In search of battery boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In search of battery boxes

I'm in search of a couple of battery boxes to hold two 220Ah batteries H: 240mm x W: 275mm x L: 513mm.

They're going into my new camper as a temporary measure so I don't want to spend a great deal of effort installing them but there again they need to be properly covered.

I haven't found anything so far, does anyone have any ideas?

They'll be going in front of the cupboards by the side door. and secured in place.

discount shops?

I was in 'Poundstretcher' the other day and noted a big pile of lidded plastic storage boxes in various sizes, taking your measuring tape for a stroll there and to other places of the same ilk: 99p stores, pound shops, Wilko, might bear fruit? Something like this perhaps http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/tex-box-5 570mm x 380mm x 272mm ?
    Last edited by mikeroch; 19-11-2016, 08:12. Reason: add link & dimensions

Comment

Brilliant idea, Mike, and much cheaper than a 'proper' battery box, which is much the same thing. Would you need to drill a few holes into it? Or do they just need a bit of space inside? I was going to get a battery box for my battery in the caravan (in the front locker) but the battery itself is such a tight fit, there's no way a battery box would fit in there as well. As my caravan has been around since 1982, I thought it was probably ok as it is - although I have moved the gas bottle over to the other side, as far away as I could get it.

Comment

Glad that idea appeals JayJay, as far as your too-tight battery space goes you could get a really robust polythene bag like the sacks fertiliser or bird feed comes in and put the battery in that to contain any spills, the breather pipe would be to be routed outside, down and away to the outside through the floor of the compartment. Strictly speaking batteries should be fixed down (MoT failure on cars if they aren't) in case the vehicle turns over, so a webbing strap and some robust hooks set in the floor should do the trick. It wouldn't be pretty but it'd probably work OK!

These boxes look a bit lighter in construction than the 'proper' battery boxes which are generally heavy duty Polythene or Polypropylene, so fixing them down would need a bit of thought, however you do it the battery will need to be secured and the breather routed outside somehow ... a ratchet strap perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
          Brilliant idea, Mike, and much cheaper than a 'proper' battery box, which is much the same thing. Would you need to drill a few holes into it? Or do they just need a bit of space inside? I was going to get a battery box for my battery in the caravan (in the front locker) but the battery itself is such a tight fit, there's no way a battery box would fit in there as well. As my caravan has been around since 1982, I thought it was probably ok as it is - although I have moved the gas bottle over to the other side, as far away as I could get it.
          I suppose that a battery not in a box is OK as long as it cannot slide around. But perhaps the best way to secure it is in a box which is screwed or bolted to the floor.
          Of course the secondary (or perhaps primary) function of a box is to reduce the fire or explosion risk of the flammable Hydrogen gas emitted from the battery when under charge if something metal is accidentally dropped on it and causes a spark. But remember that if vented at the BOTTOM the lighter than air Hydrogen will be collected rather than dispersed. And if you cannot imagine what Hydrogen can do than think of the Hindenberg. Ideally, battery box vents should slope upwards.
          Jim.
          Last edited by Twolitre; 19-11-2016, 10:56.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

My campervan, and the motorhome I had before, both have the leisure battery under the driver's seat, no box. And that from professional converters - Swift and Autosleeper!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. I've modified my idea after wielding a stick of inches and found a solution.

Comment

Sre the Sealed type Batteries vented ?

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                  Sre the Sealed type Batteries vented ?
                  Aahhh. You have asked a question which has puzzled me. But if they are sealed and cannot be topped up then or leak then surely they cannot be any other than gas-tight too?
                  Jim.

I must confess though that I have had no reason or urge to find out.

Comment

I have a leasure batter on each side of the demountable right up under the end of the bed where the pod wraps around the sides of the Van and they are wedged in tight and cannot (easily) move, but i have no vent pipes fitted to them, as i beleive the are the sealed type !

But i will have to check

Comment

I have two of these.

http://www.halfords.com/camping-leis...-battery-70-ah

The data sheet states "Wet Flooded" but i will look to see if they are sealed and if they have a vent pipe's or not?

Comment

I couldn't find a battery box of suitable size for my van so have a sealed 135Ah battery secured via webbing strap and its terminals are covered by an overturned cat litter tray. It is vented with the breather tube routed through the floor.

Comment

Do any manufacturers sell motorhomes or caravans with leisure batteries built in and vented DOWNWARDS?
                          Since the dangerous hydrogen produced when a lead acid battery is on charge is LIGHTER THAN AIR and it will not escape downwards until ALL the air is displaced and the battery box has become a bomb!
                          Jim.

Comment

most batteries i have seen with a vent have a short section of clear tubing (like you use for the air line on an aquaium) that just pokes down beside the engine (when used on a vehicle)

If the batteries i have need's a vent of this type i will drill a small home out through the bae of the pond to accomidate it

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                              most batteries i have seen with a vent have a short section of clear tubing (like you use for the air line on an aquaium) that just pokes down beside the engine (when used on a vehicle)

If the batteries i have need's a vent of this type i will drill a small home out through the bae of the pond to accomidate it
                              That is so. but there is no cavity such as the space inside a battery box for a quantity of Hydrogen to collect dangerously.
                              Jim.

Comment