Extras at campsites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extras at campsites

A friend of Pauline's has recently bought a VW, it's there first camper van and they love it. They recently went for a two night stay at a campsite where the electricity was metered, they used the grand total of 38p for two nights electricity, on another site they were astounded to be asked for £4 per night for an electric hook up. Welcome to our world, it is disgusting that campsites charge this ridiculous amount to small motorhomes who hardly use any electricity and very often you have no choice but to pay it if you want a pitch.

Another rip off is a charge for awnings, why do some campsites charge an extra fee for them surely if they fit in the pitch they aren't taking up any more room than normal! A recent site we looked at wanted £20 per pitch, £4 for electric, £2 for an awning (no matter how small), £2 per dog. Camping is becoming very costly, we haven't got a dog but we did want to put a small awning up.

Rant over.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Graham - I can see some reason for electricity. Someone has to pay for the installation and infrastructure, safety checks, replacing dodgy equipment etc. I'm sure those campers without electricity would prefer it if those who need it pay for all that. Wifi is the same, I'm appalled at the price of Wifi on sites but if I don't use it I would also be unhappy about my pitch fees being hiked up by a couple of quid to subside it.

The awning thing is different. I can see an argument for paying more for an extra 'tent' but they don't make large motorhomes pay more than us tiddlers do they? If you are paying for a pitch then you should be paying for a pitch.

Dogs - I wonder if insurance is a cost, Liz got nipped by a dog at Berwick last year and had we been the complaining sort could have made an issue out of it. Also on that site I dropped my hook-up lead when unravelling and found my hands covered in excrement so I suspect site owners do have some cleaning up after inconsiderate non-bagging owners. Personally as a grumpy, intolerant old git who doesn't own a dog I'd like to see site fees at £10 per dog minimum!! Apart from Berwick, several sites recently we've been plagued by yapping dogs, some very early in the morning - so we prefer dog-unfriendly sites!

Comment

I agree with everything you say!

The THS site I'm off to soon (admittedly no EHU, toilets or showers available) is £8 for the piece of grass upon which you are parked... but the site proper has a charge for your unit, a charge for EHU, a charge for an awning, and a charge for the dog. Making a grand total of £20 a night... Oh, and a £5 deposit for a key if you need to use the disabled loo facilities.

I am beginning to think that, although it's said that EHU on sites has to be non-profit making, it actually is. I don't even use £4-5 a night electricity at home!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        A friend of Pauline's has recently bought a VW, it's there first camper van and they love it. They recently went for a two night stay at a campsite where the electricity was metered, they used the grand total of 38p for two nights electricity, on another site they were astounded to be asked for £4 per night for an electric hook up. Welcome to our world, it is disgusting that campsites charge this ridiculous amount to small motorhomes who hardly use any electricity and very often you have no choice but to pay it if you want a pitch.

Another rip off is a charge for awnings, why do some campsites charge an extra fee for them surely if they fit in the pitch they aren't taking up any more room than normal! A recent site we looked at wanted £20 per pitch, £4 for electric, £2 for an awning (no matter how small), £2 per dog. Camping is becoming very costly, we haven't got a dog but we did want to put a small awning up.

Rant over.
        Just another example of the greed of some business people. They never seem to miss an opportunity of charging a bit extra - or a LOT extra in some cases! Makes me mad too.
        This morning I was looking on the website of a site I visit fairly frequently near Newbury; an independent one, not the CL I visited a few weeks ago. They too charge for just about everything, including now, I notice, for pup tents as well as awnings. I wonder how long it'll be before they start charging me to put up my loo tent! I also noticed that this year they've started charging per person, rather than per unit, so no extra for me to pay, being on my own, but it'll increase the cost for couples/families visiting the site. The site has some EHUs but if you don't want EHU you can at least park on one of the grass pitches, which are non-'leccy

I hope people will vote with their feet (or their wheels!) and boycott these greed-mongering profiteers. Probably the cheapest way of having a summer camping/caravanning holiday is to join a C&CC THS. Basic facilities, yes but you don't get charged for something you are not using!

Brian:

A bit mean wanting to charge £10 minimum for dogs on site?! Not all dog owners are irresponsible and it seems unfair to judge us all by the inconsiderate actions (or inactions) of the few. I too get annoyed by yappy dogs but how often do people complain to the site managers/owners about problem or noisy dogs? We'd rather grumble quietly to ourselves! There are lots of dogfree sites out there nowadays if you are really averse to sharing a site with canine campers.
        Cynthia.
        Last edited by CyberCynth; 13-06-2017, 13:25. Reason: Added a paragraph

Comment

I really don't understand why so many bother camping in the UK. In Spain if it fits on the pitch "no problemo" scooter, smart car? "no problemo". Then there's the abysmal weather that never misses a chance to spoil a UK 'holiday'.
          A friend came to stay with us in Benidorm so I just put a tent up at the back of our pitch, no charge for the tent as it's on our pitch, just 6 Euro a night for the use of showers and hot water.
          If your retired and got time it's a no brainer, not camped in the UK since 2013 and never looked back. (No offence meant to the many who love our expensive moist country )

Comment

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
            I really don't understand why so many bother camping in the UK. In Spain if it fits on the pitch "no problemo" scooter, smart car? "no problemo". Then there's the abysmal weather that never misses a chance to spoil a UK 'holiday'.
            A friend came to stay with us in Benidorm so I just put a tent up at the back of our pitch, no charge for the tent as it's on our pitch, just 6 Euro a night for the use of showers and hot water.
            If your retired and got time it's a no brainer, not camped in the UK since 2013 and never looked back. (No offence meant to the many who love our expensive moist country )
            Spain would be lovely for a long break but when you just want a two night away break then it's a bit far

Comment

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
              Hi Fletch, I love camping on the continent but it's not very economical to say I'll only camp in France or Spain! What about the cost of the ferry, the fuel and road tolls?
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                Personally as a grumpy, intolerant old git who doesn't own a dog I'd like to see site fees at £10 per dog minimum!! Apart from Berwick, several sites recently we've been plagued by yapping dogs, some very early in the morning - so we prefer dog-unfriendly sites!
                Brian you are a very brave man posting that on here, our canine loving friends will be up in arms if you're not careful.

