Another rant I'm afraid - C&CC Teversal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another rant I'm afraid - C&CC Teversal

We've just got back from a two night stay at Teversal C&CC site. We looked online before we went and saw that they had grass pitches with no electric hook up available for booking. We didn't think it was necessary to book in advance with it being midweek, when we arrived we said we wanted a non electric pitch but were told that the grass was too wet and we'd never get off. So we asked if we could have a hard standing with no electric but apparently all the hard standing pitches are electric ones and can't be used for non electric. We said we wanted to put our awning up to try it out on grass so she said that awnings had to be on hard standing but there was a tent pitch with a hard standing parking space for a car where we could park and pitch the awning on the grass next to the van. Perfect we thought but apparently we still had to pay for electric because it was an electric tent pitch! Looking round we saw that the site was half empty with plenty of hard standing pitches not being used so we asked why couldn't we have a hard standing and not use the electric but they blamed the club and said that wasn't allowed. So in the end we had to pay an extra £5 per night for hard standing and electricity.

Later I was filming a video review for our youtube channel and the head warden saw me and came over to chat, I told him what I was doing and he said he hoped it would be a good review, so I gave him both barrels I said I was disappointed that the site was almost all gravel and hard standing with very little grass and told him we wanted a grass pitch because it said they were available on the website. He told me they had one grass pitch which was available but the last person who put a motorhome on had to pay £90 to be towed off. So I asked in that case why is there the option on the website to book a grass pitch, his reply was that he wanted to compete with other camp sites and put the lowest "from" camping price possible!

So there you have it, they advertise grass pitches are available but actually they aren't it's just a con so that it looks good on the website. When I asked what would have happened if I had booked on line and paid in advance he said they would have phoned up and said that the pitches were too wet for motorhomes!

This makes me so angry, in my eyes there is no reason whatsoever why, when there hard standing pitches not being used, they couldn't let you use them when the grass is wet and put a bag over the electric point or disconnect it and make the pitch a non electric pitch. It's just an excuse to make you pay for electricity even if you don't want it.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Sounds like it's time to use owner-run, non-club sites where they can make their own rules, be more flexible and customer-led.

On the few occasions I used C&CC sites 6-8 years ago, I never needed EHU but used pitches with a power supply because they were the only ones available. I certainly was never charged for it.

In contrast, on the last site I used +2 years ago, I needed EHU just briefly. "No problem at all" said the friendly and obliging owner, "just plug in for an hour or two while you need it then unplug when you've finished. No charge". The pitch was £7 per night.

A rather different attitude to what you encountered.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
      Sounds like it's time to use owner-run, non-club sites where they can make their own rules, be more flexible and customer-led.

On the few occasions I used C&CC sites 6-8 years ago, I never needed EHU but used pitches with a power supply because they were the only ones available. I certainly was never charged for it.

In contrast, on the last site I used +2 years ago, I needed EHU just briefly. "No problem at all" said the friendly and obliging owner, "just plug in for an hour or two while you need it then unplug when you've finished. No charge". The pitch was £7 per night.

This whole electricity thing annoys me - when it suits the club to charge for it they claim they have to stick to the law about reselling electricity, if there is a hook up to the pitch then it has to be charged for, you cannot have a separate price for electric.

However, a couple of years ago we were at Salisbury and they wanted us to move from our non electric pitch so that some ground work could be carried out. We were put on an electric pitch, were not charged for it and did not plug into it, thus breaking their own 'rules' about EHU pitches having to be charged for!

Commercial sites seem able to charge for electricity separately, if you want it you pay the price, if you don't you just don't connect to the hook up - simples!

Comment

I hope you will be putting your complaint in writing to the Club?

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
          I hope you will be putting your complaint in writing to the Club?
          I certainly am Caz.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

CCC club

We cam out after not been abell to have the toiles left so Denise could get in with out me haveing to open the door all the time for her then we ask could they mope the floor as it was wet got toll no so we asked for money back that was the Oxford sit Tom

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post

That is at odds with my experience at Chertsey C&CC two or three years ago.
              Moving on from the South Coast I pre-booked a none EHU pitch by mobile phone.
              On arrival I was told that only EHU pitches were available. Could I just not ise the EHU/ Yes, but I must pay for the EHU.
              Tea time, too late to move on. I just had to bite the bullet and pay up!
              I had nothing to use on EHU!
              Jim.
              Last edited by Twolitre; 19-03-2016, 10:27.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Surely it goes against truthful advertising......illegal????? Certainly not moral....
                like I did with the Romahome club years ..walked with me feel with many others.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                  Commercial sites seem able to charge for electricity separately, if you want it you pay the price, if you don't you just don't connect to the hook up - simples!
                  Yes, they do charge separately. They also charge separately for awnings, dogs, extra car per family, anything really. However, the charge for electric is generally a lot cheaper than it is on the C&CC sites, and even adding on a few pounds for awning and dog, I have usually found that it's still cheaper to use private sites.

