This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential Equipment for Newbies

Hopefully, within eight weeks we shall have returned from our first ever motorhome camping weekend in our R20 / Outlook! We are used to minimalist camping in a tent but realise that we will need some essential new equipment for all-year / all weather camping in our new vehicle, using sites with and without ECU. Any suggestions for essential items to start looking for?

My initial thoughts are:
    Propane gas cylinder (have just acquired one!) and propane regulater
    External silver screen
    Wheel chocks
    Hook-up cable
    750-1000w oil filled heater
    Site guides for the two big clubs...

Andrew

Originally posted by andsally View Post
    Hopefully, within eight weeks we shall have returned from our first ever motorhome camping weekend in our R20 / Outlook! We are used to minimalist camping in a tent but realise that we will need some essential new equipment for all-year / all weather camping in our new vehicle, using sites with and without ECU. Any suggestions for essential items to start looking for?

My initial thoughts are:
    Propane gas cylinder (have just acquired one!) and propane regulater
    External silver screen
    Wheel chocks
    Hook-up cable
    750-1000w oil filled heater
    Site guides for the two big clubs...

Andrew
    unbreakable wine glasses,
    tin/bottle/corkscrew
    first aid kit/asprin
    loo paper.not all CL`s provide.
    umberella,folding.
    notepad&pen.to write down all your good ideas to do/bring next time.
    A visit to Lidl or Aldi for all the long life foods,you dont need to travel so lite now.
    cooking equipment,your choice,double skillet? small pressure cooker? Remoska cooker?All have their advocates. Keep it small - only 2 burners.
    A handbrush and dust pan,small,plastic.mud gets in and you will spill things. In time I suggest a rubber backed hessian mat for just inside the door.
    A razor sharp kitchen knife.

I am sure the rest of our family will add to this and you will need a trailer for it all
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Yes - don't forget the hook-up connection. I thought that the one at the campsite came out like the petrol hose thingy at the petrol station; I thought you would just pull it out and then hook it up What a twit! The maintenance chap took one look at me and said, "I bet I know what you want" (maybe I am as cabbage looking as I am green) and when I said, "Guess then" - he said, "You haven't got an electric hook up connection!" It was really embarassing

He made one for us to use before we bought one. Recovered now

Barbara Anne

Comment

Essential equipment for newbies

I have always used doormats - even when I camped in a tent. Although they are expensive I use Turtle mats at home and in the camper because they work really well, are light. easily washable and best of all they seem to last forever!

I also took up the fitted carpet in my new R20 and replaced it with a cheap piece from a carpet shop and then bought Kilm rugs - bought at a motorhome show - on top. These are also easy to wash. It sounds rather over the top but means the inside of the van is free from mud and any spills are easily dealt with.

If it is muddy or wet outside the camper I also put down a small lightweight blue tarp just by the back door which is folded over if it rains to provide a dry area outside. I think a couple of blue tarps are essential as they take up little room when folded and have a multitude of uses!

Lizzie

Comment

My 'top-of-the-head' essentials:

Wind-up torch
          Ample water and a means of carrying more (eg collapsible water carrier, 2l mineral water bottles)
          Good set of thermals for chilly weather
          Warm sleeping bag (night temperatures can fall more than you expect)
          Rubber doormats with a good tread - easily stored beneath rubber mats in front footwell and good for gaining traction when parked on wet grass
          Netbook and dongle for mobile internet access

Comment

Hi,

That's all very good but i find a warm sleeping bag, and a few cool beers are the absolute bare essentials - ok tea bags for the morning if you have to insist

DJ Sooz

Comment

Just like you we are transferring from small tent to small campervan, interested to see what people think of as essential bits of kit too.

Comment

As a rider to the above, it seems incredible to me, but our awning (Movelite Square) is more than twice as big as our tent, but already I think our camper is looking full up with stuff, and to think we used to get all our camping gear in the boot of the car!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjuan View Post
                  As a rider to the above, it seems incredible to me, but our awning (Movelite Square) is more than twice as big as our tent, but already I think our camper is looking full up with stuff, and to think we used to get all our camping gear in the boot of the car!!
                  Only a boot full, when we went tent camping we had a boot full, back seats and rear footwells up to the windows and a roof rack.

Just take what you took before minus tent and sleeping mats, if you want to be really decadent put ordinary pillows in a stuff sack.

The trouble with awnings is that they encourage taking clutter, tables, chairs, stuff like that
                  Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Some interesting replies and much food for thought! Particularly karenw's suggestion to carry a couple of spare mats.

My good wife deems it a necessity to carry a full make-up bag although I insist that a half a bar of soap will suffice.

Several little essentials of ours whilst in a tent:
                    a good quality LED head torch,
                    a flint stick and striker to light gas stove in case lighters get damp,
                    portable radio,
                    a couple of bottles of wine for the first aid kit,
                    a pair of "croc" type sandles (about £5 a pair) between us for walking through wet grass. One can get them soaking wet and they will dry in an instant.

Comment

Just take what you took before minus tent and sleeping mats, if you want to be really decadent put ordinary pillows in a stuff sack.

hmm... wondering now if my pillows... duvet .. fleece blankets... and cushions are too much clutter....
                      I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                      http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

Ahh! Family camping was different, had a trailer 5 man (person) tent etc., but when it became just Sandra and me then a tent, sleeping bags, small stove and a pan kit was enough. First time I introduced Sandra to my type of camping I only had a one man tent, so it was very cosy! Eventually we graduated to a 3 man tent but never had anything we could actually stand up in. Fortunately Sandra had been accustomed to roughing it at Guide camps in the Outer Hebrides and in the snow in Northern Canada, so no problems.

Our new style of camping will be absolute luxury for us.

Comment

Length of blue transparent water hose with a funnel pushed in to one end, and one of those collapsible water containers, in case you have to fill the water tank by hand. We camped on a site very close to the drinking water tap, and it was much more convenient to use the funnel and water carrier than drive down to the motorhome service point.

If you intend to use a porta potti take a fluid that can be used in both tanks. We use Elsan Organic which is biologically friendly, and doesn't have the sickly sweet smell of some of the other brands.
                          Last edited by VonUK; 15-03-2011, 01:01.

Comment

Hello All

I have found that it is important to take some of your favorite food items. Sometimes things don't go as planned - the weather might be bad, or problems with the camp site, noise problems - then that is when you treat yourself to some of your favorite food and drink. I carry a packet of McVities chocolate digestives, a packet of crisps, and some cider. If all goes well on the trip You are allowed to consume them on the last night !

I also think that once you have decided exactly what you are taking with you, it is essential to make yourself a checklist. When I first started my checklist was four pages but now I am down to two. It is very reassuring when you drive out of your driveway to know that you have completed your checklist and nothing has been left behind.

Cheers
                            Ian

Comment

Good point regarding funnel and hose!

I like the idea of having the van equipped as such that all we would need to do would be to pack a change of clothes and the perishable foodstuffs, and just then drive away. Will certainly purchase another duvet and pillows that will stay in the camper.

We have got our tent camping down to a minimum, such as using tin mugs for both our coffees in the morning and wine in the evening, using a cork screw on a penknife to open them. It will be a luxury to carry a proper cork screw and to not have to drink wine out of tin mugs!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X