As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

City Sites

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City Sites

Well, we have a week off in February and thought we'd do the opposite from our usual rural hols and head to civilisation. Can anyone recommend sites that are handy for cities? We'd like to arrive and leave the van put, but don't mind bus/tube etc to head towards the bright lights.
    Husband wants to head to London, but I don't really mind where we go. (And since it will be my birthday, I am choosing whether he likes it or not!)
    Aileen.

We went to the C&CC Oxford site a few years ago, you can walk into the city and if memory serves me right its about 10 minutes walk.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

hello,
      try bristol,
      see my other thread.

or york,its lovely.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

or Delamere (Forest) C&CC where you can get a bus into Chester - or is that a bit too close? I love Chester, but it's more of a day trip from here! Delemere is even closer! LOL!

Comment

Would love to do the CC site in the middle of York, but always fully booked.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
            Would love to do the CC site in the middle of York, but always fully booked.

Tony Anchorman
            We managed to get in for one night once and it really is in a great position right on the riverside and a short walk from the centre of York but alas as you say usually booked up months in advance.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

There are 2 caravan club sites in york and Beechwood has vacancies now upto end of may.
              Try phoning the booking office at East Grinstead, the sites dont open yet and you can book easily,also there are several CL sites there.
              Its not so hard.

The rowntree riverside site has vacancies for august,sept and loads for november(christmas shopping?)
              Last edited by Ian.C.S; 22-01-2011, 19:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
                Well, we have a week off in February and thought we'd do the opposite from our usual rural hols and head to civilisation. Can anyone recommend sites that are handy for cities? We'd like to arrive and leave the van put, but don't mind bus/tube etc to head towards the bright lights.
                Husband wants to head to London, but I don't really mind where we go. (And since it will be my birthday, I am choosing whether he likes it or not!)
                Aileen.
                Hello Aileen,
                I dont know what outfit you drive but if its a diesel motorcaravan,beware of the Low Emission Zone in london,unless your outfit is Euro 4 compliant or under 2 tonnes,i.e a smaller roma, you will be charged £100 to enter the zone.
                If you cross London from north to south (or vice versa) you may encounter the Congestion Charge Zone,£10 per day.
                Only the caravan club site at redhill is outside the LEZ, but you must approach by the M25.
                Its a long drive for you, and its not in the centre. The best way to see london is by train and hotel.You can get good city break deals.

Comment

We have visited London a number of times and have stayed at either Chertsey or Walton on Thames using the caravan club or more recently Abbey Wood. Abbey Wood is just inside the zone but you can check here if it applies to you

https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b...s?referrer=lez

We have also recently stayed at Theobalds Park just off the M25, although we did not go int London from here my parents used to stay here when they visited London. A brisk walk to Turkey St station go get the train in.

Hope this is of some use.

Comment

We are going to give the Oxford C&CC a try in February! Looks to be in a good position. No hardstandings, but I understand they use the side of the roads when it is very wet.
                    Mary

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                      We have visited London a number of times and have stayed at either Chertsey or Walton on Thames using the caravan club or more recently Abbey Wood. Abbey Wood is just inside the zone but you can check here if it applies to you

https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b...s?referrer=lez

We have also recently stayed at Theobalds Park just off the M25, although we did not go int London from here my parents used to stay here when they visited London. A brisk walk to Turkey St station go get the train in.

Hope this is of some use.
                      Oh well done Peter,
                      I could not get that link to transfer,and its important isnt it.
                      Some one told me that Manchester is doing the same thing? dont know if thats so,but it makes life difficult doesnt it.

Comment

Thanks everyone, certainly some food for thought here. I've checked the low emission site and think we're ok in our Outlook, but if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.
                        We've been to Chester a few times for an overnight stop on the little Roodee carpark (it's only 11 miles from home). Although we haven't done it for a couple of years, I think that they still allow it. Much cheaper than a taxi in and out!
                        I'm now going to look at availability and price etc. Decisions, decisions!

Comment

If you put your reg in the box on the web page it will tell you.

I am certain that all Outlooks are in until at least the next date when things change (2012?)

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                            If you put your reg in the box on the web page it will tell you.

I am certain that all Outlooks are in until at least the next date when things change (2012?)
                            Thanks Peter, I have just checked our Dimension and we are compliant. I think that's good
                            Graham

Comment

Well, we're off to the bright lights in the morning. We're booked in at Abbey Wood for 3 nights. It is a bit of a drive from here, but the journey is part of the break (or so my husband keeps telling me, but I'm a control freak and do the driving)!
                              We've just bought a little 500w heater, as we will have electric hook up for only the second time in our 4 year motorhome career, so it should be a little spot of luxury for us. Just over 12 months ago we were in the Shetland Islands and also stuck in snow in Aberdeen, so this should be a very different little break for us.
                              I'm sure we'll have fun,
                              Aileen.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X