This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provision of Camping Sites

As our hobby/obsession is very popular, camping sites are getting more crowded, particularly in high season. In fact during Summer weekends, on the South Coast, many sites are fully booked. It seems obvious that we need more sites. Many small farmers and landowners are looking for ways to increase their income, this is what they are being told that is required if they want to allow camping on their land.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2007/0...RAVAN-SITE.htm

I have clipped out some of the relevant text
    Britain's 1.8m caravanners may sometimes raise the blood pressure of following drivers, but they are reckoned to contribute at least £250m a year to the rural economy. Providing sites for these happy wanderers can also refresh the bank balances of cash-strapped farmers and landowners.

But would-be site operators need to be aware that caravanning is changing, and they will have to deal with a lot of legislation and quite a bit of expense. Providing a water standpipe and a couple of portable toilets may still be good enough to persuade a few campers and the odd budget caravanner to pull in, but the vast majority of caravan owners want rather more.

What do they want then?

Basic facilities in a muddy field won't satisfy holidaymakers who have spent a small fortune purchasing and equipping a modern luxury caravan. They want good access roads, well-planned sites, clean lavatories and showers. They don't want pitches where there is a risk of their caravan sinking in axle-deep, but they do want hook-ups to water, electricity and ideally TV.

In fact more and more caravanners now look for landscaped sites that have a shop, laundry and even a licensed bar. They also expect efficient site maintenance, a well-run booking service and, increasingly, the ability to book over the internet.

Given the number of Motorhomers that are wild camping I am not sure that this is correct. Much as they may like posh toilets and metalled roads they do not seem to be willing to pay for them. Given that a commercial site can be up to £40 a night I don't blame them.

Both the camping organisations have some simple sites, CL's and CS's. These seem very popular but you need to be a member and they are frequently fully booked. Small farmers or landowners could offer a similar service but cannot without being tied into one of the organisations.

I think that the general public are being bamboozled, the truth is that planners don't like campsites and do their very best to oppose them. This means that there are many obstacles in the way of starting a campsite, both high startup costs and difficuty in getting planning consent.

I question why the regulations are so strict, why can't a farmer or landowner let people camp on their land for a small charge. As things are now you can't camp on land without the landowners consent and the landowner can't grant it unless they have planning consent. The landowner is in a no-win situation, they just get left with clearing up the mess left by some irresponsible wildcampers.

We, the general public, are not being given the right to chose between luxury sites and a simple field, some people would be quite happy to camp in a meadow with a standpipe and minimal facilities, in fact some may prefer it.

OK folks, what do you think, over to you
    Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Hi Derek - glad to see you've eventually come out of hibernation!!

On a more serious note, though - surely any landowner is covered by the 30 day rule - where any area of land can be used for unlicensed purposes for a maximum of 30 days in any year?

Not sure of the technicalities, though - eg, use field A for 30 days, then the next-door field B for a further 30 days - or whether the authorities have already thought of that wheeze.

Good point you've raised, though - some sites seem to be getting dearer than a basic B&B.

ps - feel another bike ride to Tyneham coming on this summer!!

Still not sure about the trek to the beach, though!!

Mike
    Last edited by Yamaha; 22-01-2011, 22:39.

Comment

Hello All

I thought you might be interested in what is happening in Queensland. Several small towns who have found themselves bypassed by new highways, have come up with a great way of encouraging campers and caravaners to visit their town. They set up a park with showers and toilets, power sites and barbecues paid for and run by by the local council. To attract the visitors, they give you two days free, or you pay for the first day and then get two days free. They figure this will bring people to the town who will spend some money over a few days. I have stayed at a couple of these places and they are great. They are basic but who needs all the flash facilities that the big Caravan parks charge a fortune for.
      They are looked after by council staff who are usually very friendly and can give you lots of advice on what to see and do.

Comment

Hi Mike, wonderful what a bit of sunshine can do to cheer you up, makes you think Spring is not far away. Looking forward to going back down to Dorset and getting up on those cliffs at Tynham.

Not sure about the 30 day rule, I think it only applies to tent camping. When caravans are involved (that includes motor caravans), I have read that planning permission is required. Exempted organisations are err, exempt , that covers rallys and the camping clubs.

Hi Ian, sounds a brilliant system down under, in England most local authorities seem to regard motorhomes and camping as a problem.

I hope the flooding situation is getting better, must be a lot of clearing up to do.
        Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

I think that people with smaller van are less likely to want to pay for an all singing all dancing campsite and probably prefer smaller basic sites like CL's and CS's but there does seem to be an increasing number of people with large caravans who don't mind paying £20, £30, £40 per night.

We started going to a CL which had just opened in Lincolnshire a few years ago in fact I think we were one of their first customers it was a basic site with no electricity, toilets or showers, just a field at the side of their bungalow with a tap and chemical disposal point. We went quite a bit and time after time we were the only people camping and eventually the owner had to put electricity in because no one wanted to camp without it, last time we went he was saying it is more popular now but he will probably have to put some hard standings in because people ask for those when they phone.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I couldn't agree more. Personally, I couldn't think of anything worse than a large site with all mod cons, TV, 'entertainment', kids running around screaming etc. All I want is a safe location and a tap would be a bonus rather than an essential. I prefer to 'escape' on trips and live as simply and cheaply as possible.

