X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does your dog sleep?

Hello,
    Despite having had vans for 5 years now, we've never taken our lovely lurcher, George, with us. I had in built house sitters (and party throwers) with my children, but now we have an empty nest. Our cat is fairly easy to sort out with neighbours, but we want to take George with us. He's quite an old man now and has heart tablets, so kennels would be too stressful for him.
    My question is, where does your dog sleep? I would cheerfully have him on my feet, but my husband is very anti 'dogs on your bed'. I've thought about putting his bed across the cab seats, but thought I'd ask how others manage.
    Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.
    A x

Always used to take my lurcher, Merlyn with me.

In the Romahome demountable she had her own bed as it was just me and her, so we had a single each! And she stayed there during the day as well, much better to have them up on a bed (lurchers are couch potatoes!) than under your feet in a small space.

The last journey we went on together was in Spring. I had changed to a little caravan and there was just enough room for her to snuggle down between the two beds in there - as a friend came with me, my friend had the other bed and the dog got the floor.

However, she was perfectly happy with the arrangement! Happy days... still miss her.

If the Roma had been a C15 or similar, with a cab integral to the 'van, I would have put her there. I've seen several dogs sleep quite happily in the cab with a few bits of sponge/foam to bridge the gap in between the seats.

Other than that, the double beds make up quite huge, plenty of room for the dog - plus you get an extra foot warmer at night!

Comment

Hi Aileen,

My two monsters are toy poodles and I wouldn't go on holiday without them. They are also foot warmers at night. I'm sure your lurcher will curl up anywhere you put him and be very happy.

What about a "pup" tent for your husband while you and the dog are comfy inside!!!!!

Comment

We have had a number of vans and usually two dogs at a time, and they have all slept on the floor. Some at the back, some in the passenger footwell, some moving positions every night, (and sometimes in the night). I'm sure your dog will soon sort out a favourite spot, and they all just love to come with you once they have been camping that first time.
        Colin

Comment

Hi

I have one of those soft crates that my Miniture Schauzer 'Jimmy' always travels in (in the hylo) when we arrive I put the passenger seat down and his crate goes there and he always sleeps in that at night.

Comment

I think the folding crates are wonderful! Our Scottish Terrier hated travel until we got her one of the soft canvas crates, now she is absolutely fine. We put it on the seat secured with the seat belt while travelling.

At night its a different story.......I tried her at the end of my bed, but she wriggled and wriggled, and demanded more and more space - basically she wanted to sleep where I was!

So, it was on the floor between the two single beds next. Being a bit of a princess and the pea type person, I have masses of bedding and my duvet kept slipping off and waking her up....she got very, very cross with me! An angry, sleep deprived Scottie is not a pretty sight!

I redesigned the bedding with memory foam, and built in duvets, bought her a new RSPCA special fleece lined bed and we are all happy and sleep like logs....that is until we get up it the night to visit the bathroom and tread on her :-(
            Mary

Comment

Jazz likes it best on my bed.

But when I want to go to bed I kick him off on to his own bed which is a big "dog cushion" on the floor in the passenger footwell.

As soon as I get up he gets straight back on to my bed again.

Sometimes when it is cold he climbs on me in the middle of the night. I think I need to insulate where his bed is as the cold comes through from the engine compartment, but not sure what to use - anything too thick would make the space too small for him to stretch out. He's a tall collie cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                Jazz likes it best on my bed.

But when I want to go to bed I kick him off on to his own bed which is a big "dog cushion" on the floor in the passenger footwell.

As soon as I get up he gets straight back on to my bed again.

Sometimes when it is cold he climbs on me in the middle of the night. I think I need to insulate where his bed is as the cold comes through from the engine compartment, but not sure what to use - anything too thick would make the space too small for him to stretch out. He's a tall collie cross.
                Have you only got the one bed in your camper, Caz? If not I'd suggest putting his dog cushion on the other bed beside yours and letting him sleep there.

Other than that, how about putting a bit of memory foam underneath his bed in the footwell? And maybe cover him with a blanket?

Comment

Frisky does have two beds - but when the passenger side one is made up I can't use the side door. The back doors can't be opened from outside - so if I go out that way I lock myself out.

It's a bit of a PIA when my son comes with me 'cos he has to sleep that side (taller than me, the steering wheel gets in his way) and trying to wake a teenager up to let me back in after I'd taken the dog out for a walk on a very cold and frosty morning last December was no fun!

I need to get the back doors repaired and a new lock on as soon as funds permit - then I can use them, keep the passenger bed made up, and pretend it's a Romahome.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                    It's a bit of a PIA when my son comes with me 'cos he has to sleep that side (taller than me, the steering wheel gets in his way) and trying to wake a teenager up to let me back in after I'd taken the dog out for a walk on a very cold and frosty morning last December was no fun!
                    I can just imagine that! LOL. Good luck with getting the door locks repaired, Caz.

Comment

My dog sleeps where she likes, usually at the end of my sleeping bag with her head stuck out (I don't like to be completely zipped up). Other times, she takes up all the bed, forcing me to be squashed against the cold wall ... Grrr!

Comment

Our pip

She is part of the family... she gets lots of cuddles whenever she wants.. which is quite a lot, she get big cuddles before we go to sleep, as she snuggles up to us on our bed...then she gets down on her own, next to the bed.

Camping well that something else... but we draw the line at muddy sleeping bags..lol after all its her break as well..

Comment

Jimmy, our 12 years old Shihtzu, sleeps during the day on the floor, in his bed we take with us, but on some occasions, and at night at the feet of Mrs Zap. He is good as gold, usually .
                          Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

Where does my dog sleep? On it's side, usually the left

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by alive23512 View Post
                              Where does my dog sleep? On it's side, usually the left

Anon
                              That made me chuckle.
                              Graham
                              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X