No announcement yet.

Campervan Project Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are absolutely right Graham. If the poster is a student doing research then by spreading the too-brief message around several forums he will learn that there are people out there in the Ether who take security seriously. I doubt if he is studying computer security, or he would realise this and as you say introduce himself.
    I haven't seen his dubious English - I take it that it is in the survey. However as for the so-called 'University Graduates' you hear on the steam wireless, I cannot understand how they can get into university when they haven't even got O level English. So they have to begin every sentence with the word So. So I guess that on Day One at University they are all gathered into a big assembly hall and instructed that in future, in order to get a degree, they must forget all the English they were taught and start every sentence with the word So. So in addition to that, they have to raise their vocal frequency upwards at the end of every sentence, as if they are asking a question?
    At my school we were taught that correct English is in fact correct, and wrong English will lose you marks. If you lose marks, you will fail your exams. That seems straightforward to me. Apparently it doesn't apply any more.
    In that day you will cry out because of your king you have chosen. 1 Samuel v18

Comment

Originally posted by berwicklaw View Post
      Get a life and don't be so paranoid !! The kid just wants some help . though I doubt he will come asking for it here again.
      No need to be offensive. Graham and Pauline take their responsibility of keeping the forum a safe place for us all, very seriously. It is a time-consuming job, too.

If the student's request is genuine, he / she also needs to learn how to make such a request in a manner that is acceptable. Yes, he used a polite tone but additional information giving the reasons for the survey would have been helpful, and would have helped to prove it was a genuine college or possibly university project.

It could well be that the survey is genuine. Most of us are keen to help others, especially to help the younger generation. But we all need to be cautious when giving out information online.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
        I think this request is fraudulent and I would advise avoiding the link, it may cause all sorts of problems.
        If people are coned be what seams to banks and police YES we Must be careful.
        BuzznDave

Comment

My experience on computer security for the Med School was extensive, most Malware begins by offering innocuous clickbait questions and suckering in the victim until you give the sender(usually from a third world country,often Nigeria) the paydirt information they are really after, your money.
          It is far from "obvious" that the sender is a student, the poor english points at third world. Millions of people are robbed by these conmen every week. The best safety is DO NOT open any link from a begging letter email. Computer theft is a global industry and the conmen and thieves spend a lot of time and effort in appearing harmless.

A genuine student will provide information that can be checked.
          Last edited by Ian.C.S; 30-10-2016, 14:09.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I have sent a PM to TinkerAndSolder recommending that he persist with his efforts but that he should re-jig his survey including peer-review of the completed format, plus reviewing its English and spelling. That he should then then make a formal approach to our forum bosses requesting that they review the document and to post here a proper explanation of his course objectives and how the proposed survey might assist him in meeting them. I assured him that if he takes this approach he is likely to enjoy a decent response from helpful and experienced people. I consider that it would be churlish and mean-spirited of us to do otherwise.

If he has been totally put-off or is indeed a feral, Nigerian weasel with criminal intentions we won't hear from him again, if he does bite the bullet and make a second more reasoned and thoughtful approach I hope that we will match his effort. I spent my working life turning Callow Youths into competent young adults, so it goes against my personal grain to give them the brush-off when a bit of effort can be of real and lasting benefit.

("Pious Bu***r" you are all thinking .... I can take it!)
            Last edited by mikeroch; 31-10-2016, 12:32. Reason: contextual error

Comment

Sounds a fair enough approach to me Mike.
              Geoff

Comment

I too worked as an assessor for the local college and had many youngsters under my wing. Not only has this person not had the courtesy to ask the moderators if they can post a questionnaire in the first place, they have not had the decency to respond and contact the moderator, after reading the posts following their contact.

I think it is important for youngsters to experience this kind of negative response as they will learn more from it than acceptance of bad manners and lack of protocol. They need to experience real life responses and act to correct any errors. The world is not always a friendly place and internet can produce fear and anxiety in anyone if they are asked questions.

internet fraud is really problem and it occurs to me that tutors/teachers etc are clearly not explaining this to students who are asked to organise questionnaires or surveys. Surely explaining protocol and issues should be part of any project.
                Last edited by Flo; 01-11-2016, 09:12.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroch View Post
                  I have sent a PM to TinkerAndSolder recommending that he persist with his efforts but that he should re-jig his survey including peer-review of the completed format, plus reviewing its English and spelling. That he should then then make a formal approach to our forum bosses requesting that they review the document and to post here a proper explanation of his course objectives and how the proposed survey might assist him in meeting them. I assured him that if he takes this approach he is likely to enjoy a decent response from helpful and experienced people. I consider that it would be churlish and mean-spirited of us to do otherwise.

