This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a day out!

Trawling the internet the other day I decided to update myself on the Welsh Highland Railway. I got quite excited. The project is now completed and next year it will be possible to travel on the steam narrow gauge railway from Caernarfon to Portmadoc and then continue to Blaenau Ffestiniog on the Ffestiniog Railway from the same Portmadoc station. And back of course.
    What a day out - for me anyway because I love little railways and the Snowdonia scenery these run through is fantastic.
    Who can advise a good campsite close to Caernarfon Castle where it all begins?
    Jim.
    P.S. Or how about a "party"?
    Last edited by Twolitre; 28-10-2010, 16:52. Reason: Small addition.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Party? Did I hear someone mention a party?

I'd be up for that!!

Comment

Me too - but it would have to be next year - I've just covered up the Chicken Shed for the winter!

Comment

count me in for next year,I love steam rail. Might be better to look for a campsite at the south end of the railway.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
          count me in for next year,I love steam rail. Might be better to look for a campsite at the south end of the railway.
          Sounds like we might have something going here.
          Perhaps Port Madoc might be an idea. Then do as two seperate trips. But then a quieter start might be inland at Blaenau Festiniog. Doing the trips in reverse.
          Jim.

Comment

according to my brand new C&CC sites book there is a site at porthmadog.
            number 124172,18 acres,153 pitches takes everything,called Tyddn Llwyn caravan park.
            Any one know this one? it looks good.Close to town,has a bar,EHU,the lot.

Comment

I was in Porthmadog (to spell it your way - I suppose it's probably more politically correct these days) only last week.
              We were cruising around on the bikes trying to find B&B. There are not many of those there. It did not help when one place that had vacancies would not let us in because we were bikers! Anyway, back to the point. I did not see a single caravan site. There used to be to be two or three rather nice ones nearby next to Black Rock Sands though. Two names were Garreg Goch and Garreg Wenn I believe. Though it was many years ago.
              By the way, the last bit of the WHR travels along the middle of the road on the final approach to Porthmadog Station and all the traffic has to stop! It's quite a sight. There are video clips of trial runs on the web sites of both railways. And lots more.
              Jim.
              Last edited by Twolitre; 28-10-2010, 23:41.

Comment

There's a small campsite with a Brew-pub just a few miles our of Caernarfon at Waunfawr. The rail-track splits the site and the station is right next door. We stayed there years ago and it was fine, although it does have mixed reviews on **********.co.uk. We've also stayed at a very basic site at Black Rock in Porthmadog. I can't remember the name, but think it was from the C &CC Big Book,which is in my van, so will check later.
                It might also be worth considering Harlech as a base, which is not too far from Porthmadog (over a very scenic toll bridge that costs about 40p) and there are a few sites there, and the castle and beach too.
                Aileen

Comment

I'm a Member of the C&CC too, but not everyone is.
                  If this turns out to be a popular idea some Forum Subscribers who are interested might be excluded if a C&CC Site (or a CC Site) is favoured/chosen.
                  Just a thought.
                  Jim.

Comment

Most of the ppl who go to the meets are members of the C&CC, 2L, as the meets tend to be nearly always on C&CC sites. And you know what to expect with them as well!

I'd like to get my money's worth out of my C&CC membership next year if poss - I'm on a mission!

Not sure if this is the one: it doesn't say it's C&CC, unless they've just taken over....

http://www.tyddynllwyn.com/
                    Last edited by jayjay; 29-10-2010, 10:00.

Comment

You got it Jackie!
                      thats the one,its in the big site book,its not a C&CC club site so non members can go too!
                      Its a private site like the one on the Isle Of Wight.
                      Its not exactly basic but Im at the stage now where basic wont do! I want good loos,showers,washup places,EHU,hardstanding not mud.A bar is always nice,a chippy is good too! The site is close to town,handy for railway station for the little railways,etc etc etc.
                      I am not pumping this site,if anyone thinks its a stinker let us know or if they have been there ,let us know.
                      Otherwise,has anyone another suggestion?

Comment

Bit expensive though, Ian!

Mind you, we might get a discount if we calls it a Rally!

Ah - just come across this on their web site:

WE DON'T ALLOW THE FOLLOWING:

COMMERCIAL VANS

SINGLE SEX GROUPS

GROUP BOOKINGS

('groups' found to be booking individually may be refused admission - it has been known!)
                        Last edited by jayjay; 29-10-2010, 10:42.

Comment

I think its a bit expensive too jayjay.
                          I just rang them. They do not accept group bookings though bookings could be made individually, scattered around the Site.
                          £21 per night for (up to) two people.
                          £5.50 per night each extra adult.
                          3.50 per night each child.
                          That was "mid season" (I enquired about May tentatively). More if school holidays. I never asked about awnings or age concessions!
                          Group bookings are an emphatic "NO". They did accept that units could book and arrive individually and were NOT a group.
                          Jim.
                          Last edited by Twolitre; 29-10-2010, 11:02.

Comment

Just came across this while browsing.
                            A really beautiful mouth-watering video of the railways and Wales. Scroll down the pge to find the video.

http://www.welshhighlandrailway.net/...icle&artid=354

Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                              Bit expensive though, Ian!

Mind you, we might get a discount if we calls it a Rally!

Ah - just come across this on their web site:

WE DON'T ALLOW THE FOLLOWING:

COMMERCIAL VANS

SINGLE SEX GROUPS

GROUP BOOKINGS

('groups' found to be booking individually may be refused admission - it has been known!)
                              That blocks me out - I am definately single sex.
                              Strewth they are expensive - OK keep looking, must be somewhere cheap in Wales,howabout if we bring our own sheep?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X