This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we be charged for an awning?

Is it morrally right that we can be charged for an awning on a site? Is it likely we may be charged for putting chairs outside our campervans or taking a bicycle.

I haven't been to may campsites with my Romahome but I wonder if we're being rip-off in some way.

Opinions welcome!

That's an interesting question - and one that I feel could well be true - in certain circumstances.

We are not members of either of THE camping clubs - and therefore have had to pay a premium at Club meets we have attended - not moaning, as it was our decision the we didn't want to join - as we hardly ever would use that Clubs sites.

I remember an early meet at Devizes - infact I remember it well, as I was talked into a looong walk (seemed like 25 miles to me) to the Cain Locks - but luckily managed to get a taxi back!!

Anyway - the Club site had hardstandings in the centre of the pitches, which for the Bongo AND awning meant parking the Bongo on the edge of the tarmac so the awning could be staked down onto the grass. Of course, this meant we were right over to the boundry of our pitch. At that time, the next pitch was empty, so no probs.

However, then turns up another member in their camper van in the next pitch, who naturally, and rightly, parked on their hardstanding, as they didn't have an awning.

This then meant that there was no longer the "required" distance between our 2 units - and the Warden actually searched me out, and threatened that I "may" have to take my awning down again. As you can imagine I was not best pleased at this news - and told him so!! Anyway, we got to keep our awning erected - despite the best efforts of a storm the next day that it seemed was trying to blow it down!!

This really cemented our resolve NOT to join either of the Camping Clubs - and to actively avoid in future any sites with hardstandings.

I can quite understand those that would say they prefer a hardstanding - if it's muddy, it can save - to a certain extent - bringing the mud into your van, but it does make life difficult if you do need to errect an awning - brilliant though the Bongo is - it's only an MPV - and we only use it to actually sleep in - the rest of the time we spend in the awning.

Mike

Comment

As far as I know neither club charges for awnings although I know some commercial sites and CL's do.

Mike - I think you were unfortunate that particular day because of a site manager who was a bit of a "jobsworth". Had your unit been on grass it wouldn't have been a problem as they would have paced out the next unit the required distance from yours.

It's a shame you have decided not to use the club sites because of one bad experience, there are some great sites in lovely locations that you are missing out on. Lots of them have some great walks from their sites too, I know how you love your walking.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        As far as I know neither club charges for awnings although I know some commercial sites and CL's do.

Mike - I think you were unfortunate that particular day because of a site manager who was a bit of a "jobsworth". Had your unit been on grass it wouldn't have been a problem as they would have paced out the next unit the required distance from yours.

It's a shame you have decided not to use the club sites because of one bad experience, there are some great sites in lovely locations that you are missing out on. Lots of them have some great walks from their sites too, I know how you love your walking.
        Just to Say that I agree with Graham,I think Riosroma and Yamaha have over reacted to one not perfect experience. The two clubs both have superb main sites that are very well looked after, I use both often,CLs and CS s are good but can be decidedly variable but if money is what drives you then they are cheap and between the two clubs you have nearly 8000 to choose from.
        Whats not to like!
        Ian
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

It's been my experience that private sites are the worst for charging for 'extras' - dogs (£1-4 pr night); awnings (£2 upwards per night) one campsite I know of charges extra ££ to be at the front with a sea view; pup tent (£1 or £2 per night); extra car (£2-3 pr night); extra persons over and above the standard two plus one car- £3.50 upwards per night), Children 2yrs & under (£1.50-£2.00 per night), the list goes on....

EHU is always usually charged as an extra, no matter where you camp. The CCC and CC don't charge extra for awnings.

It's ok for a lot of us who are solo, we don't have to pay these charges if we don't want to, but for a family with children, even a camp site that seems 'cheap' to start with often ends up quite expensive when all the extras are paid.

I tend to see what the 'hidden extras' amount to and see how much that comes to per night before I book.

The best sites (including the C&CC) charge per person, so a solo camper pays less than a family. I find these are the best sites, and have decent facilities - as well as being the cheapest in my situation.
          Last edited by jayjay; 10-12-2010, 10:05.

Comment

Hi Mike, sorry to hear of your problems on a camp site, I belong to both C&CC and CC club and have nothing but praise for them both,
            I have used both often, CLs and CSs and been happy on both, but I enjoy the security and services of the club sites, matter of choice I suppose, they suit me perfectly. I agree with Ian's remarks 100%.......
            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
            'Live without regrets'

Comment

[QUOTE=jayjay;13080]It's been my experience that private sites are the worst for charging for 'extras' - dogs (£1-4 pr night); awnings (£2 upwards per night) one campsite I know of charges extra ££ to be at the front with a sea view; pup tent (£1 or £2 per night); extra car (£2-3 pr night); extra persons over and above the standard two plus one car- £3.50 upwards per night), Children 2yrs & under (£1.50-£2.00 per night), the list goes on....

All these extra charges are normal when you think of it, all the above would be extra in a hotel for example, these site are run as a business money has to be made, if there was no charge for extras as it where just imagine what it would be like, it would be like Glastonbury.....
              But then I'm a lone camper, I dont have any extras to pay.
              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
              'Live without regrets'

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

The best sites (including the C&CC) charge per person, so a solo camper pays less than a family. I find these are the best sites, and have decent facilities - as well as being the cheapest in my situation.
                I agree JayJay, many years ago we were tent campers and had two very small two man tents, one for us, one for our two boys. We stayed on a site which charged per unit, so had to pay double. Yet a large double axle caravan next to us, with large awning and 6 occupants paid for one unit and therefore paid less!! Seemed so unfair.

