As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile Phone Coverage

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone Coverage

I use ASDA PAYT Mobile as it uses the Vodafone Network which is supposed to give good coverage for the UK. At 8p a min. and only 4p a Text.
    I just wonder what the Vodafone coverage is like in the North of Scotland ?
    Gunerdoo Do It Tomorrow ?

I wild-camped up to John O'Groats in May and found the Vodaphone coverage very good. In the hilly remote areas, reception could be patchy as I'd expect. Around Inverness it was excellent with 3G too.

Comment

Several people, most who live in Scotland, have told me that Vodafone works best there. One person said it was rubbish, but that was my brother near Kilmarnock, so we can safely ignore that statement.
      I have not had any problems with Orange, but I have not been further north than Oban in recent years. I wish I could get decent reception with my USB dongle even in England. Dare I say, but that is Vodaphone and I have not seen any sign of a 3g signal yet. However, to be fair, I expect things to improve greatly in the future.
      Regards,
      Tony

Comment

I use a Vodafone dongle on my company laptop and an Orange one on my personal laptop. General concensus from most at my company including me is the Vodafone reception is c**p. Never got to 3G yet on that one , however my Orange Dongle has got 3G on quite a few occasions. Maybe it's South East UK where I generally am using both?

Tony Anchorman

Comment

We bought a Vodafone mobile phone because the Orange coverage seemed so bad outside the South East, we now carry both, but parts of Wales defeated us with no signal or O2 only. We use the Vodafone dongle and have picked up 3G occasionally but here is an interesting thought. We sat in our son's van both using laptops with Vodafone dongle's to test my theory that his monthly payment one was better than my PAYG - and it was. So I tried to find out why, and as far as I can see the way a dongle is set up is to one of three grades, which is to do with the number of times it searches for a signal every second. This is in laymans terms, I am sure someone can explain it in more technical language. Or tell me I have got the wrong end of the stick!
          Colin

Comment

Hello,
            When we went to Islay and Kintyre we took a Vodafone sim and used that (normally I'm on T Mobile). I had googled mobile coverage and Vodafone appeared to be the best for us, and proved to be the case. You can check Vodafone here:- ttp://maps.vodafone.co.uk.
            Aileen

Comment

Vodafone

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
              Hello,
              When we went to Islay and Kintyre we took a Vodafone sim and used that (normally I'm on T Mobile). I had googled mobile coverage and Vodafone appeared to be the best for us, and proved to be the case. You can check Vodafone here:- ttp://maps.vodafone.co.uk.
              Aileen
              Cheers for that Info

Comment

While in Scotland, I also carried my spare phone which is on the Virgin network. With the exception of the Elan Valley village which can receive a weak Virgin signal where Vodaphone fails, I've always found the Vodaphone network coverage to be better - and I've travelled throughout most of the UK.

Comment

Vodafone

It seems as though Vodafone is a Clear leader at the Moment

Comment

I still have two Orange phones that were free from Avon many years ago. Still going strong and keep in van for when my £4.95 '3' Superdrug phone phone canot get reception.

Have never had problems with these modest phones and the superdrug one has a camera and internet option!

Only thing is that my kids keep telling me they are just sooooo naff looking!! Who cares.

Only place could not get any reception was in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by ScapaFlow View Post
                      I still have two Orange phones that were free from Avon many years ago. Still going strong and keep in van for when my £4.95 '3' Superdrug phone phone canot get reception.

Have never had problems with these modest phones and the superdrug one has a camera and internet option!

Only thing is that my kids keep telling me they are just sooooo naff looking!! Who cares.

Only place could not get any reception was in Wales.
                      Thanks for that Info but I have never seen a Phone in Superdrug for £4.95 ?
                      Maybe one should have an Unlocked Phone and a few different Sims to cover All
                      Occasions

Comment

My £4.95 one was actually £14.95 but it included £10 of PAYG calls, bought about 3 years ago. It is a flip front one. My free Avon ones are little red ones but I kept cutting calls off as I fumbled in my bag to retrieve them as they have no cover.

Daughter gave me her old really expensive phone recently but I can't use the 3 sim in an orange phone and I have a really good easily remembered number with my '3' phone so don't want to change it. Anyway as long as it rings and I can make a call it matters little to me what it looks like! £20 PAYG lasts me a good year or two!!

Comment

Originally posted by ScapaFlow View Post
                          My £4.95 one was actually £14.95 but it included £10 of PAYG calls, bought about 3 years ago. It is a flip front one. My free Avon ones are little red ones but I kept cutting calls off as I fumbled in my bag to retrieve them as they have no cover.

Daughter gave me her old really expensive phone recently but I can't use the 3 sim in an orange phone and I have a really good easily remembered number with my '3' phone so don't want to change it. Anyway as long as it rings and I can make a call it matters little to me what it looks like! £20 PAYG lasts me a good year or two!!
                          Old Saying -If it is not Broken then why Try to Fix it
                          I only have a Cheap Unlocked Phone myself

Comment

I have only just come back to this thread after a few days (or more).

I am very surprised at the comments regarding Orange performance in Wales because I have no complaints at all. Having said that I could go to Wales and not use the phone at all. I very rarely use the mobile anywhere, certainly never at home, but I never go out without it, just in case. In Wales, now and again, I have had to find a bit of extra height nearby. At a particular campsite I often visit (because when it is quiet it is not anything like a campsite), I used to have to climb a sand dune. That is now improved and Orange works anywhere on the site.
                            Tony.

Comment

Hello Tony,
                              Whereabouts in Wales do you go. We live in North East Wales, and generally Orange isn't brilliant, but it is improving all the time. I like the sound of your site!
                              Aileen

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X