This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quechua base seconds quandry!

Just been reading on another site that someone with a small motorhome and a Q. Base tent was refused permission to pitch the tent as it's a tent, not an attached awning, and as such must be pitched 5 mtrs away to observe the fire regs. An attached awning is ok apparently.

This was at the forestry commission site at Loch Lomond. The jobsworthy there said it counted as a separate unit due to it not being attached to their van, or an official drive-away type awning. The jobsworthy also said that this would be the case on all sites next year.

Now I know a lot of ppl have Q. tents and similar as awnings here, so perhaps it would be worthwhile finding out if the regs are really going to change in this direction.

Either that, or make a hood, flap or short tunnel to attach (stick on velcro comes to mind) so that it looks like a drive away?

We had the same problem at a site in Lytham St Annes earlier this year. We were only borrowing the Quechua to try it out. We were not able to put it up because it was a separate tent and not an awning.

Patricia

Comment

We never had a problem when we had the romahome, we just put on the booking that we had a pup tent and were never refused. This was a couple of years ago though.

The C&CC website says,

d) Whenever possible the Club endeavours to provide 11m x 11m pitches on its sites, to accommodate all unit types plus some ancillary equipment (such as awnings, pup tents and toilet tents). However, this is not always physically possible and it is a requirement that the unit (along with any ancillary equipment) fits within the confines of the pitch while maintaining the 6m rule with adjoining pitches. If this cannot be achieved, Holiday Site Managers may offer one of the following alternatives:
      i) An additional pitch, subject to availability and an additional fee.
      ii) Advise that ancillary equipment cannot be accommodated.
      iii) Suggest an alternative site in the area that may be able to accommodate them

and searching the caravan club site it says,

Pup Tent -
      A small dome or ridge tent that may be erected next to the caravan, to be used as sleeping accommodation for children only.

The search also pulls up a few sites that say, no pup tents or charge a supplement for them but no mention of them not being allowed by the club in general!

I think I'd just not mention it on arrival, put it up and wait for the warden to say something if they weren't happy!!

Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

We have put up a small two man tent in the same pitch as our van several times on C&CC campsites for our son and his wife.

We were told that as long as there were no cooking facilities in the tent then it would not be classed as a fire risk. Depends on the site managers I suppose.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I've got a quechua base tent and been able to use it with my R30 on both caravan club and camping and caravan club sites this year.

I think the "jobsworth" was probably just being awkward. We met one at the C&CC site at Devizes several years ago but enough complaints about his attitude means that he is no longer employed by them...... perhaps he's now at Loch Lomond!!!!

Comment

In my experience,the wardens on C&CC sites or CC sites are usually very good,they have never objected to me putting up tents for my kids in days gone by,BUT,Forestry Sites were often run by local councils on behalf of the Forestry Commision, and they seem to have been a dumping ground for Idle, stupid,rude,Jobsworths of the worst kind.
            When the C&CC took the sites over they got the staff under the TUPE rules.
            It will be years before the last of them clear off,in the meantime you can usually find a nice accomodating CS or CL in the vicinity,and they are usually cheaper.
            The forestry sites were notorius for being poorly run,overfull of white van man and his ilk and damn great dogs running amok.and the facilities were nowhere near adequate,which is presumably why it is costing C&CC £20Million to bring them up to scratch.
            Last edited by Ian.C.S; 11-11-2010, 10:25.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
              The forestry sites were notorius for being poorly run,overfull of white van man and his ilk and damn great dogs running amok.
              Oy! I've got a white van called a Dimension.

Mind you I haven't got any damn great dogs or little dogs for that matter, just a ginger cat, does that count.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                Oy! I've got a white van called a Dimension.

Mind you I haven't got any damn great dogs or little dogs for that matter, just a ginger cat, does that count.
                No chum you are not the problem and I like dogs,BUT,my wife and I were pinned inside our van when a gang of WV yobs let their staffies have a fight in the middle of a family site in the New Forest.The warden said "So! they can excersize their dogs if they want! they dont have to have leads.If you dont like it go somewhere else!"
                We did - and never returned.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                  No chum you are not the problem and I like dogs,BUT,my wife and I were pinned inside our van when a gang of WV yobs let their staffies have a fight in the middle of a family site in the New Forest.The warden said "So! they can excersize their dogs if they want! they dont have to have leads.If you dont like it go somewhere else!"
                  We did - and never returned.
                  That is awful, what a way to speak to a paying customer, I hope you reported him to head office.

That's why we like C&CC and Caravan Club sites, dogs must be on a lead and most site managers/wardens are very keen to enforce the rule. Generally most dog owning campers obey the rules too and in our experience there is always someone around to remind those that "forget".
                  Graham

Comment

Only got my Quecha in September but I've used it on a number of sites without question, inc. C & C C at Cannock Chase. One commercial site did charge me - for an awning.

When it's pitched up close to the side of my van it looks like a driveaway awning - and it is!

Years ago I had a "proper" driveaway awning - it was so much hassle getting the van lined up again if I went off site I never bothered re-attaching it anyway.

Can't see any difference.

Comment