It was cheaper for us to use a small commercial site in the area, rather than use the C&CC club site at Salisbury when we went to Wiltshire for a holiday. I just checked the site we stayed on then for this year. The Charge for EHU is £3.50 per night. At Manorafon Farm in N. Wales, the difference between a grass pitch with EHU and one without is just £3.00.

I don't see how the C&CC can justify a charge of £5.00 a night for EHU.
                  Last edited by jayjay; 19-03-2016, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                    Yes, they do charge separately. They also charge separately for awnings, dogs, extra car per family, anything really. However, the charge for electric is generally a lot cheaper than it is on the C&CC sites, and even adding on a few pounds for awning and dog, I have usually found that it's still cheaper to use private sites. It was cheaper for us to use a small commercial site in the area, rather than use the C&CC club site at Salisbury when we went to Wiltshire for a holiday. I just checked the site we stayed on then for this year. The Charge for EHU is £3.50 per night. At Manorafon Farm in N. Wales, the difference between a grass pitch with EHU and one without is just £3.00. I don't see how the C&CC can justify a charge of £5.00 a night for EHU.
                    I think the £5 per night includes £1 for hard standing so that leaves £4 for ehu. I've just checked a site in Norfolk and the charge £2 ehu but do charge extra for dogs, awnings etc. We haven't got a dog and don't usually need an awning so it would be cheap for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                    Graham

Comment

I'm sure the last time I went on a grass pitch with EHU at the C&CC the price for the electric was £5.00.. perhaps I'm wrong.

Comment

Teversal is a franchised site and the franchisee's have always been helpful when we have been there, generally fulfilling requests for adjoining pitches etc if friends are joining us. I don't think we have ever not had a EHU pitch when we have stayed there though, or been on grass for that matter, as we have mainly used it in winter when hard standing and electric comes in handy.
                        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                          Teversal is a franchised site and the franchisee's have always been helpful when we have been there, generally fulfilling requests for adjoining pitches etc if friends are joining us. I don't think we have ever not had a EHU pitch when we have stayed there though, or been on grass for that matter, as we have mainly used it in winter when hard standing and electric comes in handy.

Yes I got the impression talking to the warden that they owned the site, he was telling me how he'd built the toilets etc., they were both pleasant enough, as was I, I'm sure they are doing their best to run the site as within the silly rules of the camping and caravanning club.

Talking of rules I noticed the new rule of no arrivals before 1.00pm was ignored several times by members, one arrived at 11am and was allowed on the site, most of the others arrived at 12 or just after and certainly before 1pm but I suppose what else can they do but turn them away or make them wait.
                          Graham

Comment

At least C & C C do have non-EHU pitches. All the Caravan Club ones I've been on there has been no choice, all pitches have EHU and you pay for it. I've seen commercial sites where charges for EHU can be as high as £6 a night.

I tend only to use sites (apart from meets) when I need EHU to charge everything up, empty the loo, have a shower, do the washing etc, and I do like a hardstanding in winter or if weather is wet, so I want the EHU anyway.

However, if a site offers non-EHU pitches then they should provide them - and if, through no fault of your own, you have to use a pitch with a hook up point on it then you should not be forced to pay extra if you don't want to use the EHU.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                              That is at odds with my experience at Chertsey C&CC two or three years ago.
                              Moving on from the South Coast I pre-booked a none EHU pitch by mobile phone.
                              On arrival I was told that only EHU pitches were available. Could I just not ise the EHU/ Yes, but I must pay for the EHU.
                              Tea time, too late to move on. I just had to bite the bullet and pay up!
                              I had nothing to use on EHU!
                              Jim.

The sites where I used EHU pitches without using or paying it were (I don't have a C&CC book so might not be correct names, but correct area):
                              1 - Derwentwater: I was moved onto this pitch due to flooding, 2008.
                              2 - Kendal
                              3 - Keswick (the cheapest site - can't remember its name): 3x
                              4 - Glencoe: 3x
                              5 - another Scottish site I used 5 years on the trot and offered exceptional and very friendly serviceI was also shown where there was a 13A socket in a public area where I could charge my phone or other small items. They also accepted my Kangoo panel van without rear windows without question and possibly broke some C&CC rules so I won't name them.

I didn't book pitches in advance but turned up, asked for a basic pitch without EHU. When there were none available, I said I would be happy to use an EHU pitch but not pay the additional charge because I wouldn't be using it. On one occasion my stance was referred to another warden but there were never any quibbles.

I was in either my Kangoo panel van or Kangoo Roo with obviously no electrical equipment, or at least nothing visible (I always carry a mini oven and a hair dryer for drying shoes and clothing) so would have had no obvious need for any power.

Comment