Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autocruise Jazz Waeco Fridge defrosting after one day when parked up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autocruise Jazz Waeco Fridge defrosting after one day when parked up.

The Waeco C80 Fridge defrosts after one day when we are parked up. We have 2 Banner 110amp power and also battery to battery charger. It works fine on 230v and when we are driving. Has anyone else experience this problem. Would be grateful for any help. Many thanks .Jenny.

I question what you are trying to run the fridge on. The usual 3-way fridge can only be powered by the 12v side of things whilst on the move, in transit, through a relay from the car engine and this should stop when the engine does. Could this be what is happening - i.e., you are driving along using the relay, the fridge contents are cool, then you park up and by the next morning, nothing is working? You only have a choice of two when parked up, either EHU or gas. It can't be powered from a 12v system, or it shouldn't be working that way, whether you have the battery power or not, if the engine is off. The 12v part of the operation should switch off when the engine is switched off.

It sounds as though this is what is happening. You are expecting the 12v to power the fridge when the engine is off. Even if it could be done (as it has) you would find that 12v power to the fridge would flatten the largest battery in less than a day.

If it's not that, then it could be the following. Not sure if it's the same problem, but mine defrosted itself once whilst on EHU. That side of the caravan was in full sunlight for most of the day, and I think the fridge was overworking. Then it just switched itself off! I didn't even know it did that until I read the manual. After leaving it unplugged overnight, it came back on again. I've never had this problem on gas, although I do turn the fridge down low once it's up to temp when on gas.

I solved the problem in a typical Heath Robinson fashion, by blue-tacking a car foil-type windscreen blind onto the outside of the caravan whilst the sun was very hot! Not a problem we get much in the UK!!

Could be that there is a defrost button somewhere that is stuck in some way, so see if you can find a manual online for your make and model of fridge, it could be something very easily solved.

Hope this has been of some help.
    Last edited by jayjay; 03-09-2016, 14:32.

Comment

Jayjay, the Waeco is a compressor fridge, it only works on ehu or 12v

Jennyjazz, we have an Autocruise Jazz - to run the fridge from the leisure battery when we first had the van we made sure the 12v was switched on at the main panel, and the switch at the back of the van in the corner to the right of the sink was also on. We turned the fridge to a lower setting, and opened the door as little as possible, in fact we turned the fridge off at night to conserve battery power, and it remained cold. We have since had an 85w solar panel fitted and have it linked to two 110 leisure batteries, this has meant we can safely stay off grid for a week or so, more if we are travelling during the day. A tip passed on to us was to freeze a couple of freezer blocks whilst using ehu, and put them in the fridge main area when necessary.

Hope this is helpful

Have just checked, our fridge is a Waeco 65, later models allow you to remove freezer compartment.
      Last edited by VonUK; 03-09-2016, 18:53. Reason: Extra info

Comment

Autocross Jazz Waco Fridge

Many thanks for your comments it's what we do. Think we might have to fit a solar panel. Many thanks. Trev and Jenny.

Comment

Ooops! Sorry, I'm not familiar with the compressor fridges and assumed it was an ordinary 3-way fridge.. apologies!

Comment

Originally posted by jennyjazz View Post
            Many thanks for your comments it's what we do. Think we might have to fit a solar panel. Many thanks. Trev and Jenny.
            Hi Jenny, I hope you don't mind me asking but is your Jazz an early or recent model? I thought all Jazz models were fitted with a Waeco 65 model fridge, if yours is a C80, that would certainly use more power. I can't think where a C80 could be placed in the Jazz, ours is under the sink, beneath the cutlery drawer, I think a C80 would only fit if the cutlery drawer was removed. Just curious

Before fitting a solar panel, it might be worth getting the connection from the leisure batteries to the fridge checked. Have just found your earlier posts, when you mentioned your initial fridge problems - the salesman's comment about it working on 12v only when the engine is running is absolute nonsense - he obviously didn't know what he was selling!!
            Last edited by VonUK; 04-09-2016, 13:12.

Comment

Autocross Jazz Waco Fridge

My husband has just checked the plate on the fridge is on the top so hand mirror required, our van is 2010 and the fridge is a C80 under the sink cutlery draw installed. My husband has just said anyone interested in buying a Autocross Jazz. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                Ooops! Sorry, I'm not familiar with the compressor fridges and assumed it was an ordinary 3-way fridge.. apologies!
                No need to be sorry Jackie, your info was useful and relevant - it is simply the fact that compressor fridges are supposedly more efficient, and should not use up the leisure battery at the same rate as a 3 way fridge. They have one or two other advantages - they don't need to be vented to the outside of the vehicle as they don't use gas, this gives more options for placement by the converters, and they can cope well with greater variations in how level the vehicle is when parked, which is why they are used in boats.

Comment

Originally posted by jennyjazz View Post
                  My husband has just checked the plate on the fridge is on the top so hand mirror required, our van is 2010 and the fridge is a C80 under the sink cutlery draw installed. My husband has just said anyone interested in buying a Autocross Jazz. Many thanks.
                  Hi Jenny, it sounds to me as though there could be a wiring problem somewhere between the leisure batteries and the fridge, your two large batteries should have easily lasted for a weekend, even with a C80 fridge. It might be worth checking the health of the leisure batteries too, if they are allowed to drop below 50% they can be damaged, then they may well work when the engine is running and charging them, but may not maintain the charge for long when the engine stops. This was one of the reasons we had a solar panel connected to the leisure batteries, it keeps the batteries topped up, with an occasional charge on ehu during the winter.

I'm really sorry to hear about your problem, I hope you can get to the bottom of it soon, the Jazz is a great little Motorhome; please tell your husband thanks for the offer, but I'll stick with ours for the moment
                  Last edited by VonUK; 04-09-2016, 13:57.

Comment

How is it wired?
                    My solar panel controller switches off it's 12v out if the battery level falls.

So if it used to work before the panels were fitted, did the fitters move the fridge feed to the controller, and as your batteries get a bit older, they will drop in voltage faster, and so switch the controller output to the fridge off?

Maybe a direct feed from the batteries to the fridge is needed, provided you have a meter to monitor the batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller26 View Post
                      How is it wired?
                      My solar panel controller switches off it's 12v out if the battery level falls.

So if it used to work before the panels were fitted, did the fitters move the fridge feed to the controller, and as your batteries get a bit older, they will drop in voltage faster, and so switch the controller output to the fridge off?

Maybe a direct feed from the batteries to the fridge is needed, provided you have a meter to monitor the batteries?
                      Hi Traveller - the Jazz with the fridge problem doesn't have a solar panel at the moment. Our Jazz which HAS got a solar panel is absolutely fine However, I think you might have opened up another line of enquiry for them, there definitely seems to be a problem between the leisure batteries and the fridge. If the L batteries have not been maintained, they won't hold their charge, and would easily discharge over night even if they are connected to the fridge. Or, as you suggest, there might not be a working link from the L batteries to the fridge. Cheers!

Comment