater East in Pembrokeshire is at the end of the beach car park. It is a lovely beach and there are lots of other good beaches in the area. There is a bus service called the coastal cruiser which stops outside the site and at all of the beaches in the area.

The beaches are very unspoilt, the only facilities being toilets, no cafes amusements etc unless you venture into Tenby.

Also, if you have a dog, most of the beaches are dog friendly.

Just make sure that you leave a space for me next June!

Theresa

Comment

Hello,
            Mynydd Mawr is named in Cool Camping, but not Morfa Mawr. Both are in great spots, but Mynydd Mawr is a bit further out of the village and not quite so near to the coast. It does have absolutely fantastic views over Bardsey though. The whole Aberdaron area is great, very picturesque and great for walking.
            Aileen

Comment

Aberdaron

Here's Aberdaron. Morfa Mawr is on the field above the sandy cliff and beach extending beyond the village.
              Aileen.
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh Lordy Lordy. I wish I'd never asked now, all these places sound so wonderful, I just want to be off exploring again in the morning. Sadly I need to go to work to earn the dosh to pay for the petrol.

Wish I was retired but it aint never going to happen

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful ideas, roll on the next weekend off work.

J

Comment

Lligwy beach

We stayed at Lligwy beach in Anglesey - basically it is a carpark that does allow overnight parking. The toilets are probably best used only in an absolute emergency, and I think there is a water tap. However, it is right next to a really beautiful beach, the views are stunning, and it is very peaceful. Dogs are allowed on the beach, which is wonderful, I really hate all the 'No Dogs Allowed' beaches!

It is on the coastal path with miles of walks in either direction. We will be returning there asap.
                  Mary

Comment

This was taken at Lligwy in September.
                    Link

(Not sure if the link will work!)
                    Mary

Comment

Hi Mary - that looks fabulous and definitely on my list to try next year. It's great that they allow overnighters when there's apparently a 'proper' site very near. Do many people stay overnight?

As a (usually) lone female camper I've so far wimped out of completely wild camping, but I will do it, I will, I will, I will!!! This sounds like a half way step between site and wild camping.

See you there - if not before!!

Jan

Comment

Wild camping is just as scary for couples! There is something about the safety of a 'proper' site! However, the location of this one seems to make it worthwhile. Prehaps we can time it so we turn up on the same weekend next year. Its the sort of place you can go to on the spur of the moment.

There were two other vans there when we visited - it is a very tucked away location, down narrow lanes with no passing traffic.
                        Mary

Comment