Comment

They are businesses and they charge what they can get away with it seems... I totally avoid campsites that add on too many extras as a policy because I prefer pricing to be simple and upfront. If they are reasonably priced and have only one or two things I can live with it but when it runs into a huge list... I vote with my feet!

Pricing for people that visit you onsite is another common one because they may use the facilities the reasoning goes.

Comment

Glass half full or half empty. You could look at it as being a reduction for people who do not have all the paraphernalia. I suppose it depends on what the basic charge is. As we do not tend to use extras then we are happy if the basic price is reasonable.

All I ask is not to end up next to one of those units that take up the entire space as well as some of ours, even if they have paid extras, for numerous awnings, windbreaks, cars and noisy radios and people sleeping all over the place.

The answer is to go to a site that suits you and not return if you don't like it.

Running your own business can be hard and a campsite has only a small season to make a profit. They have probably worked out what it best charging option for them and their type of site. They will never please all the people all the time!

Comment

Can we be charged for an awning?

In our earlier days of camping/tenting the wife and I attended a site in Dorset and arrived to find a large queue at reception. by the time we reached the front we realized that all were being given the third degree. Questions like. "Are you sure there are only two of you?" "Any dogs?" "Is there an awning?" "What else can we charge you for?" I was nearly tempted to turn around but it was late in the evening and it had been a long day. The point is you pay for the use of a pitch for a period of time providing you don't damage it or offend other people around you, that is it. You have rented it and it is yours for that period. Come to think of it they charged for barbecues, use of the clubhouse and showers. At that time we only had a two man ridge tent! This was camping at its worst. One could argue that such establishments could be placed on a 'Never again' list but for obvious reasons that list must remain in your head. I know that the site is still there (viewed on Google Earth). I just hope their policy has changed.

Comment

If a site charges extra for awnings, I can make a decision whether or not it's worth the extra charge and decide whether or not to bother putting it up.

But at most sites except C & C C ones I have to pay for 2 adults regardless - that really bugs me. I don't have the option of deciding whether to acquire an extra adult to justify the cost!

Most times when I had the kids with me, sites readily charged for one child, letting the other be the second adult - but there was one site who wanted me to pay for a pitch inc. 2 adults and pay for two children, even though there were only the 3 of us. I had a stand up argument with the site owner and eventually they backed down. It wasn't a cheap site, either.

Comment

Just a couple of minor corrections. -

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                          But at most sites except C & C C ones I have to pay for 2 adults regardless - that really bugs me. I don't have the option of deciding whether to acquire an extra adult to justify the cost!
                          Caravan Club sites also charge per person plus a standard pitch fee, so solo campers only have to pay for themselves.

Also, Jayjay, you do not pay extra on Caravan Club sites for EHU, it is included in the pitch fee, irrespective of how much you use.

We generally tend to use CC sites, knowing the excellent standard of the sites and facilities, together with the all inclusive fees. CL's are our next favourite option, accepting that standards can vary enormously. Private sites are viewed with suspicion! One we visited on our tour of Scotland must have been the worst we could have tripped over (and it was a C&CC "listed" site).

In the end it comes down to personal choice, if you don't like a site, move on - that is what wheels are for.

Barry

PS - Yamaha, you don't have to pitch an awning on grass. If you have the right pegs and a dirty great big hammer you can put the canvas up on the gravel next to the van, keep your feet dry and un-muddy AND keep the grumpy old warden happy

Comment

A Pitch is a pitch ..

Although I would pay for an awning to be erected, with tounge in cheek.

As a camper, caravanner or whatever unit im using... I rent a pitch. Or I rent a pitch with electrical hook up.

It would be very intresting, to know what a pitch entitlement is?
                            I would consider the following....

To hold a single tent, caravan,motorhome and variable camping units.
                            To supply electricity at an extra cost.
                            To accomodate up to four people at no extra cost.
                            To place an awning at no extra cost as this will become a main living area.
                            To accomodate a single dog at no extra charge.

__________________________________________________ ___________

I have seen that some sites now, are not only charging for electric which I accept, but further charging for use of an electrical hook up lead, the reason being that the normal ehu lead does not conform with the sites system... I would presumme that the outlet boxes have been modified not to accept the normal 3 pin plugs? or could this be an ELF N SAFTEY thing??

I would like your input here... I can see the argument with regard to these MASSIVE SPACE SHIP TENT taking the space of two caravans... thet should be charged accordingly...

Comment

I think the problem is that everybody's idea of 'fairness' is going to vary and what is acceptable is going to vary on the structure of your camping party.

The reality is they put facilities into a campsite one way or another they want everybody to pay for it, understandibly. I dislike campsites that do this sort of thing.. extras for awnings, extra cars, people that visit (£5.00 a day saw on one campsite) plus a charge for their car as well, extra for the dog, tokens for the shower, extra for pup tent, charge for dog of above £2.00 a day, charges for ice blocks, charge for washing line (yep seen that one), bicycles, groundsheets in awnings...... breathing???

I find charges for visitors irksome because often people will visit me say a coffee before we set off for the day... and so then to avoid the charge you end up waiting for them at the entrance and cannot show them around.

Reason I hate it is simple, I am on holiday and I do not want to have to restrict my life avoiding campsite charges it is not restful. Not making judgements exactly because campsite is a business and we are customers and must vote with our feet.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X