Having said that I have every sympathy with your viewpoint, I'm not a great fan of dogs either or should I say SOME of their owners i.e. The inconsiderate ones.
                Graham

Comment

Hi Fletch, I love camping on the continent but it's not very economical to say I'll only camp in France or Spain! What about the cost of the ferry, the fuel and road tolls?
                  You've got to stay a month or 2 to make it worthwhile, that's why I mentioned you need time on your hands, and because you're staying longer you have got time to avoid the toll roads. The tunnel is about £10 per crossing with Tesco Clubcard and our last diesel fill up at Vinaros was 98.9 cents a litre, happy days.

Comment

Very sensible Graham.
                    I could moan about having to pay the same to pitch my Romini as those with everything And the kitchen sink outfits.
                    If I go abroad I choose to stay in hotels anyway.
                    I generally go out with my Romini four or five times a year - mostly to rallies or meets, but also to car club events.
                    I could not afford to pay the charges for GOING abroad several times a year.
                    As it is my caravan usage is well within my OAP.
                    Jim.
                    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I would prefer all electric to be on a metred basis as we don't use a great deal. Just the fridge and a few lights really.

Extra charges for awnings annoy me, as has already been said, if it fits on your pitch then it should be included in the price.

Dogs are a contentious issue. We try not to take Monty with us if possible. He doesn't enjoy camping anymore and it limits where we can go. Luckily we have some friends who love dogs but can't have one of their own for various reasons so Monty goes on his holidays with them, or sometimes to my parents instead. When we are forced to take him with us i won't pay more than £2 a night for him. Any more than that is excessive in my view.
                      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Just back home from our short break on the C&CC CS site.

IT was expensive at £17.50 per night, including electric, but she didn't charge for the utility tent. Had we wanted to sleep in it however, the charge was increased by £3 per night.

It was a very very quiet site, despite being literally just off the A21 and was quite picturesque in that there were, chickens, turkeys, alpacas, Soay sheep, wild fox and rabbits (which made tasty meals for Mr Fox)

Would I give it a five star review? Nice as it was, probably not. There were three toilets and one shower. Not a lot of facilities but then this was a CS so contained much more than the general run of the mill CS.

The thing that threw me was that all three toilets were unisex and in the same building so I could (in theory) be walking in there hoping for privacy in the loo to find a man shaving at the sink. It didn't happen but the thought was always there.

The shower was free and excellent.

The other spoiler were the Pylons which ran straight across the back of the site, not many feet away from us and when the air was damp is sizzled all the time.

It made a very pleasant break. We got a lot done in terms of National Trust and RHS partner garden visits so we really should be satisfied.

Another visitor came up to us before we left and started chatting and she hadn't even noticed the noise from the pylons or appeared bothered by the proximity. It was her third visit to the site so she obviously loved it.

Obviously the £17.50 was to cover the cost of the outlay (they have only been going since 2014) of supplying water and electricity but I bet the cost doesn't come down in the future

Comment

Another visitor came up to us before we left and started chatting and she hadn't even noticed the noise from the pylons or appeared bothered by the proximity. It was her third visit to the site so she obviously loved it.
                          Maybe she was hard of hearing! I wouldn't camp close to electricity pylons either - they have been linked to leukemia. They refused planning permission here for a housing estate with pylons running through the fields for health reasons.. although it was right next to the M6 and all the exhaust fumes as well!
                          Who on earth would even want to buy a house on land with those things there anyway!

£17 a night! And that's supposed to be a 'cheap' CS site? I think they are having a laugh.

Comment

The cheapest CL I have seen is Manor Bungalow in Lincolnshire it's £9 a night including electricity and no extras for awnings, dogs etc.

It's been that price since they opened around 2011, although there are no toilets or showers it is very cheap these days.

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                              Maybe she was hard of hearing! I wouldn't camp close to electricity pylons either - they have been linked to leukemia. They refused planning permission here for a housing estate with pylons running through the fields for health reasons.. although it was right next to the M6 and all the exhaust fumes as well!
                              Who on earth would even want to buy a house on land with those things there anyway!

£17 a night! And that's supposed to be a 'cheap' CS site? I think they are having a laugh.
                              Well, I went by the high reviews and they all raved over how quiet the site was (definitely - couldn't fault it)
                              How spotlessly clean it was - hmmm
                              How quaint it was with all the animals - definitely.

Not one person mentioned Pylons behind you, in close proximity, because, like you, I would not have entertained the idea. Must just be us I suppose

John said that for four nights it was unlikely to make a difference health wise but living there !!!! Not for me.

The site was secure because going in and out you had to undo a flipping tightly wound, combination lock thingy and my fingers really struggled to cope.

Never mind, it was a really good break. Probably not as good as the Bubble car meet would have been (certainly more expensive!) but it is what it is.

Comment