If he has been totally put-off or is indeed a feral, Nigerian weasel with criminal intentions we won't hear from him again, if he does bite the bullet and make a second more reasoned and thoughtful approach I hope that we will match his effort. I spent my working life turning Callow Youths into competent young adults, so it goes against my personal grain to give them the brush-off when a bit of effort can be of real and lasting benefit.

("Pious Bu***r" you are all thinking .... I can take it!)
                  Mike - I hope you are right and said student will review his/her efforts and put in a decent questionnaire/survey with an appropriate explanation of his objectives and I for one will respond willingly, but you cannot blame rest of us for being cynical. Also I do feel that before any student puts a questionnaire/survey online - some tutor/lecturer should oversee it and point out the problems eg the fact that many people will see it as scam unless s/he explains properly his/her objectives

Comment

Can we close this thread on move on?

It's a suspicious link...it's may well be just a student but looks like we will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
                      Mike - I hope you are right and said student will review his/her efforts and put in a decent questionnaire/survey with an appropriate explanation of his objectives and I for one will respond willingly, but you cannot blame rest of us for being cynical. Also I do feel that before any student puts a questionnaire/survey online - some tutor/lecturer should oversee it and point out the problems eg the fact that many people will see it as scam unless s/he explains properly his/her objectives
                      Sorry for being inactive. I have been looking at the actual survey results instead of coming to the forums to check. I will now explain myself.

I am currently studying a BTEC level 3 Engineering course at the Isle of Wight College and as part of this, we need to do a project. This year is to design a campervan/motorhome.

As market research, I am trying to collect results to find out what people think of campers.

Once the results have been collected I will use these results in a report which will then help decide what the campervan looks like and other characteristics of it.

If you think of anything else that isn't in the questions, please use the other comments section at the bottom

I hope this clears up that it's spam for everyone as its just an honest survey

Comment

I have contacted the admin to sort out the reinstatement of the link but you guys also deserve an explanation.

I am currently studying a BTEC level 3 Engineering course at the Isle of Wight College and as part of this, we need to do a project. This year is to design a campervan/motorhome.

As market research, I am trying to collect results to find out what people think of campers.

Once the results have been collected I will use these results in a report which will then help decide what the campervan looks like and other characteristics of it.

This is all the data is going to be used for.

I hope this clears it up for everybody and I may get some more results

Comment

I've had a very nice message from the original poster as follows:

I have came here to apologise about the discussion that can be found here

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...Project-Survey

I didn't explain myself properly but am able to.

I am currently studying a BTEC level 3 Engineering course and as part of this, we need to do a project. This year is to design a campervan/motorhome.

If you would be able to reinstate the link, it would be much appreciated as I haven't collected many results (10 to be exact) and I honestly didnt expect some of the replies I got.

If anyone would like to do the survey now we have all the information and help this young chap out the link is here.

https://goo.gl/forms/xfHXXKBlBMcWC4Tp2

Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            I've had a very nice message from the original poster as follows:

I have came here to apologise about the discussion that can be found here

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...Project-Survey

I didn't explain myself properly but am able to.

I am currently studying a BTEC level 3 Engineering course and as part of this, we need to do a project. This year is to design a campervan/motorhome.

If you would be able to reinstate the link, it would be much appreciated as I haven't collected many results (10 to be exact) and I honestly didnt expect some of the replies I got.

If anyone would like to do the survey now we have all the information and help this young chap out the link is here.

https://goo.gl/forms/xfHXXKBlBMcWC4Tp2

Thanks graham! I appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by TinkerAndSolder View Post
                              Thanks graham! I appreciate it
                              You're welcome good luck with your studies.
                              Graham
                              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Done!
                                Geoff

Comment