In the winter it's a little different and a hook-up is desirable so I can run my Bambino radiator to help prevent the van freezing up inside and out (as it did while I was away on Tuesday/Wednesday this week).

A shower is essential for trips of more than a few nights when the cold water, kitchen roll and shower gel will no longer suffice and this is the one and only reason I ever use the more formal camp sites while away.

I can appreciate the problems landowners go through in trying to accept campers. I was involved in setting up a campsite in 1993-6 and it took almost 3 years to get through the planning consent process to opening day - but it's been a great success and none of the fears of the nimbys have materialised.

In the absence of CLs in many areas, maybe there is an opportunity amongst forums such as these to offer campers with small unobtrusive vehicles (and unlikely to upset neighbours) to park on driveways with access to an outside tap and free hook-up (not to be abused by running 3kw heaters overnight!) in exchange for a reciprocal arrangement for the host. I've done this and thoroughly enjoy it. It's a way of meeting like-minded campers, having a nosy at each others' vans, learning more about an area and, even better, it's free! Thoughts....??

So... who's got a driveway with space for a little Roo..???!!!

Comment

Personally I love a few kids around, they do not all scream and thump footballs at you. Yes I know that when you get on some commercial sites there is a certain sort of family that can raise the hackles but there are decent youngsters out there that are a joy to be around. Watching them play an provide endless entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Roamingsue View Post
                Personally I love a few kids around, they do not all scream and thump footballs at you. Yes I know that when you get on some commercial sites there is a certain sort of family that can raise the hackles but there are decent youngsters out there that are a joy to be around. Watching them play an provide endless entertainment.
                I know a bloke has to be careful what he says nowadays,but I like seeing kids having fun on a campsite.
                My two stepchildren were introduced to camping at a young age and I think it can only be beneficial to families to get out and about.
                A friend at work,only holidays every other year,when the family go to disneyland USA.
                I know others who wont holiday unless they can go abroad to a hotel that caters for english families.
                Maybe I am wrong but I feel those kids are missing out on so much.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                  I know a bloke has to be careful what he says nowadays,but I like seeing kids having fun on a campsite.
                  I don't mind well behaved children running around the campsite either, I used to be one.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    I don't mind well behaved children running around the campsite either, I used to be one.
                    Same here. I hope my earlier comment was mis-interpreted as anti-children: it wasn't meant that way.

What I'm not keen on is being directed onto a tent field on a large commercial site where there are large groupings with young children running amock, kicking balls against cars and tents and running around screaming at all hours while their parents take no control. It tends not to happen on Club sites where there's the '11pm rule', and never on a CL I've visited, but I've seen many parents on sites with their own children becoming quite frustrated at how others are behaving.

Given a choice though, I'd still prefer a small, quiet and friendly CL where people talk to each other rather than a large site.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                      Same here. I hope my earlier comment was mis-interpreted as anti-children: it wasn't meant that way.

What I'm not keen on is being directed onto a tent field on a large commercial site where there are large groupings with young children running amock,
                      I know exactly what you mean Karen we have experienced this too, at one C&CC site we went to the site manager had to round up all the children and take them back to their various parents and tell them the rules. I heard him tell one parent "there is a difference between children running around and running amok". Good on him I say.
                      Graham

Comment

Completely understand Karen. There is a certain type of family that you just dread and they are rarely to be found on the low facility site.

But as an aside I have noticed the uk is one of the least child friendly places to go on holiday. In fact my sister and brother have commented as well as they spend most holidays with their children in europe for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post

What I'm not keen on is being directed onto a tent field on a large commercial site where there are large groupings with young children running amock, kicking balls against cars and tents and running around screaming at all hours while their parents take no control. It tends not to happen on Club sites where there's the '11pm rule', and never on a CL I've visited, but I've seen many parents on sites with their own children becoming quite frustrated at how others are behaving.

Given a choice though, I'd still prefer a small, quiet and friendly CL where people talk to each other rather than a large site.
                          No one was suggesting you were anti kids, I fully understand your need for peace and quiet when having some time to yourself. We have all met families that have no regard for anyone else.
                          Hope to see you and your bunnies someday.
                          Ian
                          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                            Hope to see you and your bunnies someday.
                            Ian
                            This could be arranged if you're heading up to the Wye Valley while you're in Bristol...!

K

Comment

Interesting discussion.

Personally we prefer small sites with minimal facilities. We avoid large all singing and dancing sites, even the club sites seem too formal for us but stay on them occasionally, particularly for the meet ups as they are convenient.

Registration of a group under the umbrella of ACCEO allows rally groups to camp for up to 5 days on unlicensed land that is not normally a campsite. ACCEO is the Association of Caravan and Camping Exempt Organisations, have a google.

Comment