This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind your step

Be careful in this wet weather when you get out of your van onto the step!

Two weeks ago our Fiamma step decided to give me flying lessons. Not good as now sitting here with broken wrist / hand which I had to have operated on and pins etc put in it.

It wasn't the step that was slippery but the ground underneath the step. It was a hardstanding with the hexagonal stuff on it that the grass still grows through. The type they have at C&CC sites. I stood on step - it went one way and I went the other, flew through the air and landed on my side.

In trying to avoid the wet grass we moved the van further forward than usual so we wouldn't keep stepping on it and churning it up making it muddy. It poured with rain and when it stopped I got out of van to go to the loo and never gave it a thought that it might be slippery. There are holes in the feet of the step which once before we put a couple of pegs in so it didn't move. Didn't think of doing that this time!

The warden was so helpful (it was late at night) and rang for an ambulance which then carted me off to hospital. He was also very kind to Roger when he finally arrived back at the site at 6:00am Sunday morning.

So no more winter camping at the moment for us as I am signed off work for 8 weeks and Christmas is officially cancelled in our house.

I am trying very hard to keep my sense of humour.
    Attached Files
    Moya :)

Devastated to hear of your plight, Moya. Especially as I guess from previous posts that you have Irish blood in you, and that both you and my wife are both married to Rogers! We are no doubt the same vintage

The message you send is well taken. I have used the nylon mesh type hard standings and will take particular care in future.

As for you... get well soon, eh

Comment

Hi Moya

So sorry to hear your news, what a terrible shock that must have been , thanks for the warning about the steps.

I hope you are soon on the mend and you can enjoy Christmas a little.

Keep your chin up (as we say round these parts), you'll soon be back camping I'm sure.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Sorry to hear of your accident and hope you recover soon. Thanks for the warning, we use one of those little fold up steps and it also moves on gravel (we have a gravel drive) and I have to make sure it is well 'stabilised' before I use it at home.

Will watch out for slippery bits wherever I go now!

Comment

Really sorry to hear about your accident, unfortunately at your expense it has made others aware of what could happen. keep smiling
          Jessie

Comment

oh no! so sorry to hear what's happened. That sounds like a nasty break, Moya, I hope it mends ok and all is well in the future.

Certainly a lesson to be learned! Shame it was at your expense.

Comment

Hi Moya
              Very sorry to hear of your accident, at this time of the year as well, poor you, hope it mends OK, chin up!!!
              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
              'Live without regrets'

Comment

Re:Step

Just what i was discussing with my mate Moley a couple of weeks ago! I did suggest putting some non slip rubber matting under our steps as we go straight out onto tarmac outside our homes. When our steps are outside our vans when in use.Hope you soon recover and able to get out camping soon.
                Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

Moya

Hi Moya
                  Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident, just hope you get better soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu Venture, Cleethorpes View Post
                    Just what i was discussing with my mate Moley a couple of weeks ago! I did suggest putting some non slip rubber matting under our steps as we go straight out onto tarmac outside our homes. When our steps are outside our vans when in use.Hope you soon recover and able to get out camping soon.
                    This sounds like a good idea. I wonder if a piece of the breathable groundsheet would work. When we can go on our travels again might give it a go. I certainly don't want to go through this again.

Sorry I haven't replied to you all before now but thank you for your good wishes. Counting the days now - wires out and hopefully plaster off on December 29th.

Hope you all have a good Christmas.
                    Moya :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X